Trek 2001 5200 Older Racing Bike

2001 5200

steve   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2013]
Strength:

Stiff great climber fast on the flatts still the best bike ever built I've riden cervello giant bianci specilized kline cannndale none ride as nice or feel as nice as the 2001 5200 not even the madone

My firiend and I changed it to 10 speed compact crank new ultegra shifters and deralluers and it works beautifully the mechanic @ trek said it coudnt be done justbhave to find areal mechanic and anythings possable.what a great bike still solid after all those miles and still going!!!!!!!!

Attila   Road Racer [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

Handling. Came with 12-25 rear cassette; I had thought the 25 was too low, but I found that spinning on long climbs (Lance method) actually improves my climbing times significantly (time on an 11-km climb to a local ski hill went from over 50' to around 40'!). Or maybe this is just a really good climbing bike? I also like the San Marco ERA saddle. I've done 5-hour rides on it, no problem.

Shimano Ultegra left shifter is a piece of crap. Bike makes funny clicking noises at certain temperatures (usually when warmer). Cane Creek headset is not very durable, I need to replace the lower set of balls.

This was purchased in fall, 2000, at special team price. I normally ignore or laugh at bicycle road tests because my experience had been that you can create a greater difference in how a bike handles just by moving the brake levers 2 centimeters than there is between two different bikes with positions the same. The Trek 5200/5500 has been the first bike I've ridden (and I've been riding/racing for 30 years) where I've actually felt a difference in handling. Unlike any Italian or custom-made bikes I've ever owned, it is not skittish in turns. It corners like it's on rails. I have never ridden a bike where I've felt so much in control. The left Ultegra STI lever got very sticky unless the front derailleur was kept very well lubed. I replaced this with Campag Daytona left lever, now it shifts flawlessly, plus I can trim the derailleur. I like the right Ultegra shifter because it shifts very smoothly and I use the Dura Ace "bubble" gear indicator with it. Yes, gearshifting with mixed levers does scramble your brain for a couple of weeks, but now I'm used to it. I may yet change this to Campag as well if I can figure out how to mount the bubble, since on the upshifts, the Shimano system does the shifting on the release of the lever. I prefer the shift to happen at the activation part of the cycle. Color is "carbon smoke," very nice. I don't mind having all the graphics.

Similar Products Used: Older Trek 5500 with 150gm/m carbon. Unfortunately, this was stolen when I was in Prague; the 5200 (120gm/m carbon) was the replacement.
wielerpret   Road Racer [Aug 13, 2002]
Strength:

Low weight etc. etc. See all the above.

A bit loud on the Trek logos: two on every single tube; Volkswagen(!) and Shimano are just too much. Too expensive for me at full price, but now that I ve ridden it for some time (and approx. 9200 km)maybe I would have payed that massive sum after all. Its a once in a lifetime purchase to me (I reckon). With last years' color and a few minor logo imperfections I got a pretty hefty discount on the frameset. The combination with Ultegra Triple didn't work for me because of endless rattling and inability to shift to the 52 blade. I think this might be due to flex in the carbon under stress because on the stand it all worked perfecly well. When on a ride it invariably screwed up after two hundred kilometres or so. The mechanics started to frown a bit, baffled when I started calling in with my complaints every week, and I decided to take a deep breath and go for the full Campagnolo Record gruppo with 2 front blades and Campy wheels, after which I never looked back. I worry a bit about the sensitivity of carbon to sharp hits of e.g. small rocks on stony roads and the longer term warranty regarding my initial discount purchasing price of approx. Eur. 2000, with the Ultegra and Rolf

My absolute dream bike; best I've ever owned and I will probably ever ride. Agile and comfortable. Climbs like a squirrel, even with the 39 x 26 in the Appenines, and seems to want to go by itself. Shock absorbtion to me is unequalled in combination with Campy Nucleon wheels, Fi:zi:k Pave saddle, Easton carbon handlebars and Record seatpost. A little less perfect with Rolf Vector Comp wheels. Lovely lines. This bike should well last me until retirement 25 years from now, and beyond.

wielerpret   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2002]
Strength:

Low weight etc. etc. See all the above.

A bit loud on the Trek logos: two on every single tube; Volkswagen(!) and Shimano are just too much. Too expensive for me at full price, but now that I ve ridden it for some time (and approx. 9200 km)maybe I would have payed that massive sum after all. Its a once in a lifetime purchase to me (I reckon). With last years' color and a few minor logo imperfections I got a pretty hefty discount on the frameset. The combination with Ultegra Triple didn't work for me because of endless rattling and inability to shift to the 52 blade. I think this might be due to flex in the carbon under stress because on the stand it all worked perfecly well. When on a ride it invariably screwed up after two hundred kilometres or so. The mechanics started to frown a bit, baffled when I started calling in with my complaints every week, and I decided to take a deep breath and go for the full Campagnolo Record gruppo with 2 front blades and Campy wheels, after which I've never looked back. I worry a bit about the sensitivity of carbon to sharp hits of e.g. small rocks on stony roads and the longer term warranty regarding my initial discount purchasing price with the Ultegra and Rolf setup. (The abovementi

My absolute dream bike; best I've ever owned and I will probably ever ride. Agile and comfortable. Climbs like a squirrel, even with the 39 x 26 in the Appenines, and seems to want to go on its own. Shock absorbtion to me is unequalled in combination with Campy Nucleon wheels, Fi:zi:k Pave saddle, Easton carbon handlebars and Record seatpost. A little less perfect with Rolf Vector Comp wheels. Lovely lines. This bike should well last me until retirement 25 years from now, and beyond.

Similar Products Used: Nothing quite similar really. Huissoon steel (Columbus tubes)with Mavic crankset, OFMega rear derailleur, Shimano 105 brakes and FIR wheels; Kinesis Superlight Alu frame (cheap and nasty)and Faggin
Uncle Tim   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2002]
Strength:

Light. Stiff. Shock absorbing. Superior climbing characteristics. Geometry that stretches you out (especially good for those with relatively long torsos)

Could come with Dura Ace components! Too many ugly decals (I have the white race version with decals everywhere). They could have maybe added a better set of wheels than the Rolf Vector Comps. But no real problems. Oh, the stock saddle was unbearable.

I bought this bike new in early April of 2001. Since then, I've logged about 6300 miles. I have been very pleased with my purchase since this bike does so many things well. It has to be one of the best values in the market. The bike is very light, weighing somewhere around 17.5 lbs. Though I consider myself to be a "recreational rider", I ride a lot of group rides that end up being impromptu races. The Trek 5200 is a great climbing bike; I've dropped many a strong rider while on this thing. This bike maximizes my performance, whether it's a short group ride or a century. The real strength of the Trek 5200 is that it is very comfortable for long rides and, since I ride a lot of centuries each year, this is critical. The carbon frame really does eat up a lot of the road vibration, but it never compromises performance. When I stretch out and apply that little something extraon the pedals, the bike responds by going fast. If I am on your wheel, you are going to have to work hard to drop me. My bike came with a full Ultegra group at purchase. I've had two failures since: 1) the bottom bracket was shot at 3700 miles and 2)the right shifter failed at 6200 miles. I added Campy Daytona pedals which served me well for about 5200 miles. I have replaced them with a new pair of Campy Centaur pedals. Also, I had the infamous Rolf Vector Comp creaking in the front fork. A touch off grease on the inside of the dropouts and it vanished. I am still riding those wheels. If I had money to burn, I would upgrade to Dura Ace, especially the shifters. Too many ppl are having trouble with Ultegra shifters. I am also going to retire the Rolf Vector Comp wheelset after this season. Thinking about the new Mavic Ksyriums.

Similar Products Used: Aluminum Treks (2200 and 2000)and Cannondales (CAAD2 and CAAD3); old Nishiki racing bike.
Duane Gran   Road Racer [Jan 03, 2002]
Strength:

comfort weight steady handling

appearance (too many decals) icon parts

I have ridden about 10,000 miles on this bike and it was my primary road racing bike last year. I spent about 3 months evaluating this and other bikes, but I kept coming back to the Trek. The 5200 for me was the right blend between comfort and stiffness. I''m particularly fond of the bike while climbing, both in the ascent and descent. The bike is sufficiently light for the climb, but not so light that it feels sketchy descending. Compared to my Giant (which has a shorter wheelbase and straight bladed fork) I am much more comfortable in technical descents. I encourage people to test ride the bike. I''ve been very happy and expect that I''ll own another trek in the future.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR 0
floatch   Recreational Rider [Nov 16, 2001]
Strength:

It gets up and goes when you want it to. Absorbs road shocks really well. Climbs like a... something that climbs really well. Lightweight. Incredibly beautiful. Fork feels good.

I had to true the wheels after about the first 50 miles, but that''''s true with any bike.

Holy crap, this bike is beautiful. I have the smoke color, but the carbon weave can be seen. This bike is light, fast, and wants to go fast every time you get on. It''''s no good for sightseeing, as you forget about looking around, and just hammer until you''''re dead. I love the way it looks up at me, as if to say "Come on... is that all you''''ve got?" I swear, everytime I walk past my bike (it''''s on the trainer right now), I swear it''''s got the look of a puppy that wants to go out! I currently own 5 bikes, and none of them call to me like this one does. You know what I''''m talking about... it wants to be ridden ALL the time! If you''''re looking for a bike to go fast on, get a nice OCLV trek. If you understand the love a person can have for a bicycle, get one of these. This bike has a soul, and it''''s the soul of a hyper puppy dog. It just wants to run. About the price, it was an employee purchase. Expect to pay more.

Similar Products Used: This IS my first road bike, so you can take my review with a grain of salt. However, like I said earlier, I have lots of bikes, and lots of love for my bikes. This bike is my new favorite.
jholcomb   Road Racer [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

OCLV, Ultegra, Rolf Wheels, Light, Fast.

When I got it it had a bent front fork dropout, took like a week to get a new one in, but the new one has the wrong stickers on it. Supposed to recieve the newly stickered one, that was 4 months ago. Still looks good and rides great. The seat looks awsome with the postal embroidery, but rides crappy. I have riden bikes for 8 years, and the first time I got numb nuts was on this saddle, Planning on replacing with a Flite Gel.

I love this bike. Carbon fiber is the best. When I am out riding, my buddies on alumminum bikes complain when there is rough roads and then I just go "ahhhhhh". OCLV is the best carbon fiber on the market. At my shop we had a bottom bracket lug of OCLV, and we gave it hell. Hammers, mallets, wrenches. Didnt even phase it, just compressed then returned to normal. Then the final test: A Jeep. Yes, we ran it over with a Jeep. It got very flat, but went back to normal.