Bianchi 1999 Campione Older Road Bike

Bianchi 1999 Campione Older Road Bike

1999 Bianchi Campione, road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage components, Bianchi fork

[Aug 27, 2015]
Steve Blanchard

Strength:

Comfortable, reliable steel frame; smooth shifting low-end campy parts; good for long rides; rideable on dirt paths if you don't overdo it. Few component problems given age of bike; came with triple chain ring with granny gears for long climbs. Good tracking/steering on steep, curvy hills.

Stock seat will ruin your undercarriage; cheap pedals and tires. Heavy for bike with short road racer wheelbase. Flex in frame dampens acceleration.

I've owned my lime-green Campione for 15 years and have used it off and on for long rides in New York's Finger Lake Region, and at one time, for commuting. It's also done a fair amount of trail and gravel road riding. By now it's probably racked up 5,000 miles or so and I certainly feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Admittedly, I'm more of a runner than a cyclist and all the wrong muscles are developed. So I can't really do the bike justice in the sense of pushing it to the max. My impression, though is that the Campione was designed for someone who wanted a moderately fast and twitchy bike for training but that a strong rider would have found it too heavy for racing even back when it was built.

Who should buy it (assuming you can still find one in good condition today): Someone in good enough shape to enjoy long rides but for whom cycling is a secondary sport; someone who wants a fast commuter and is comfortable riding a (low-end) racing frame. It might be ok for a mini triathalon as long as you are just out to have a good time.

Who shouldn't: casual/inexperienced riders might find the short wheel base unnerving, uncomfortable, and unsafe. This is not a beginner bike.

n/a

[Jun 07, 2002]
Kurt

Strength:

Good frame, especially for recreational riding. A tad heavy for constant climbing.

Components and attention to detail. I've had to adjust everything on it. The bar tape came from together. The drive train and shifting is pretty poor. I've had some problems with the front derailer. I looked at upgrading but it wasn't worth the bucks so I bought a new one

Bike was initially poorly assembled by the shop. Constantly adjusting headset, truing wheels etc. Whole bike is a little heavy but rides well. I really like the frame. Components left something to be desired. Chainring is not true due to alignment with the bottom bracket. Not sure if that's the bracket, chainring or bb mount.

Trek 2300

[Aug 06, 1999]
Laura
Racer

Strength:

smooth shifting
nice light frame

I currently have a 1997 Campione and LOVE it. I love the campy components ~ nice and smooth.
I've passed many people on very expensive bikes going up hills on my campione ~ I think this bike is as good as any you can get.

Prior to this I had a Fuji.

[Oct 06, 1999]
A Raden
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Solid, comfortable bike. Good for high speed centuries.
Campy components
'97 model - lugged steel frame
Fit good for short rider

Can't really think of any

Great bike. Good to know you can get Campy componentry at this price level. I've put on about 14,000 miles so far.

Schwinn, Trek, Lemond

[Mar 24, 2000]
George Wisell

Strength:

Campy groups rule no matter what level you get. Very stable on dirt roads - where I live, you have a 90% chance of hitting it if you go for any kind of a ride.

Its a road bike, had to throw away the seat day 1. Stem is way too long, and whats up with the brakes on road bikes?

I'm not really a road rider, I just like to ride bikes so to pass Mud Season away I'll do a few miles on the road. Normally when I hit 40 mph I like to jump off stuff, but that probably wouldnt be good on a skinny tire bike. I wish that road bikes had better brakes than sidepulls, I feel that more power = more control. After all, races are won and lost in the corners. Cross bikes arent really set up for long hauls, but would be alot better on the dirt.

lots, I work in a shop

[Mar 24, 2000]
Teo

Strength:

Frame. Italian craftsmanship with ovalized and bent tubes. The steel frame makes you feel like you are carving turns like a downhill skier. Light and strong, but enough compliance to take out the harshness of New England roads.

Decals, paint, stock head-set, seat post, seat and pedals.

After a few hundred miles "Celeste" and I have begun a romantic, Italian love affair. She has begun to reply in passionate ways when I call to her. Oooo la la....Her rough edges have be refined with a few up-grades mentioned above. My heart beats faster just thinking of riding her on a warm Spring afternoon.
La Dolce Vita!!

C'dale R1000

[Feb 15, 2000]
Chilly Willy

Strength:

Great Italian Craftmanship on a light steel frame. I really like that way that the tubes are double butted and then shaped for strength and wind resistance. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the frame. And of course the campy components are the only way to go. Very comfortable frame on long rides, and stiff enough for good sprints. And I have to add that Campy shifters are so much nicer than shimano - adds to a cleaner appearance.

I wish the welds were a little prettier. My last bike was made by Mike Apple, and it was truly a beautifully put together frame (too bad the Ford Explorer that hit me destroyed it!) I have upgraded a lot of parts, but never because things were not working. At times, I wish there were less Bianchi decals. I feel like a billboard for "come steal me!" I could use a little less self promotion.

Great bike and components, great value for italian craftmenship. Good steel is underrated. Don't take flack for not owning aluminum. This is a great bike.

Tested a Specialized Allez A1, thought it was too stiff. also looked at cannondale, but too expensive for comparable components. I used to own a Custom Mike Appel bike. (crashed)

[Mar 30, 2000]
Matt Bookman

Strength:

Great bike for the price. Campy components standard - can't go wrong there. No maintenance problems to speak of in two years.

Not the lightest bike in the world, but probably pretty fair at this price.

I think that this is a great bike for the price. I'm not thrilled with the weight, but I could have solved that by spending more. I think that if you are looking for a quality, low-maintenance bike in this price range, you can't do much better.

[Apr 08, 2000]
JJ

Strength:

Decent handling and smooth ride. Bianchi Reparto Corse craftsmanship.

Way too flexy. Rubbery chainstays and bottom bracket. Weak dropouts resulted in a broken frame for me. Weight. You would figure that if something weighs as much as this bike, you would at least have a durable piece of equipment. Not quite, and I only weigh 180. Only recorded 4,000 miles in less than two years on this one.

Buy this bike to train on or use as a cruiser, don't buy it if you have any intention of riding seriously. Great bike for touring and centuries terrible for road races and crits.

Just bought a new Pinarello Surprise and loaded it with Record 10, Look HSC, Campy Vento wheels. Now this bike is a rocket!!

[Apr 30, 2000]
David

Strength:

Great for the price. I got the 1998 model for an awesome price. I love the Campy stuff on it for my first road bike. Feels pretty stable.

I don't know how to ride it. Didn't come with clipless pedals. Seat hurts.

I didn't know what to classify myself as, because I am really a mountain rider. I saw this bike and loved the price and the components. I can train hard on this in the mud season (I live in Vermont). Can't wait to get out again.