Giant 2001 TCR 0 Older Road Bike

2001 TCR 0

FrankM   Road Racer [Mar 30, 2003]
Strength:

Light, good pick-up, great looks.

The frame is anodized, not painted. There is not clear coat so the decals are subject to pealing off. Other than that, no weaknesses.

I previous had a Giant OCR-2 which was stolen. I bought a 2001 TCR-0 Frame/Fork for $749 CDN and a used Dura-Ace 8 Speed Group for $300.00. I had a set of Mavic CXP-21 wheels, a Carbon Seat Post, a Selle Octavia Saddle, ITM 225 handlebars, a set of Look PP337 pedals and ta-da a bike. This bike is great. It's fast and light (although once I get better wheels it will be lighter.) The bike weighs about 18 pounds (without pedals) and should be 16.5 to 17 once the wheels are changed.

Similar Products Used: OCR-2 with custom wheels, etc.
REPO42   Road Racer [Oct 06, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight design. Dura ace components. Climbs like a scared mountain goat. very responsive...

I think this applies to every bike made... The bike manufactures have a great idea, build it, but then don't spend any extra time correcting flaws. Frame stickers suuuuccckkkk. Peel off like old tape... And the headset design...I think that was "bring your child to work day" because whoever came up with the integrated headset idea is a dork... great concept, not well planned between bike maker and headset manufacture.

Me like! This is a great mass produced frame. Yeah it's not flawless due to not being hand crafted, but unless you grab the microscope you will never know the difference. Lightweight frame, dura ace components make it a joy to ride. Carbon fiber fork and seat would be equal to gas shocks on a car. Long rides don't beat you up... Would definately recommend this if you can get it slightly used...like I did. saved a pretty penny

Similar Products Used: Schwinn(columbus tubing) Bianchi(SLX)
Bill   Recreational Rider [Apr 14, 2002]
Strength:

Above

I''m no racer but wanted to have something light and fast. I inverted the handlebar stem so that the handlebars would be higher and switched out the seatpost for a RockShock Road seat post; also switched the pedals from Dura Ace to Time Atak, and put in a split seat to avoid that pudendal nerve problem that cyclists are prone to. Fork was replaced by Giant. Added aerobars. With these modifications it''s incredibly fast, quick, maneuverable and comfortable. Even someone as amateurish as I am can make this thing fly.

mfez48   Road Racer [Apr 04, 2002]
Strength:

Light

Difficult to get dialed in size-wise.

I have always ridden steel frames, and wanted to buy an aluminum compact. I picked this because it was so reasonable. I love the bike. Climbing feels like you are on a cloud, it''''s comfortable (anyone remember Vitus bikes)and super light. The bike is a little twitchy, which takes some getting used to. I have also experienced some creaks from the front; I am not sure what that is. All the snobs out there will pay 1,500 to 2,000 for an Italian compact frame alone, with no difference. Giant invented the compact frame, and has refined it.

Similar Products Used: Bottecchia, Williams
Garfield   Recreational Rider [Feb 20, 2002]
Strength:

Light, light, light Shimano Dura Ace - can''t beat it Climbs like nothing else Makes me look faster them I really am.

Decals - very minor weakness Makes me want to ride faster then I really can

What a great bike for the money (yes I got a really good deal for an end of season sale) This bike is not far off what they ride in the Tour de France. My previous bike was a Giant OCR 2 and I liked the compact geometry right from the start. The light weight combined with the Mavic K''s makes this bike a joy to ride up hills, I find myself looking for climbs. I get a lot of looks at the club rides, even from the die hard Italian bike owners. No one can believe how light this bike really is for a stock machine. The componentry is excellent, I haven''t had a problem in the first 1000km. My only real complaint (and it a very minor one) is that the decals appear to be very cheap and have started to wrinkle. For this level of bike, that is unacceptable. Because of this bike, I have decided to start racing this year, I feel I owe it to the bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant OCR 2
Godpossessed   Recreational Rider [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

So light that it leaps up hills.

Only comes in sm, med & large

After riding a custom frame (Smoother) for my 1st bike, I decided to spend the cash on top equipment. My local shop sold many different brands but this was the one that the owner rode. He let me take his for a day and I knew that this was the bike! I bought a large (slightly too big but not overly so for my 5'' 11" 195lb. frame. My first real ride on it was a century. What a difference that road geometry makes on a long ride.

Tank Hog   Road Racer [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Lightweight frame w/ anodized finish. Hard to find a DA bike w/ Mavic K's for the money. Full build with pedals is 17.1 pounds

Quality of frame build is average or slightly less for a typical mass produced frames. Integrated headset due to lack of tools being available for face milling.

Overall the bike is a good deal for the money. However there were a few quality issues with the frame/fork. Even though my particular carbon steerer fork was not recalled I opt'd to have Giant replace it with an alloy steerer type. The carbon steerer used a proprietary insert nut that doesn't allow for any removal or modifications. Giant had 3cm of spacers on the carbon steerer! I wanted to cut the steer down but found out I could not remove Giant's insert nut. I have never heard of a carbon steerer except Alpha Q that allows more than 1.5 cm of spacers.

Here are my findings after putting the frame on the alignment jig. The frame's rear triangle was 4mm out of plane. Front triangle was fine. The non drive side dropout was misaligned and b/c Giant has such as large weld here, it is not possible to align this. This problem will eventually cause a broken rear axle due to non uniform loading.

The headtube is unable to be face milled due to no aftermarket tools being available for the integrated headset. The headset is not installed correctly and binds when turned past 40 degrees. Head tube needs faced to correct this problem.

The frame is anodized, which is the best finish for the Alcoa 6013 tubing(Giant calls it Aluxx SL) since it is highly corrosive. Good tube set.
Geometry is for criterium racing. Most people will be riding 13-14cm of drop unless you opt for a high rise stem. The fit of the 3 frame sizes is questionable.

Wayne   Triathlete [Jul 02, 2001]
Strength:

Light 16lbs, Responsive, Inexpensive, beautiful

Seat post squeaked, fixed with white grease.

The bike was a built up frame due to lack of factory made models. This allowed a longer steer tube and therefore a higher handle bar. I can't dissect the frame like the previous post, but I can't find any flaws or poor workmanship on it.
Obviously a huge step over the Vitus. Bike climbs and accelerates incredibly. Handling is sharp, obviously a racing geometry. Ride is a little harsh but easily accepted. The bike is way better than I am, and makes me look like a faster cyclist than I am. Every time I go out on it I am amazed at how quick and fast it is. Extremely stable at all speeds, although I am terrible at keeping any bike in a straight line, my problem not the bikes. An awesome bike for the money. I looked at the Cannondale r3000, and the Klein Quantom Pro, but couldn't beat the giant for price and weight. I just love the looks of it and the fact that you never see any of them out there.