Schwinn 2000 Super Sport SL Older Road Bike

Schwinn 2000 Super Sport SL Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, Time Sprint fork

[Mar 15, 2018]
honda4ever

Strength:

This is

[Apr 06, 2002]
supersportls

Strength:

The quality ride, top end components. This bike looks fantastic (I love the retro paint).

The saddle is down right evil, swapped that out immidiately.

It had been several years since I last owned a road bike. I have been riding a mountain bike. I wanted to start riding longer road tours and felt this would be a good bike. It has turned out to be a great decision. The ride from the CROMO frame is super and the equipment group is top notch. I could not be happier.

[Apr 23, 2000]
Stephen

Strength:

Frame, components, triple crank, handlebar, stem

pedals, maybe

I've mostly been riding mountain bikes the last few years but when I saw the triple crank on this one I decided to look into a new road bike. I'd forgotten how nice a good steel frame could be; now I'm looking for an 853 frame mountain bike. I only have 250-300 miles on the bike (it snowed 8" the day after I bought it) but I like the ride more each time. The handlebar seemed too high and wide at first, but I flipped the ritchey stem and had the steerer tube cut down and now it's great, much better than the handlebar on the comparable LeMond, at least for day touring. I don't race at all.
I have time atac pedals on my mountain bikes, but these road
pedals seem strange, almost like there is too much float. I don't feel connected to the cranks.
I also gave the saddle to the shop and bought a specialized
body geometry comp. It's a great saddle.

I

Older Trek aluminum road bike

[Apr 23, 2000]
David T

Strength:

stiff, but compliant frame; very good equipment choices for the money; ultegra gruppo works extremely well; Reynolds 853 and relaxed frame geometry makes for a thoroughly enjoyable ride; wheelset is OK; axial pro tires work very well

This is a "road" bike. For its intended purposes, there appear, at this time to be no obvious weaknesses. The steel tubing, while light, is certainly heavier than a similarly priced aluminum frame bike. My middle aged body appreciates the steel ride a great deal more than would be the case for an overly rigid and harsh alumiinum frame. The only questionable item on the bike is the pedals. It came with Time ATAC Cyclo clipless pedals. The float is decent and they are easy enough to get into. But, two sided pedals would be better, and sometimes my feet are reluctant to clip out. I will probably give them a bit more time, and if I am still undecided I may try the Speedplay Frogs.

Very nice bike for the money. Clean welds; very nice equipment package. A tad heavy (about 21 lbs), but most other similarly equipped steel bikes weigh about the same. This is a good road bike. It rides very smoothly. It does not beat you up like aluminum. I probably would not race it. Riding position is somewhat upright, but you can get down low with the Ritchey handlebars. If you want a "better" steel bike, you are probably going to have to go into the custom range of bicycles.

Currently I own a Canondale Hybrid, the H600, bought in 1996. I use it to ride with the children now and I have attached a Burley Picolo. Previously, I also owned a Lotus Unique, purchased around 1982. This was a steel framed (Tange No. 2) road bike with Suntour gruppo.

[May 17, 2000]
Stuart

Strength:

The bike handles wonderfully. It feels wonderfully secure and stable, especially on downhills. Very comfortable geometry.

Rattle from right brake/shifter
Double sided pedals would be nice.

Great bike. Great ride.

Fuji S12-S LTD

[Jul 21, 2000]
Bill Snyder

Strength:

853 Reynolds Steel Frame, Ultegra Groupo, Time Carbon Fork,
all high quality componets . An excellant bike for club rides and century rides.

None, My dealer let me swap the single side pedals for same
brand in dual sided pedals--also at no cost traded seat out for Body Geometry Seat.

I am almost 50 years old and comfort and quality were the biggest factors in making my selection of the Super Sport SL. The frame geometry and 853 Reynolds make the bike comfortable for long rides. The 27 speed Ultegra is a nice
quality touch to an already quality bike. The bike seems light for steel (about 21 lbs) and is fast for this type of bike. I highly rcommend this bike but you are running out of time, I hear the 2001 will be aluminum. This bike is a great value and truely a "Best Buy".

I have been to Seattle Bike Show and Portland Bike Show as
well as researched the net and all our local bike shops. There are a lot of nice bikes out there but I felt this was a "BEST BUY" .

[Feb 13, 2001]
g ary willis

Strength:

853 frame- ultegra group- real road pedals- all day saddle
its black!

none so far
out of production- will be hard to find

the bottom line is this : this is a sweet ride- the combination of 853 and carbon fork and ritchey aero wheelset make a fairly fast all day ride - if you can find one around snap it up - the 2001 are aluminum with fastback design

tested trek klein univega specialized road