Bianchi 2000 Brava Older Road Bike

2000 Brava

road/sport, Shimano Sora Triple components, Bianchi fork

Joe   Commuter [Mar 18, 2003]
Strength:

The frame is steel man! Nothing for the price can take the abuse that the Reynolds steel can take. The Sora shiifters aren't that bad either.

Wheels. City riding really tears up a set of wheels. Especially the low-end wheels on the Brava. Sora hubs are quite weak. The wheelset is definitely the next replacement/upgrade.

I recieved this bike for free in exchange for putting up the labor for building two bikes, so I can't complain about the price. However the bike isn't bad at all. I was impressed with the great feel of the bike, considering it is an entry level road bike. Rides smooth and can handle daily use in the city. I would reccomend this bike to an economy shopper who is looking for a simple road bike.

Laura   Recreational Rider [Jul 18, 2001]
Strength:

*Value for the $$$
*Full Shimano Sora gruppo - no cheesy replacement hubs (Tr-k 1000)-suprisingly fluid rolling stock, triple chain ring
*Nice to have a full steel bike at this price point
*Love the saddle - narrow but appropriately padded
*At $700, I'm not checking the welds too closely or expecting anything fancy - but what a tidy bike.
*Comes with clipless pedals - nice touch for an entry level road bike

*Narrow (!!) handlebars on my 46 cm frame
*Any way to get short reach brake levers?

Can't believe how well this bike stacks up next to my Tommasini - hand built-up with Campy Croce, high flange hubs, etc. The Brava rolls really well and the click shifters are such a nice thing (I'm a little behind tech-wise). Triple chain ring makes this a great bike for climbing when you just don't get in the miles like you did when you were younger, fresher, thinner... Buy it if you want a smooth ride without losing all your dollars. Great 1st road bike. I'm a 42 year old woman, experienced rider -it's renewed my love for a quick fun ride.

Similar Products Used: I'm comparing this bike to my sweet old Tommasini road racer - never thought I'd change, but the technology has changed to the point that a $700 bike rates beautifully against my $$$ old ride
Eric Anderson   Commuter [Aug 14, 2001]
Strength:

Very reliable entry level road bike. Reasonably comfortable on long distances. Price. The stock clipless pedals are a nice touch, as is the color co-ordinated seat and stock tires.

The Sora components really seem to need to be kept clean and well lubed to function decently (more so than other components). Downshifting may not be that smooth when you are really powering up a climb.

I bought this one as an upgrade from my old Mt. Bike that I was communting on, and to ride RAGBRAI. The frame rides nicely, has held up to a fair amount of abuse, and made it through 2500 miles with nothing more than new tires and a couple tune ups. It rides well in all conditions, and though I haven't used them, it's nice to have the eyelets for the front and rear racks.

I'd recommend it for the commuter/rec rider, looking for an initial road bike, and is willing to keep it cleaned and lubed. It's good for 20-80 mile rides that aren't especially demanding.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Finest, Trek 1100
Joey Thompson   Racer [Mar 22, 2000]
Strength:

Everything

Nothing

Great value and a great bike.

Similar Products Used: None
Adam   Recreational Rider [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

PRICE, Sora stuff is kinda nice

availability

The 2000 Brava is a GREAT bike, and if you can get it, do - but I gather Bianchi underestimated it's popularity, and the bike is out of production... I wish you the best of luck getting one.

Similar Products Used: My personal ride is a Veloce
Beth   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is a great value for the price! It looks great (I got the blue frame), and you have the Bianchi name behind you.

Heavy on the backend... I will need to replace the dinosaur of a seatpost and the cranks to lose some weight.

This is my first road bike, up to now I have only ridden mountain. This bike was worth the more than 2 months I had to wait to receive it. I am a small framed woman, and this bike fits me better than the many others I have tried (46" frame). It is a hell of alot more bike for the money than the competitors, can't beat the steel frame. I highly recommend this as an entry-level bike for anyone.

Similar Products Used: Tested out
Tom   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2000]
Strength:

Bianchi Mega Pro geometry rendered in steel with rack braze-ons and dropout eyelets. Bianchi even included all the allen bolts. It's not a racer, but I didn't want it to be. Frame angles are relaxed enough and chainstays are long enough to give a smooth ride even on poor roads. This bike feels solid, smoth, and stable.

Not sure about the saddle yet - may go back to my Serfas, but the next 100 miles or so will tell the tale.

If you want a solid, entry-level sport road bike and don't need steep angles and short wheelbase, consider this bike. It has a great ride !!

It's getting hard to find, though.

Similar Products Used: Giant Kronos (last bike) Demo'd Univega Modo Vincere, Specialized Allez A1, Trek 1200
Eric Y   Recreational Rider [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

Good price. Shimano Sora components all around. Very smooth ride. Love the metallic burgandy paint. Has eyelets for racks.

Too many logos on it for my taste, including the celeste colored saddle.

It does what it was built for. Its ment more for light touring and club riding than racing. The frame does a great job of absorbing road shock and vibration. It brakes and shifts well. Handling is comfortable and predictable. The drops are not very useful to me since there is no way to drop to a smaller rear cog without moving your hand to the hoods. I'm satisfied with it.

Similar Products Used: C'dale R300. Demo'd only.
Laura   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2000]
Strength:

Very Smooth ride and looks great. I love the red color.

Took forever to find a Brava to fit me (46cm)

This is my very first road bike and I absolutely love it. I originally wanted the blue color but when we finally found a frame in my size (46cm - red) I jumped on it. Thanks to the guys up in Indianapolis for shipping the bike down to FLA. I would HIGHLY recommend this bike for anyone thinking about getting into road cycling. The price was perfect and the Bianchi bike is beautiful!!

Similar Products Used: None - came over from mountain biking
Matthew Beauregard   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2000]
Strength:

Sora Components! Unlike the Viagara Tiagra components by shimano which really suck, the Sora components are solid for double-shifting and shifting under pressure. Oh I almost forgot PRICE is under a thousand (THIS IS A FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS!).

The seat the bike comes with is, like always, stiff and most likely I will replace within the next month with a softer gel one.

Bottom line this bike is wonderful for the price. I am a mountain biker who is just starting to get interested in road biking and figured this would be a good start. With the addition of clipless pedals and the Sora components I have been very pleased. Unfortunately it is a little heavier due to the double-butted cro mo frame, but I'll take the extra weight for the extra comfort. The aluminum bikes I had tested just seemed to knock the heck out of me due to the stiffness! Therefore if you're a mountain biker who's on a steel frame, either go carbon fiber or stay with a steel frame. But of the steel frames I have tested in the price range of 500-1500 this was the best and would be a great addition for you.