Bianchi 2000 Alloro Older Road Bike

2000 Alloro

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Bianchi carbon fork

Jr   Recreational Rider [Nov 23, 2009]
Strength:

CELESTE paint!!! light, short wheelbase, very rigid and did i mention CELESTE paint!!!

heavy wheels and aluminum seatpost, stem and bar. Upgrade to lighter wheels and carbon bar, stem and post and bumps are a little bit more forgiving. plus it also shaves some undesired weight.

This is my first road bike. Didn't really know what to look for. Originally came with Ultegra 6500 9 sp groupset with mavic open pro wheels ITM bar and stem which were all o.k. but heavy. This bike is stiff and light. the short wheelbase allows quick accelleration and easier hill climbs.

Darren   Road Racer [Jan 22, 2001]
Strength:

Strong Bike, good geometry, tight wheel base.

Paint chips easily,

The bike is a great ride I have done 4000 miles on the bike. It could be lighter if I used different wheels, but the classics are strong and reliable. I decked my bike with blue trim and it looks nice. I will probebly get a Bianchi agian when I go for my next bike.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose Carbon 98' Victory Ironhorse.
SLR   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

Light and fast

?

Got this bike as a 99 leftover as a real bargain. Almost exactly specd as a 00. I use it primarily for training during the week when I can't get to the trails. Accelerates incredibly. Conering is a little skitish at speed, but I ain't no road racer. I have no complaints about the aluminum frame being too harsh. I ride off road primarily. To me it's like a feather bed even after 40+ miles. Try drop off's and roots, then tell me about a harsh ride.

Similar Products Used: None
Ho Diggs   Recreational Rider [Nov 07, 2000]
Strength:

Price, component package (full ultegra), ride, nice details

it is not the lightest or stiffest

When I was shopping for a bike, I knew what I wanted to spend, and this was among those in the price range. I rode an older version of this bike and liked it. I liked the looks and the Bianchi tradition. I wanted aluminum and not steel (I am 6'4" and did not want the flex of a large steel bike). So I ordered it sight unseen (the 99 model). You could say it fit the "bill". After about 800 miles on it, I am pleased with the ride, but not completely happy. For starters, it is a bit heavy, but this I can change with improvements on the components (BB, wheels, seatpost, etc.) It rides much "softer and forgiving" than other aluminum rides, in part because of the stock Tri-Matic saddle it comes with, but it is still very much an aluminum ride. It handles well at high speeds, but not exceptionally well, which is the same for sprinting, turns, etc. I do like it on long and steady grinds and it climbs fairly well, though it could be better with reduced weight. It is a better than average bike, but not the best. I am already looking ahead at what will be next a year or two down the road, maybe a Trek OCLV carbon, which I recently rode and was very impressed with. For me it has been a bike that I grew into and now I am growing past. A good choice for the price though and would recommend for anyone who wants a middle-range, race worthy bike.

By the way, my LBS rocks, as you can see, I got a great deal on it and their maintenance has been flawless.

Similar Products Used: GT 1000, Lemond Alp D'Huez
Tom M   Recreational Rider [Dec 13, 2000]
Strength:

Super light frame. Beautiful paint job and finish. Nice ride for an aluminum frame. Carbon fork. Ultegra group.

Paint seems to chip more easily than other bikes I've owned.

I love my old Bianchi steel bike, which I've owned and ridden for 15 years, but wanted to upgrade to a lighter bike with index shifting, better brakes and wheels. Was reluctant to buy an aluminum frame intially because of things I heard about harsh ride, but several Alloro owners I talked to said it was very smooth riding for an aluminum frame. I bought this Alloro used, but it has been well maintained and looks like new. It rides great and I honestly cannot tell the difference between it and my old Bianchi steel frame in terms of comfort or ride quality. The Alloro feels much quicker, however, and steers faster and is much lighter and easier to shift. Selle Trimatic saddle is also surprisingly comfortable. I'm not sure what the new 2001 Alloros will be like, as they are changing to a compact frame, but the 1999s and 2000s are great bikes. Finally, I am a sucker for Bianchis with Celeste green paint, and I think this is just a great looking bike.

Similar Products Used: Owned Bianchi Nuovo Record steel frame since mid-1980s. Test road Specialized Allez Comp, Trek 2200, LeMond Zurich.
Jim   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent frame that rides as well or better than steel. Carves turns beautifully, accelerates well. Climbs and descends like a bike should.

Original headset and seatpost replaced too quickly.

Aluminum that rides better than steel, and several pounds lighter. Crisp handling, excellent carbon fork, tasty Celeste paint (I've heard it's prone to chipping, but have not had it happen to me). I thought it was an expensive aluminum bike when I first went bike shopping, but now realize this thing rides so well the extra few bucks are well worth the return in ride quality and handling.
Previous bike was a Trek 5200. The Alloro rides better and is not as dead feeling.

Similar Products Used: 1989 Bianchi SLX steel frame set. The Alloro and the SLX ride with the same level of Italian smoothness, but the Alloro does it four pounds lighter.