Schwinn 2001 Fastback Limited Older Racing Bike

2001 Fastback Limited

bianchibuddy   Road Racer [Jun 16, 2007]
Strength:

super light, comfortable, full dura ace, velomax wheels, compact frame

Schwinn went bankrupt and I got laid off......oh an no warranty from Pacific Cycles. I don't know that I will ever need a warranty, but I did buy the bike brand new

I have riden my Fastback Limited for 4 years and over 5k miles. It has been a tried and true friend that has been a pure joy to spend time with. I generally ride 20-30 miles in a ride, but have done a number of 50-70 milers and spent 3+ hours in one sitting and the Fastback has been more then comfortable! I highly suggest one!

Similar Products Used: GT ZR3000, Cannondale R700, Litespeed Capella, Serotta Colorado
Sablotny   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2004]
Strength:

The Schwinn name gets no respect in the paceline, but I love my bike. It was hand made in Boulder CO, rumor has it its a Yeti in disguise. Lighter than my friends' $$$$ Kestrels for 1/5 the price. Climbs like a billy goat, has held up to my 177-200 pound weight with ease for 5,000 miles. Stiff to hammer, not bad on the body (like a previous Klein than punished me). $350 price tag, equivalent to a $900 flyweight aluminum frame from Titus or elsewhere.

Not much panache from the Schwinn name. Decals don't hold up, but the powdercoat finish has.

I'm a mountain biker who grudgingly got into road biking 3 years ago. Bought the Fastback frame because it was dirt cheap (Schwinn was going thru one of its "transitions" at the time), 2.9 pounds light, and had a sloping top tube like my MTB's. Butted, RAD-shaped, intelligent frame design reminded me more of the latest MTB tech instead of tradition-oriented roadie stuff.

Similar Products Used: Klein Stage- only other road bike since the Varsities and Continentals of high school. Brutally stiff. THAT was the aluminum that deserves the bad rap.
lhadnus   Recreational Rider [Sep 03, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight; great wheels; sweet ride.

The only weaknesses are things I don't really care about.

Bought this bike because I need a bike for when I'm on a long-term project away from home--hate those travel bikes and don't want to keep lugging my other bike to and fro. All I can say is that I absolutely love it. This is my first aluminum bike and the ride is phenomenal. I really don’t need this light or fancy of a bike, but I couldn’t pass it up. The best thing about it is that it doesn’t look as cool as my Lemond, so my wife doesn’t know that I spent too much on my travel bike!

Similar Products Used: Lemond Zurich
eichholzer   Recreational Rider [Jul 28, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, great ride, component group, price.

Decals.

This bike replaced my Trek. When I came across it online and read the specs and the blowout price (Schwinn bankruptcy sale) I couldn't match it. Turned out to be the best and fastest bike I've owned. We have lots of major hills here, and it is a solid climber -- I am much faster on it than a year ago on my old bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek & Fuji.
PaulCsportsman   Road Racer [Feb 23, 2002]
Strength:

Acceleration,handling,ride,value,coolness. More proof that Mt.Bike technology has helped Road bikes!

Seat post clamp that came with the frame is inadequate, aluminum frame life expectancy.

I was attracted to the compact geometry and lightness, as well as the affordable price. The fit and performance of this bike is surprising. Mine is a large(56.5 virtual top tube) and it fits me perfectly. I''m 5''10, with a 30" inseam. The ride is stiff and resposive without being harsh. Something that I found surprising was the excellent "Italian" type handling. The sloping top tube is a real plus, it gives a lot of clearance and the smaller main triangle keeps the bike light and stiff. It would be hard to imagine anyone who is truely looking for performance, not liking this bike.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Zurich,Masi Team3V,Trek 2300,Bianchi Virata,Cannondale R600,Celo
nucmedman   Road Racer [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

Very light weight sprinter/crit bike super cool american made frame

No camio credit (no famous racer to emulate)

What a find!! Super rigid sprinting/climbing platform with a ceabon fiber seatpost to isolate my bootie from the road buzz. This is the best riding bike I have ever owned!!!

Similar Products Used: Trek XO, Cannondale CAD3, Trek 1200, Bianchi steel, too many others to mention
Asiago   Recreational Rider [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

Quick, very responsive, very nice climber. EXCELLENT value. No poser factor at all! Would give 10 stars if I could.

No respect, see poser factor above.

Great bike! Great ride! This bike is an absolute steal (especially at what I paid). With no upgrades, mine weighed in at 17.2lbs. My first aluminum and was quite pleased with how comfortable this ride is. More comfortable than my 10-year-old steel Bianchi Alfana (then an entry level racer with 105 group).