Bianchi 1999 Giro Older Road Bike

1999 Giro

1999 Bianchi Giro, road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 Triple components, Bianchi fork

Solar71   Road Racer [May 15, 2002]
Strength:

Price, Looks, Feel, Durability, and oh ya... SEX appeal ! ! !

SEAT!!! ouch!!!

This is my first performance bike. What can i say, I fell in love. Test road it one time, deal done. Felt to good, as if it was made for me. Just so you know, I tested many bikes at many different shops, not just the GIRO. So stable, fast, comfortable, inexpensive, and oh ya, DAMN SEXY ! ! !

Similar Products Used: none. but tried out many other bikes. At least 7 high performance road bike. none come close...
Stephen Colbert   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2001]
Strength:

reasonably light aluminum frame
Bianchi carbon fork takes away some of the road noise
very responsive in turns and stable at speed
great fit (for me)
climbs well (and has a triple for when I don't)
celeste!
Good shifting accuracy with 105 components. Rear was accurate and fast from day one. Front took some time to get right.

Seat
Pedals

2500 miles and still as happy now as when I bought it. I tested several bikes with triples in the 1000 - 1500 price range and new it was going to be the Giro as soon as I rode it. Excellent handling, light weight, good components, and it fit me. All that at a price my wife couldn't complain about. What a deal.

The only problem I've had was buzzing right shifter lever. A small piece of doublesided tape where the up and down shifter levers touched took care of that. Had my old Richey saddle on it but the leather has about had it. Put the stock saddle back on and plan to replace it soon.

I'd think this would be a good entry level racer bike if the triple were swapped out, but I've never been a racer so what do I know. I'd certainly recommend that recreational riders who enjoy climbing and long distance riding check it out.

Similar Products Used: Tested Cannondale, Lemond, Raleigh, Specialized road bikes in same price range. Couldn't find a Schwinn, so didn't compare.
Carter   racer [Dec 19, 1998]
Strength:

THIS BIKE ROCKS!! I've riden Trek, Shogun, Serotta, Lightspeed, and Bianchi. The Bianchi tops all. It climbs well, corners fast, light, durable, and an all around awsome bike. I had the shop exchange the triple for a double and had some ergo bars put on instead of the TTT's that the bike comes with. The Ritchey pedals are a nice touch but not necesary.

Bart   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 1999]
Strength:

stupidly light
awful purdy
carbon fork

my ass was traumatized by the stock seat

went in to buy bianchi eros. changed my mind when i picked up the giro and it weighed way less (and didn't cost that much more). subsequent test ride did not reveal an overly punishing ride, as i had feared, so the deal was clinched. the stock seat had me contemplating suicide after my first long ride, but i instead chose to replace it with a terry liberator ti comfort seat... huge difference! i am now deliriously happy with my gee-ro, um, year-oh, uh, actually i'm not sure how to pronounce it yet...

Similar Products Used: specialized allez
bianchi eros
gt zr3000
Ed Sanicki   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 10, 1999]
Strength:

Loved this bike from the moment I first tried it out. I found myself pedaling back to the bike shop with a big grin on my face. Once a setup problem causing flats from spoke nipples was corrected I haven't had a single issue with the bike's performance. Unless you can afford and need titanium, this might be the bike for you.

ROBERT WILSON   Recreational Rider [May 10, 2000]
Strength:

-QUALITY OF DESIGN
-HANDLING AT HIGHER SPEEDS
-SUPER QUICK FROM TAKEOFF
-SMOOTH ACTION OF SHIMANO GROUP

-STOCK SEAT BUILT LIKE A ROCK AND FELT LIKE ONE TOO
-WHY WOULD YOU NOT PUT ERGO BARS ON SUCH A THOROUGHBRED?

I tested many bikes in the $1000 - $1500 range and had numerous demands that the the bicycle must meet (low weight, racing geometry, carbon fork, durability, quality component group and throw your head back acceleration). Many of the above tested bikes appeared to have some of the qualities that I demanded, but only the giro had them all and then some. It tested and still rides like nothing i've ever ridden. I won't fault Bianchi for the stock rock, I mean saddle; but saving cost by neglecting ergo bars was a travesty. Those are the only upgrades required.

Similar Products Used: TESTED:TREK 2000,GIANT TCR1,CANN. R600,SPEC. ALLEZ SPORT
keith moreland   Recreational Rider [Oct 01, 2000]
Strength:

lotta bang for the buck. got a great price because i bought one for my wife at the same time. they were allready on sale for $879 (normally $1349) but since i bought two they discounted it more. bike is stable, has carbon forks, easton aluminum tube frame, and shimano 105

threaded headset, terible seat.atb pedals.

great bike for what i paid. i'm very happy. it weighs 21.4 pounds on scale at l.b.s. rides nice with the carbon fork. climbs well enough (some b.b. sway)for my weight (180 on 57 cm frame). i did a crit on it and it hung in there. my local ride includes a fairly steep descent where i've hit 45mph and the bike was very stable. these bikes are still on sale at supergo and this is a hard deal to beat for a great name.

Similar Products Used: specialized allez.
mike arnold   Road Racer [May 29, 2001]
Strength:

In UK only comes with a double ring.
Nice stable handling - no trips to the ditch when the mind wanders.
Reasonably light.

Like everyone else that saddle.
Does't feel fast.
Awful wheels with rims that cracked at 1000 miles - bianchi by fir

I've just completed the 3000 miles. I replaced the saddle after two rides and had to wait for a few days before riding again for my backside to recover!

The wheel rims where single eyelet and cracked badly but were replaced under warrenty. Then they fell apart after 6 miles - this time I rebuilt them myself. Now relaced with some decent mavics.

Surprisingly dead ride with no exitement but climbs well and is comfortable over distance. Contrary to what you read about alloy frame, maybe due to the carbon fork. Decals are a bit fragile as well I actually ride a BIANCH on one side.

For a branded bike at this price I can't complain but the Giant TCR is beckoning!!!

Good entry level bike for racing or all round fitness. I still have doubts about longevity of alloy frames - remember the Comet.

Similar Products Used: Ribble 653 racer
Tange d/b trainer
531 Trainer
Raleigh hybrid
Steve   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2001]
Strength:

Stability, responsiveness, appearance

Wheels out of true after short time
Saddle
Tricky derailleur

Great bike, fits me like a glove. I'm not too happy with the Mavic wheelset it came with and will probably upgrade to Cosmos wheels before too long-- these keep going out of true after (relatively) short mileage, which granted may have to do with the fact that I put a lot of weight on the frame (240 lbs. on a 61 frame). I had to have the shop mess with the front derailleur a few times until it was running smoothly with no rubbing (I don't know what they did because I couldn't fix it for the life of me, but it works fine now). The saddle's terrible - get your own. But everything else is fantastic. It's a quick, stable and comfortable bike that's perfect for a hardcore recreational rider (if you put down the miles but don't race). Great looking machine, too.