Schwinn 2000 Super Sport GL Older Road Bike

2000 Super Sport GL

road/sport, Shimano Tiagra Triple components, Kinesis fork

Pablo Pacso   Commuter [Feb 24, 2017]
Strength:

I bought the green one posted in the pic's online. Lucky I got after market rims and a great price. Currently in the process of redoing front end with more carbon fiber to lighten a little more. Really feel I got a good one and really like the fame. Anything in good shape under $300 I'd pick it up.

Dislike the older quill stem

updating fork and stem

chaley   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

Good solid bike without any flaws, but not over the top on anything either.

No real weaknesses.

I bought this bike when I was in my first year of University as a do every thing road bike. I has never failed to live up to my expectations. I have trained some long miles with it (well over 10,000kms to date), done a half-ironman triathlon, toured and done the local group rides with guys on bikes that are 10 times the price.

After the number of miles that I have put on it you can imagine that certain things needed to be replaced. I have put new tires on a couple of times, replaced the rear cassette, changed the front cranks to a compact double (sometimes I wish I still had the triple). But the seat is still the same, the rims are still kicking and the frame still looks good (Kona bikes have the same paint job).

JSupan   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

Company stands behind their product.

They went bankrupt, but Pacific bought them.

This is an update to my previous review. I had rear spoke breaks as a previous reviewer mentioned. Another Schwinn dealer told me that a batch of bad spokes got used in the 2000 model road & mountain bikes; recommended me to tell my dealer about it. They called Schwinn about it. Schwinn paid for a relace job! I''ve got a triple crossed, hand-laced rear wheel with 14g DT stainless spokes and Schwinn picked-up the tab.

Similar Products Used: None
James Richardson   Recreational Rider [Jan 21, 2001]
Strength:

Frame is great.Very ridable .105 and Tiagra ders work very well. Comp. package can't be beat for the money.

Seat was not so good.I got numb alot after about 20 miles.
only 1 broken spoke in 1 year, but they always seem loose

This is one fantastic bike! It fits like a glove.For the money it can't be beat.In about 1200+ miles, I can't find
anything to complain about.It climbs well,descends well,handles in turns well.When I finally wear this one out,
I'll get another!

Similar Products Used: None
Lance   Commuter [May 09, 2000]
Strength:

Great value for your $$$,would be a good bike for first time buyer and is upgradeable

Not for racing or riding centuries

I have had bike since Feb and have put close to 750 miles on it can be stiff at times but climbs really well since frame does not flex much.
No problems with shifters up or down but have to keep an eye on wheels spokes seem to loosen up on every ride but wheels have stayed true.
I enjoy frame and hope to put many miles on this summer.

Similar Products Used: Mtn Bike is Gt RTS
John Willer   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2000]
Strength:

Climbs well, good components, best bang for your buck. Worthy of upgrades. Very comfortable saddle!

Clipless pedals that come with the bike- hard to get into.

This bike (stock)is perhaps the best value for the money on the market today. I live in Denver and climbing is a necessary evil- this bike is an excellent climber!
Don't buy this bike if you're a racer- Buy this bike if you're in it for fitness and having a great ride. Superb choice for a first (or second or third) road bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1220
Vincent   Recreational Rider [Aug 28, 2000]
Strength:

Nice Tiagra Gruppo with 105 Rear Derailler. Biggest Bang for the buck that I could find. Nice Clipless pedals. Relaxed Frame Geometry.

Seat is too narrow for my liking. Aluminum is a little stiff. The color is a definately different.

This bike was perfect for me. I wanted a bike for club rides and organized rides. Not meant for racing. Again, Best bang for the buck that I could find.

Similar Products Used: Univega Modo Vivere, Trek 1000, and GT ZR5000.
John Supan   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2000]
Strength:

Compared to other bikes under $1K, the SuperSport GL was the best value, with better components than similarly priced bikes. The Shimano STI, Tiagra drivetrain and 105 rear derailer shift smoothly. The Alex wheels and Michelin axial sport tires add to a smooth ride. Responsive frame; bike accelerates quickly. At 5'10", 240lbs, I bought the 56cm frame; the 7005 aluminum is sturdy enough. Curved chain and seatstays a plus.

The bike needed a tune-up 3 weeks after purchase, but a 400 mile break-in is expected. Was warned about aluminum frames and road vibration; it is higher but acceptable, compared to my previous bike (a 35lb. '71 Continental).

I don't race but wanted to keep up with my buddies' 21mph+ paceline. As set-up, the bike weighs 25lbs. Couldn't be happier. Love the paint job. Bring on the MS150!

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000, Raliegh 500 & 700
Ray Wells   Recreational Rider [Nov 13, 2000]
Strength:

nice ride, shifts great, climbs well, stable as a
table

The seatpost is one of those el cheapo ones that frags
the first chance it gets. I upgraded to a thompson
elite I had on hand.

Here in the Blue ridge mountains you're either
climbing or descending with very little flat cruising.
This bike does both well for me. The trademark bent
stays on the schwinn frame give it a smoother ride
than other aluminum frames I tried. The SSGL also has
a shorter top tube and higher cockpit resulting in a
more relaxed and upright riding position which closer
emulates my riding position on my mtb and feels nice
during those steep climbs. I love the way the tiagra
set shifts and it's real quiet too. The frame has
mounts for a rear rack, (a rarity in todays oz. shaving
market), and still managed to weigh in at 23.5 lbs. at
the shop. I can easily recommend this bike for any
mountain biker looking for a nice ride for the road
without breaking the bank.

Similar Products Used: $20 1980 vintage raleigh reliant 10spd
99 Raleigh m-80 mountain bike.
Brandon   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2000]
Strength:

Nice component mix...105 and Tiagra for the buck. This bike seemed to deliver alot for the price I paid. It also has a triple up front and aluminum frame which have both been woderful for climbing.

Frame is made in Tiawan...is that a weakness???I dunno. Perhaps...I must agree that this is a bike for recreational cyclists and those mountain bikers (like myself) looking for something to train/ride on in the off season or if they are just looking for variety.

I think this would be an outstanding bike for the mountain biker looking for a road bike to help him/her train for races. It is light enough, and has a triple crankset up front to be a good climber and would be useful in long ascents or rides such as the MS150. Furthermore, this bike won't break the bank (especially if it is your second bike and you want to pour more $ into upgrades/replacement parts for your MTB). To reiterate what those below me have said: this is probably not for the road racer. That being said I give this wonderful bike:

Similar Products Used: C'dale R600 triple; Bianchi (their $600 steel frame model), Specialized Allez