Specialized 1999 Allez M4 Pro Older Road Bike

Specialized 1999 Allez M4 Pro Older Road Bike

1999 Specialized Allez M4 Pro, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Kinesis fork

[May 17, 2012]
Patrick

Strength:

Hill climbing and fast stable desending.

Its not for the faint at heart, not very forgiving on a rough road. Great 1st bike for CRITS.

I upgraded frame with Durace components but found using a 3 x 10 ring from bontranger worked over the top on any climb for a beginner. Changed rims to mavic open pros and the technology in the kevlar tires make it real fast. Shifters where changed to the shimano flight deck. The Allez pro colors have the look of a new age aero frame, many riders ask where I got it because of the color. I still enjoy riding it at club events and charity events in the 65-90 mile range.

[Jul 13, 2011]
Dan

Strength:

Hill climbing

Heard this bikes frame will wear out over time. I will see. Mine has meny miles on it.

I purchased this bike on craigslist. The guy I bought it from loved the bike and was happy I lived close to him so he could see the bike around town. I am a fairly new bike rider and this bike is my third and I have dropped looking for bikes because this one is perfect for me. I can ride up any hill with ease. This was not the case with my other bikes. I had to walk them up on occasion. I ride close behind or faster then the much more experienced riders I ride with now. I feel stronger and have rekindled my passion for riding with this bike. It is fun again.

[Jul 28, 2006]
tbaker394

Strength:

This is a rocket, Little effort on the uphils, screams on the downhills. Great value for the money, I added a lot of higher end components, but finally got the bike that I wanted. The Green is outstanding. Love the color.

NA

This bike goes with little effort, this is my entry into the road game, I have been riding hills for many years. With this bike, the transition was nice and easy. Highly recommended

[Jun 13, 2006]
Jon

Strength:

Frame is stiff, great parts group. The tires lasted 6 years!!! Love the paint.

Seat sucks.

A very good buy. Parts group are excellent. Very good climber. I dont rid it too much only for training. Trying to race XC mountain bike. Will hopefully race for the first time this weekend.

[Nov 08, 1998]
Michael Martin

Strength:

I currently have a 1987 Allez with the M2 frame. It is a super bike. It has a very stiff frame and is very light (20 pounds even). I looked at the 1999 model in a store today. It also looks like a super bike, but why do they give it that ugly lime green paint job. Until they come up with a better color, I will stick with my dark blue 1997 model. I do plan, however, to buy a set of the tires that come on the 1999 model. The red sidewalls will look great on my dark blue bike, even though they loook a little strange on the lime green 1999 model.

[Aug 23, 1999]
Slick
Racer

Strength:

Stiff
Responsive
OEM components
Carbon fork

funky top tube decal and seatpost fairing,
Wheelset obviously built by a machine. Spoke lengths don't appear to be correct.

when you mash on the pedals, this bike goes and dosen't have ANY noticeable flex. its a rocket, but not too harsh. nice bike and the same frame as the S-works. i don't regret it at all. wheelset could have used a more human touch

too long ago to remember. Been riding the dirt.

[Feb 17, 2000]
David
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Using the Allez M2 -- Very pleased with frame, stiffness and responsivness

Ultegra compnets are not durable. Chain, chain rings, gears, shifters, head set, rims, BB and rear hub have all been replaced in the 10,000 mi on this frame. Major problem with seat creeking.

Frame is great, Dump the shimano components

[Mar 30, 2000]
Speed

Strength:

very stiff
pretty light

non so far

A great bike to climb on, doesn't flex under my 190lbs. definately a good buy over the trek I broke. A good bike that should last those long training miles yet stand up to the responsiveness needed while racing.

trek oclv

[Apr 25, 2000]
Dennis

Strength:

Extremely fast bike, very light, best bike I have ever ridden.

Original seat was way too stiff, and rigid.

Cannot beat the price for performance if you can still find any '99 models. Excellent bike for someone getting serious about roadbiking or triathlons, or at least interested in shaving minutes off the bike segment in tri's. I look forward to roadbiking like never before.

None - Other roadbike is 12 year old Bianchi.

[May 27, 2000]
Eric Przepierski

Strength:

Weight, 20.14 lbs on a 60cm frame, Stiffness, looks, and Grabber Green color (especially when paired with red hi-lights.

You really have to tighten the seat bolt clamp to keep seat from twisting, you may think that you are about to strip it, but you won't. I tjust requires alot of force. the seat aero fairing needs to be cut down if you need to lower your seat. I'm about 6'2 on a 60 cm frame, I probaly should have gone with a 58cm though, but am doing just fine on my 60cm.

I did not by this bike stock. I bought just about every part from people through this web site. But for what I paid for would of probably cost me 2500 to 2700 retail. This is an excellent bike that is very aero. All you woudl need to do is get aero wheels and bars to up stage people on funky, but sometimes cool looking, frames. This Bike climbs anc accelerates really great and does not flex from sprinting. Just the grabber Green color alone gets attention from many people. the frame design is the coolest looking of diamond frames. This bike is best suited for those who are starting to race and so they then have a pro level frame as the get better, not that I'm all that myself.

none, except mountain and downhill bikes.