Airborne 2001 Valkyrie Older Road Bike

• $1345-$2436
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Seamless Titanium tubing·
  • Oversized 1 1/8” Head tube
  • 40mm down tube
  • Size specific Top tube 31.8mm (50,54, 56cm), 34.9mm (58, 60cm)
  • Cold Worked GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) Rear triangle
  • Pump peg (56,58,60cm)
  • Seat stay mounted chain hanger (all sizes)

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 22, 2002]
    orans

Strength:

I love the smooth ride of titanium in combination with the stiffness and the corrosion resistance is great for a big sweater like me.

I chose a set of wheelsmith wheels with my complete bike and was not completely satisfied with the quality.

I have raced/ridden steel, fat tube aluminum, and carbon bikes since 1988. The Valkyrie is the best bike I have ever owned. Smooth ride, yet stiff and responsive. Titanium is great and the service/delivery at Airborne is better than the local bike shop. This bike has motivated me to get on the bike as often as I can and didn't break my budget now that I have kids.

Aluminum, steel, and carbon road frames

[May 10, 2002]
    Sandi

Strength:

Excellent cornering, super light and fast. Looks great! Super value. Customer service gets an "A".

None...

This is an excellent bike, I so pleased with it. Handles great, so light and a great ride. I ride about 60 miles a week and do at least 3 road rides/races a month. My bike has always done a great job for me and flys down descents without a problem, no vibration. Airborne gave us fast, helpful service. I can not complain at all about the overall experience! Its great! I would not hesitate to recommend Airborne as their next bike consideration. The bike is a work of art! Thank you!

I have a Bianchi Titanium mountain bike which I love. Also have a full suspension Cannondale mountain bike, but I only ride the Bianchi.

[Mar 04, 2002]
    rick920

Strength:

Well-built and finished with very clean weld profiles; good compromise between stiffness and suppleness; relatively light; finish is easy to maintain; frame/fork were a genuine bargain. I doubt that a boutique Ti frame would perform any better.

Ti looks surprisingly good, but a shiny new paint job still looks sexier to me.

The Airborne Valkyrie is a high quality frame at a very reasonable price. I bought the frame and fork for $699 from a retailer and built it up myself. I agonized over whether to buy a beautiful lugged frame or a rust-proof Ti frame (I live in a very rainy area), and settled on the Ti-framed Valkyrie for its price/value. I''ve owned Al and steel frames, but this is my first Ti frame. My impressions after nearly 2 months are that it is stiffer than either of my steel bikes, almost as light as my Al bike, and seems to transmit less road noise than any of my previous bikes--probably because of the carbon fork. Fitting any bike over the internet requires more knowledge and care than buying from a good LBS. The Valkyrie is a compact frame (sloping top tube) which makes fitting a little easier for someone like me with a longer torso and shorter legs than average. It''s best to keep in mind that a bike frame''s main function is to hold your hands, butt and feet in optimum positions relative to each other, without being too heavy or too flexible. If you measure the "triangle" between butt, feet and hands, you can make most appropriately sized frames fit most people using stem, seatpost and seat position adjustments. I measured the "triangle" on my most comfortable frame, then bought the Valkyrie in the size best suited to duplicating my optimum "rider triangle" (54 cm). My only fitting compromise is that I had to use 2" of spacers on my steer tube to get the bar height I find comfortable with the stem rise which "looks" best to my eye. I was a little cautious about using 2" of spacers, but the fork manufacturer (Kestrel) advised me that the Pro O/S with 1-1/8" Al steer tube can be used with up to 4" of spacers! When flexed in my basement, this setup is clearly more flexible than my previous quill-type fork setups. However, once on the road, the flex is not noticeable, even when out of the saddle while climbing steep hills. I don''t get any noticeable frame flex. With all my other road frames, I''ve been able to get the front triple derailer to rub while climbing out of the saddle. But not on this frame. Some people have commented that they prefer Ti frames with brushed or polished finishes, but I actually prefer the media-blasted finish of the Airborne. It doesn''t show fingerprints, and is very easy to keep looking clean and new.

Crescent Pepita Special (1971); Rocky Mountain Turbo (1996); Cramerotti Gara (2000).

[Feb 14, 2002]
    hosehead

Strength:

Quality, customer service, turn around time on the order, PRICE!!!

The decals are very cheesy...kinda like the stuff that covers up the numbers on a scratch off lottery ticket. They rub off almost as easily. Not exactlly a tradgedy. The WTB saddle that comes for free is a torture device and might as well be made of razor blades.

The Valkyrie is simply great, but the quality of the bike is not the best part about an Airborne. The fact that you can select each piece and custom build your bike is the best part. You can build it to your specific needs or demensions (to a degree). They review your selcetions before finalising the order which is helpful. They offer such a vast array of parts that you can build up a recreational bike or a ultra light high quality racer. The online feature where you select your parts is awesome. The price and weight of the bike changes with each selection you make as you make it. Their sight is great overall too. The valkyrie is a compact frame even though they don''t call it so. I got a 58 cm and it feels a bit smaller that my other 2 58 cm bikes. At first I wished I had gotten a 60 but i just adapted to the new feel. For the price, this bike is unbeatable. Why pay double for another Ti bike when you can have an Airborne decked out in Dura Ace and Campy stuff for 2 K or so??!!

uh.....none. This is my first Ti bike. I do have a Specialized Allez sport. Is that similar?!

[Dec 16, 2001]
    John

Strength:

Light, Stiff. Looks Great!

Disconnected from customer service with airborne during order process. They threw in a shirt to say "Sorry". Still have not received the tune up credit?

Beginner Triathlete, desired a bike that I could ride on long road rides and in triathlons. Wanted titanium and minimum Ultegra for under $2k. Valkyrie has been great. Was a little nervous at purchasing over the internet without being fitted or test riding, however, this bike fits better than the Cannondale that I test rode. Very happy with the bike, when I upgrade in a few years I will definitely consider another Airborne.

Trek, Cannondale

[Dec 13, 2001]
    hosehead

Strength:

Quality, price, custom set up, attractiveness and customer service. Nice welds and chainstay protector.

WTB tri-lite seat that comes stock on it is a torture device. (I''ll sell it to you cheap) Decals are not covered with any sort of protective coating and scratcheasily (who cares? Not me). Frames seem to run a tad bit small, I wish i got a 60 instead of a 58.

Excellence ala carte. I origionally went with airborne thinking they had such great prices on Ti bikes, which they do. But the best part about airborne is getting to custom design your bike piece by piece. The Valkyrie is great. I did 2 centuries in the first 2 days I had it. I''ve had no problems with it so far and love it.

Nothing Ti but have a Specialized Allez sport

[Dec 05, 2001]
    Scott

Strength:

Great bike, supurb value, best deal around for titanium, handles like a dream.

None really... it doesn''t have the finish detail of a Serotta -- but then again it''s less than 1/3rd the price. If you demand perfectly sanded welds and have lots of money, buy a Serotta.

When I initially ordered my bike 3 months ago, I was concerned that I might be compromising on the frame. After a friend purchased a similar bike, I was impressed with the overall frame quality. Precise tig welds, perfect frame alignment, no compromises. After three months, I can honestly say that I have no regrets and would buy another Airborne in a heartbeat. I''d choose it over a Litespeed Classic any day.

Schwinn Paramount

[Nov 15, 2001]
    scoobob

Strength:

I don''t really see how the frame could be better. Best material. Design similar to CADD4 frame, which I liked...until I saw this bike. Workmanship seems good. The ride is light and smooth. Is it psychology or is it the bike that made my second ride on this bike my best-ever-by-far-time on my regular ride? Either way, this bike is a rocket (no surprise) that I could afford (surprise). Oh, and even the seat (which I wanted to buy the bike without, so I could try a few from my local shop, but Airborne wouldn''t sell me the bike without) is more comfortable (to me) than my old Body Geometry. I did an MS150 3 days after I got the bike, and my ass was not critically injured. Cool. I use the bike for a regular 20 mile loop about every night, and to ride to work everyday. It does both well.

I got the 105 set-up. I don''t know if that has anything to do with it or not, but the back derauler does not want to stay adjusted. The back derauler has also developed an occasional but sort of embarrasing squeek, squeek, squeek. I expect a tune and adjustment from my regular bike shop will take care of these concerns easily, and Airborne will reimburse me for the cost of this, right? So no big deal..

The bike has required and still needs (after 2 months and almost 700 miles) minor adjustments, particularly to the back derauler. Nonetheless, great bike and great bargain. Frame design is very good. Ride is great - fast and smooth and just downright titanium!

Frame reminds me of the Cannondale 2200 I tested, but for the ti, of course. Also rode a Bianchi, a GT cyclocross and an old Velo de Nice(? - but it sure was nice). Schwinn Tempo for last 12 years.

[Nov 11, 2001]
    bikeme2

Strength:

no frame flex,smoothe,solid performer,light,hills (giddy-up)and go,down hills buckle up your seat belt gterat control.

none any more!

After riding this bike for some time i started feeling neck and arm stifness during my rides,climbing hills became more than a challenge,got in touch with airborne,to my suprise the problem was my stem!airborne exchanged it for a 80cm i was using a 100cm. and now its the best bike for the buck! AWSOME!

cadex,raliegh,atala,woodrup,canondale,torreli,miyata-pro

[Oct 30, 2001]
    velodude

Strength:

-Smooth ride-I do not notice parts of the road that made me cringe on my Cannondale -Climbs well -Accelerates well -All the Airborne folks have been great

-none-

I have been extremely pleased with this bike. Ride is titanium smooth, frame climbs well, no noticeable frame flex on climbing and acceleration. Smooth, fast, and efficient. This bike has given me a whole new appreciation for cycling. It is an all around great ride.

Cannondale-aluminum Fuji-steel