Airborne 1999 Zeppelin Older Road Bike

Airborne 1999 Zeppelin Older Road Bike

1999 Airborne Zeppelin

[Jun 30, 2002]
homec

Strength:

works fine when aligned

went out of alignment. My steel frame bikes (KHS) never did

I bought this bike as one on the best compact designs available. It was the first road bike that really fit me. I had no problems until last year when the frame went out of alignment. I didn't know that it was out-of-alignment until today when I couldn't ride home. Someone stopped to tell me and helped me fix it enough to get home (6 miles)

1993 Performance Road bike made by KHS

[Dec 14, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

Ti frame at a great price Full ability to customize all components Customer Service Smooth ride

My only complaint is with one of the components, the FSA headset.

For a Ti frame, this bike is an excellent combination of quality and cost. Excellent job by customer service in sizing me for the bike, and delivery was impeccable. This bike rides extremely smooth during all aspects of the ride, uphill, downhill or on the flats.

First road bike

[Jul 20, 2001]
Jason

Strength:

Cool Ti frame at a reasonable price.
Ability to customize the components.

This is a great bike. I have 1,600 miles on it so far and the only problems have been with components (broken spoke, pedal noise). The ride is comfortable and responsive. The finish is excellent. I looked at other bikes with "bigger" names and decided I could get a lot more bike for the buck with Airborne. I was right.

Buy this bike if: You want a great Ti road bike for a reasonable cost.

Don't buy if: You absolutely must have a big name and you have money to burn.

[Jan 29, 2001]
Tom Duval

Strength:

Good looks, great handling, fast and very comfortable. Customer service was excellent too.

None.

As a 51 year old runner, I was looking to include more cycling into my workouts and I wanted a "lifetime" bike. The online bikefinder decision tree recommended the Zep based on my input so after much research and some test rides of comparably priced aluminum and steel bikes at local bikeshops, I decided I wanted a titanium frame. I was a little anxious about making such a purchase on-line without benefit of a test-ride but I've had the Zeppelin for a month now and I'm completely satisfied and would recommend this bike to anyone. Mike in customer service was excellent and took the time to make sure I was sized properly. Make sure you take your arm-length and trunk measurements, not just inseam to ensure proper frame sizing. Buy this bike. You'll be glad you did!

25 year old 10 speed and Diamondback hybrid

[Nov 13, 1999]
Clark
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

light weight, fits me perfectly, perfectly assembled, very stable

None apparent.

excellent road bike. Very light weight. Very stable; I rode it on the sidewalk up and down steep hills and stopped at each intersection. It is very stable at high speeds too.

Trek 5000,

[Jan 22, 2000]
Lois Crawford
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Light, stable

I know nothing about bikes, only that I love to ride and as a post 50 woman am proud that I put over 2000 miles on my Airborne Zephelin by the dawning of the year 2000. bike. As I don't any have bicycle knowledge or savy, I can't intellegently discuss components or bike mechanics, but I can say that the staff at Airborne have been very helpful and fun people to work with. If adustments were needed to be made the new parts were at my front door in a couple or days. I received my Airborne the end of May.

[Mar 30, 2000]
Mike La Rotonda

Strength:

Lightweight, good/strong welds, great design, nice look

Haven't found any yet

Great bike for the money. You will not find another Titanium bike for this price. The customer service is great as well. I ordered this bike online and received it in less than 2 days.

The ride itself is smooth and quick. The titanium/Ultegra combo is unbeatable.

[Mar 30, 2000]
DownhillSteve

Strength:

*PRICE
*Strong component package
*Very light
*Price
*Geometry
*Did I mention price?

You can't ride it around the parking lot before you buy it. Need to find a friend who has one.

If you're comfortable with ordering a bike remotely, this bike is a steal. I had been familiar with Airborne through their ads before but when a co-worker got a Zeppelin in the mail and I got to see it at the office I was hooked!

I got to check it out and ride it and I happened to also be in the market for a new bike. I am a mountain biker and aspiring triathlete with an upcoming event so I was looking for new bike myself.

I went to local bike shops to check out other bikes in the sub-$2,000 price range and checked out several Trek's and Bianchi. Try asking for a Titanium bike at a bike shop and you won't see anything under $3,000.

I went online and picked out exactly what I wanted. The wizard at www.airborne.net let's you pick all the components you want and calculates weight and price for you.

For around $1750 this thing came straight to my door with ultegra, upgraded fork, seatpost and shimano flightdeck. Smokin' deal. The people at Airborne are also very cool and helpful and the Web site has a wizard to help you pick exactly what you want.

The ride is silky smooth Titanium and the whole bike weighs in around 18 lbs.

If you are lusting after a titanium bike but don't have $5,000 to burn check 'em out, you'll be happy you did.

Numerous Trek's and Bianchi

[Apr 10, 2000]
SteveS

Strength:

quality for dollar spent

You can't test ride it before buying and if you don't know what size bike you need, then you will need some help in fitting

I was one of the first to take a risk on this bike, sight unseen, and it like the Airborne Lucky Strike I had purchased previously, has been a very happy surpise. Simply put the bike is more than excellent and I think it is one of the, if not "the", best bang for the buck currently available.

For my purposes, comfort was primary.(longer moderately fast rides and centuries) So many people go on and on about titanium frame flex, but mine does not have it. (size 54) I have loaned it to a Cat 2 or 3 racer who wanted to see how it felt and he noted no flex. So, I got a bike with comfort, that is not flexy, that has a lifetime frame replacement warranty all for $699. And it looks good.

Actually, I should use the word "had" not have as I sold the Z a couple of weeks ago. Decided the larger frame concept popularized by Rivendell works for me, so now I am awaiting a new size 56cm Zeppelin. If I sold one just to buy another, I must like the bike a lot. I do and it is Really excellent.

steel, aluminium, carbon fiber, carbon fiber composite, various brands

[Apr 28, 2000]
Robert Young

Strength:

Quality for the money
Light Weight
Customer Service

Decals

I'm 230 lbs so I can get just about any bike to flex, the Z goes where I point it. Downhills are my favorite (see weight) and on the switch backs the setup gave me my best time ever (Kings Mountain).

I compared the geometry to the LiteSpeed Classic/Ultimate series, the Z is very similar. Yes, welds and decals are not on par with a LiteSpeed product (Airborne head badge is neat though) but for the money there is no comparison - I could afford Campy components! (18.5 lbs total bike weight)

Yes, I would rather have a Seven (5 Star overall rating), but until then I'm enjoying my "Huffy"!

Litespeed Classic