BikeE 2001 CT 2.0 Older Recumbent Bike

BikeE 2001 CT 2.0 Older Recumbent Bike

[Nov 10, 2003]
Turtleman

Strength:

Low cost, easy to ride for new 'bent users. Easy to outfit for commuting. Fits on a standard truck rack. Gets lots of attention. Of course, since it's a 'bent, you don't have any neck, back or hand soreness, and you can enjoy the scenery. Gets lots of attention.

Weight distribution is terrible. Lots of problems with sore rump and numb toes. Internal 3-speed hub is tricky to adjust and often shifts of its own accord. Bike is slow and heavy and performs poorly on long rides.

This is my first recumbent, and it has allowed me to continue bicycling after my urologist told me never to ride a wedgie again. I bought the BikeE because it was the easiest bike in the lineup for a first-time 'bent rider to handle and it was (comparatively) cheap. It is fun on short rides and a good commuter bike. I've had lots of problems with foot numbness and my rump gets very uncomfortable. It does not climb well but does handle well at high speeds (35+). My weight is almost 100% over the back wheel (and I'm only 5'7"), causing the front wheel to LIFT OFF THE GROUND on hard uphill accelerations! (I also burned through the stock Primo V-Monster rear tire in 4,000 miles). Long rides are a chore on this bike, with rides of more than 35 miles requiring a lot of training, patience and off-the-saddle breaks.

Test rode Lightning Thunderbolt & a few others I no longer remember

[Mar 15, 2002]
emptysea

Strength:

Quality - versatile

Not a race bike - Want to race? go spend $2000 on up for a low racer that is very impracticle and fairly unsafe on public roads.

A very good bike for about everything other than racing. Has a very high quality look. Some people say that the Bikee seat isn''t to comfortable but its not far behind the Rans seat (and I''m a big guy). Its a comfortable bike and is great for going to parades, little-league games, etc.(the high seat lets you look over the heads of the people in lawn chairs).

Rans Wave, Turner LBE, and Lightning Stealth (still have)

[Nov 10, 2001]
mtbnaz

Strength:

Gets attention on the road.

The seat!!! Even the guy at the dealer said the seat was crap when I took it in to see how to adjust it. He said he would never buy a recumbent without an adjustable seat.

This bike is junk. This bike should have never been manufactured. Recumbents are suppose to be comfortable and that is there selling point. This bike is far from comfortable. I have been riding "wedgies" for over ten years and have never had even close to this much trouble. The first problem is that my feet kept going to sleep. I received several suggestions from the maker, the dealer and other "bent" riders. How fortunate was I, I was able to ride a whole 4 miles before having to stop. The next and worst problem was that I had pain in my gluteal muscles. Every one I talked to said that you had to adjust the seat. I looked in the manual then called the dealer which both told me how to adjust the seat. I went to the bike to make adjustments but wait the seat doesn''t adjust. A call to the manufacturer and they tell me they made a switch to what seats they put on the CT model but just never changed the manual. Don''t worry though you can buy a new seat for $250. I kept the bike for 3 months then made the smartest decision with the bike and sold it. Do not buy this model if you have to have a Bikee make sure and get a model with adjustable seat.

[Aug 04, 2001]
Jim Hunt

Strength:

Besides the nice price for a recumbent, the bike has other good features too. First, it rides smooth and straight down the road. It has a nice 21 speed Sram shifter set. The seat adjusts easy and unlike may recumbents, you sit at the same basic height at a regular bike. The seat also adjusts very quickly so you can share the bike with other riders without much fuss.

Once you get some riding, you might find the top gear a little limiting for speed. No shock make the ride rough on crummy roads.

Good choice for getting into recumbent riding. Looks cool and generates a lot of interest from the general public. You may find this to be a one or two season bike before you want a more advanced model. (I plan to upgrade next year.)

Note: It isn't hard to ride and keep a smooth line for a beginner to recumbents.