Bianchi 2000 Giro Older Road Bike

2000 Giro

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 Triple components, Bianchi carbon fork

ReallyARower   Triathlete [Jun 25, 2002]
Strength:

Fast pickup and acceleration, light weight, nice color, quality craftsmanship, rigid power application, good components, great value.

Sometimes the shifting is not smooth. Selle San Marco seat is a little hard.

After test riding several bikes, this one stood out: it handles well, accelerates and picks up quickly, climbs well, looks good. With the Giro in particular I felt like every bit of power I put into the pedals created speed. It's rigid, but well made, with a carbon fork, thus dampening a lot of the road shock. It's my first road bike, and I plan on using it to cross-train with, and eventually do some triathalons and maybe bike races. The bike is light, and rides smooth. Slight problems with shifting; usually no big deal, but I have only been riding for a month, and should get it tuned. Seat was uncomfortable at first, but it's gotten a lot better. Bottom line: the Giro fit my needs and my budget perfectly. I love this bike and always look forward to my next ride.

Similar Products Used: Test-rode: Lemond Tourmalet, Nevada City, and Alpe D'Huez; Bianchi Veloce, and Imola; Specialized Allez A1 Sport; Trek 1000, 1200, Hilo 1000.
barr   Commuter [Jun 20, 2001]
Strength:

Great bang for the buck

Seat sucks, the Look pedals clip broke after 2 weeks,
flats galore (I weigh 240)

A great bike for the price, more than equal to 1+ hours/day and 3 t0 4 hrs on the weekends. Similar performance bikes cost %30+ or more

Similar Products Used: My first new road bike
Ken   Recreational Rider [Jul 20, 2000]
Strength:

- LIGHT! weight
- Great component group and flight deck compatibility
- Easton Alum Frame is very stiff
- Nice triple gearing mix
- Carbon Fork

Possibly the paint scheme - I alternate between liking and disliking the powder blue color.

A fantastic bike!! I have ridden the bike every day since my purchase and like it more each time I ride it. I had originally planned to purchase the Cannondale R800 Triple - after riding both bikes (they are almost identical in components and weight) I opted for the Bianchi. The Bianchi is super responsive, a great climber, and has a great component group. I highly recommend this bike to anyone looking at bikes in the $1000 - $1500 price range – fantastic value at $1250.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R800 Triple, Bianchi Eros
Chris   Recreational Rider [Aug 18, 2000]
Strength:

The fit...it was perfect for me.
Easton tubeset
Carbon fork
Traditional bars...NO ergos thank you!
Light weight
105 components
The great blue color after you get used to it.

On front shifting...crisp shifts and NO chain rub not yet co-existing
Tires
The ugly blue color when you first see it.

The Univega was probably the best deal for the money, but did not have a triple. (Sorry, I AM getting older.) I was pretty set on the Cannondale, but then I rode the Giro. The fit was right on and very comfortable...I even like the stock seat and the traditional bars. I am 5'6'' and weigh 145 pds. The ride is very smooth for aluminum...the chainstays curve outward, opposite from the Cannondale. The carbon fork also does a good job of soaking up the bumps. The riding position is less severe than most racing bikes because of the 90 degree stem. My only beef so far is difficulty getting the front derailleur to shift precisely and have no chain rub. The manager at my LBS tells me the 2000 105 triple is hard to get right. We will see. I will be doing a metric century race next month and I am anxious to really test this bike. On paper there are better made bikes and better deals. For me, this bike just "clicked." If you are in the market for a bike in the $1000-$1500 price range, I highly recommend you give it a shot.
Don't let the so-called purists ("Why do you want an Italian bike with a Tiawanese frame and Japanese components?) talk you out of it. As the miles build, I'll report later and see if the honeymoon lasts. If the triple gets smoothed out, I'll raise the rating.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Tempo, Schwinn Prologue TT, Cannondale R800, Univega Modo Volare, Specialized Allez A1 Sport, Bianchi Daytona, Trek 2300
Garth   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2000]
Strength:

Carbon fiber fork, Shimano 105 components, light weight, Mavic rims, good acceleration & handling

Stock seat, hard to shift up front

I was in the market for an entry level road bike, just for some recreational & fitness riding. However, I wanted something nice enough to keep me interested. I didn't want to spend more than $1,000.
I picked up this Bianchi for less than $900, which I believe to be a great deal. The carbon fork helps smooth out the rough patches. This is important since the aluminum frame seems very stiff and passes along every bump in the road. The stock saddle had me crying after just the test ride in the SuperGo parking lot, but I've had no problems since switching it out for a Terry Liberator (what a gift from above!).
Sifting on the rear cogs has been excellent, but I've had a bit of trouble up front. The 105 shifter for the front seems to take an etraordinary amount of pressure to shift to a larger cog, and shifting to a smaller cog, although easier, isn't very precise.
Overall, this is a fun bike, and I look forward to my daily rides! We'll see how it does on the Solvang Prelude (50 miles), but it's been good to me so far.

Similar Products Used: None
Dana   Recreational Rider [Nov 06, 2000]
Strength:

Having read the reviews for the 2000 Brava, coupled with my grad student budget I thought that it was the bike for me (sans the Sora components). However, the 2000 Giro was so incredibly fluid; I felt as if only air existed between the road and me. The hill on which I rode posed no problem, as shifting was smooth, effortless, and *quiet*. This bicycle rides like a dream, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I was more than willing to step up to the plate financially (how did Garth get this for $879?) for the leap in the craftsmanship of this bike. I can't wait to pick it up!

I highly recommend this bike to any entry-level rider who wants a passionate, streamlined Italian ride for a bit more cash.

Similar Products Used: 2000 Cannondale R600
2000 Bianchi Eros
Scott   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, precision steering, great power transfer, good stock seat, a rigid race car like ride. If you want to haul --- this is a great choice. If you want plush & comfortable this isn't the type of bike you want anyway.

Imprecise shifting on front triple rings.

This is truly a great bike for the money. Bianchi has enough of the modern stuff to let you know their "with it" without falling for the latest fads and gimmicks that are as yet, unproven over the long haul.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R800, Trek 2200, Specialized Allez Comp
Ashley Knipscheer   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2001]
Strength:

Great value, beautiful color, extremely light, smooth on almost any road, and comfortable geometry for a woman.

Same shifting trouble up front that others have mentioned.

Bottom line is... if you can still get a hold of the 2000 Giro- BUY IT! I have almost no complaints with this bike. I read reviews before I bought it that warned of sticky shifting up front and have found that to be true. However, it minimally affects my riding. It is smooth shifting almost all the time. It flies down hills (now that I'm not too scared to let it) I feel certain that I will have this bike for a long time to come and maybe upgrade to Ultegra someday. I will never give up my smooth riding baby blue machine!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez Comp with Ultegra set, several other Bianchis
David   Triathlete [Mar 27, 2001]
Strength:

Light, Handles well, cruises up and down hills. Doesn't shake at high speeds like my old bike.

Occasional noise on middle chain, middle gears that may need to be adjusted.

After changing out the seat this has been a great bike. I didn't think I'd need the granny gear, but found it useful during the Boulder Duathlon. Great bike, great price. I don't ride a million miles and couldn't afford a more expensive model. I could be riding a more expensive bike, but I'd be a lot poorer and probably not any faster. It does everything that I need it to do: make riding easier and safer.