Bianchi 2000 Veloce Triple Older Road Bike

2000 Veloce Triple

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Veloce Triple components, Bianchi carbon fork

pvb   Recreational Rider [Aug 17, 2006]
Strength:

Built to last

This bike a been a steady performer since I purchased it in 2001. It has aged very well. And, like the previous reviewer, I also find this bike climbs well. This was my first serious bike purchase, and I had assumed I'd be on my third by now, but I have no need.

knute   Recreational Rider [May 07, 2005]
Strength:

Beautiful Celeste Color

The Bianchi Veloce is an excellent ride because it's steel. The latest Veloce is now Aluminum (horrible). Everyone knows you can't beat steel, why are they pushing Aluminum on everyone? Anyhow I am now 51 years young and had returned to cycling about 5 years ago with a Marin Cross Bike, I loved riding so much that I bought a Team Marin mountain bike - that was my main ride until my LBS talked me into trying a road bike, well I finally settled on the Bianchi Veloce knowing only that the Celeste color meant Italian. Boy was I surprised at how easily the Bianchi leapt up hills, one of the other reviewers claims the Bianchi is a slow climber, I have to disagree (but then what do I know?) I love my road bike, however, you have to be careful with skinny tires because you can crash if your not watching ahead. The 53 cm size fits me beautifully, nice and compact and quick.

Freewheelers   Road Racer [Dec 01, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame, Campy components, Long ride comfort, Great color.

Aside from the long throw on the Veloce front derailleur, there is not much else.

This bike handles really well. They did an very comprehensive fitting when I bought it. Because of that, I think I have the most comfortable bike ever. It is not as stiff as aluminum, but it climbs suprisingly well. Sprinting is not as bad as I thought either. I especially love the Campy components. They are incredible. I can''t imagine how good Record is when Veloce feels this good. I did switch the wheels to Open Pros with Record hubs (huge difference). All in all it is a great bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR 0 w/ Ultegra and Open pros w/ Dura Ace hubs Lemond Tourmalet Triple
steve weissman   Recreational Rider [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

Very confortable bike to sit on and ride. Very fast and nimble, responsive to slight adjustments in direction, climbs very well.

The front triple has proved to be impossible to adjust properly. From the very first day I have had to bring it back to the shop to adjust as I could not get into the small ring. It has gotten so bad that the bike has been in the shop for the last three weeks, they have changed the front derailluer and it still doesn't work right, and Bianchi has taken the postion that it is not their problem. I just told the store that I want my money back.

There is a problem and Bianchi lacks a great deal when it comes to customer service.

Similar Products Used: None
Charlie Burch   Recreational Rider [Dec 31, 2000]
Strength:

Great handling and a remarkably smooth ride, especially for the price. Overall, it has good components. Triple chainring will get you up any hill.

Slight weight penalty for steel frame. LOUD flywheel, sometimes sticky front derailleur, uncomfortable seat. Look pedals aren’t for everyone.

My old bike is a 1983 Fuji S-12-S-LTD 18 speed (triple chainring) touring bike. In 1990 I blew out my knee (trolley tracks + toe clips = blown ACL) and stopped riding for 10 years. Started again September 2000 and fell in love with cycling all over again. After 2 months on the Fuji I decided I might like something a little lighter and faster. Reviews and a chat with a trusted local mechanic led me to Bianchi.

Looked at 3 bikes: The Eros, Giro and Veloce. Veloce: smooth and stable. Like the Campy separate shift levers compared to the Shimano 105s on the Giro. Given my touring bike heritage I thought I would like the slightly relaxed geometry of the Eros, but it didn’t thrill me, and the Mirage shifters felt inferior to both the Veloce and the 105 groups (a brand new bike, though, maybe needed to get broken in). It was a tougher call than I thought going in between the Giro and Veloce. In the end, the Veloce’s steel frame and Campy components were more important to me than the Giro’s weight advantage and cheaper price.

I don’t have a lot of lateral leg strength since my knee rebuild. My LBS suggested I trade out the Looks pedals for Shimano SPDs. This was my first set of clipless pedals, but after a week I still didn’t feel comfortable in them, and felt knee strain after long rides. When you’ve had major knee surgery, you listen when your knee complains. I got a pair of Speedplay Frog Mountain Bike Pedals. Love ‘em. (I’ve posted a review on this site).

Ernest Hemmingway said “To be a writer, one must write.” To be a cyclist, one must cycle. If a bike is a joy to ride, it goes a long way towards making you a better rider. How much do I like the Veloce? A 50 year old in his 3rd month of bike riding logged over 1,000 miles the first month.

If you’re looking for a comfortable and responsive frame/fork combination, this one is hard to beat. Going from a big old touring bike I was concerned that a road frame would feel twitchy and nervous, but it just feels responsive. The steel frame and carbon fork pay great dividends over rough pavement: the ride is remarkably smooth. I reached speeds that I only dreamt about on my old Fuji. Handles great and goes like stink when you ask it to.

The Campy Veloce front derailleur can sometimes misfire, but this has been my experience on triple chainring bikes. You have to be very diligent about cleaning the chain. I certainly haven’t had anything like the problems described in the previous review. The rear derailleur works like a charm. Shifts are positive.

On rides of 3 or more hours I found myself getting pretty saddle sore, so I swapped out the stock Selle Italia TriMatic saddle for a Terry Men’s Liberator. Aaahhh!!! Now I can ride all day without getting uncomfortable. This is a $40 tweak I highly recommend.

The freewheel is LOUD. The good news is pedestrians are alerted to you presence.

On the whole though it’s exactly what I wanted: a good blend of performance, comfort (except for the seat), and (given the steel frame and Campy components) reliability. Pretty close to perfect for someone making the transition from touring to road bikes. It’s not going to win you the Tour De France, but it is an excellent training bike, good for Centuries and club rides. Other than the seat, the front derailleur is the only thing that is less than great. This is a bike you can live with for a long time, and good bang for the buck to boot.

Similar Products Used: Tested Biachi Eros and Giro.
Brian Baecker   Road Racer [Feb 16, 2001]
Strength:

very durable steel frame, good components, realiable

the rear derailuer fell of the first time i tried doing a sprint the whole damn thing feel apart but bianchi wuz very helpful with replacing the part for free. Crappy wheels..It costed me how much?

great bike all around especially if u want to keep it for a long time. Good italian made frame with good parts none of this ultegra and then sora parts crap i see on bikes these days

Similar Products Used: None
Stumpjumper Bob   [May 07, 2001]
Strength:

Bike frame is incredibly responsive, steel. The Italians have really paid attention to the tubing used for this light weight frame.

I replaced the OEM saddle with a Schwinn Hollow Point road saddle. I don't want to be called numb nuts!!!!

I am 47 years young and took up cycling (4) years ago to control health problems. I started with a Marin Cross Bike (Excellent) then bought a Team Marin Mountain bike (Excellent) I sold the cross bike recently and purchased the Veloce road bike, incredible, not as comfortable as a mountain bike, however, this thing leaps up hills I used to cringe at.
I highly recommend this bike.
Remember Bianchi is the world's oldest bike company and people do recognize the Celeste (green) color
Stump

Similar Products Used: Marin "San Rafael" Cross bike, Team Marin mountain bike.
Karim Osman   [Aug 01, 2001]
Strength:

Such a comfortable ride
Campo components

A little heavy compared to the Alu bikes out there. Mine checks in at 22 lbs
Seat wasn't all that comfortable

I picked up this bike so I could commute to work and get fit. I enjoy riding the bike so much, I've started heading out on weekends for longer rides, tackling some hills, and I am thinking about getting into racing too.
The ride is really plush. It really is a night and day difference compared to the aluminum bikes in the same price category.
Once everything was broken in, the Veloce gruppo has been working great too.
On the other hand, the bike is a fair bit heavier than comparably priced bikes and I can feel the frame flex a little when I am sprinting.
The best thing I can tell you is to go out and go for a test ride, so you can see what it's all about.