Schwinn Paramount Older Road Bike

Schwinn Paramount Older Road Bike

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase this early 1990s Paramount made in the Waterford factory. It's 53cm and in very clean shape. At some point in time the first owner had the frame returned to Waterford for a complete refinishing. The bike came outfitted with complete Campy Record 8 speed and the seller included two cranks (double and triple), 2 front and rear deraillers, and everything necessary to set the bike up as a double or a triple. The frame is lugged and looks almost identical to a new Waterford lugged frame.

I was really lucky to find this bike and get it for $750.00, and it's my correct size to boot. I had just purchased a new Gunnar Roadie last week and then this Paramount fell into my lap.

I had been riding a Cannondale CAAD4 and CAAD9, but I'm 60 years old and the alloy frames beat me to death in these North Carolina mountains. I need something that will keep me fresher after riding 50+ miles and steel does appear to be real.

I used to race cat 4 & 3 back in the 70s and the only thing anyone used back then was steel. It's nice to come back home and find the supple ride of steel after the harsh chatter of alloy on the mountain roads

[Jan 19, 2009]
george kraushaar

Strength:

Composed, stable, supple ride with great handling.
All the Campy Record components look and work great.
The knowledge of riding an American made piece of history.

Weight
Uncertainty over how long these old components will last.

This bike is an early 90s Waterford built Paramount outfitted with Campy Record shifters, deraillers, crank, hubs, headset, and seatpost. The seller supplied me with multiple cranks and deraillers so that I can used it either as a double or triple (I've got it set up double now). I've changed out the seatpost for a Thomson. The bike was refinished at Waterford at spom point and is in very clean but not pristine condition.

I bought the bike because I've always wanted a Paramount and never had a chance to own one and then this opportunity just fell into my lap.

This bike isn't the lightest out there nor does it have the newest/trendiest components, but it works and it's smooth as butter for the mountians of North Carolina where I live. The harsh chatter of alloy isn't the best for me and I haven't made the jump to carbon.