Specialized 2000 Allez A1 Sport Older Road Bike

2000 Allez A1 Sport

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 components, Kinesis fork

stueyc72   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2011]
Strength:

frame, bars

bottom bracket creaks and cracks on hill climbs

impressed with accuracy and speed considering this bike is now 10 years old!

Similar Products Used: giant ocr3
hurdleking   Recreational Rider [Jan 16, 2004]
Strength:

Paint, weight, fit, responsiveness

Rims, bottom bracket, fork

Overall, with the additions I have made, this is a great bike. It looks great and rides great. The A1 Aluminum frame has great response, especially on climbs. The Shimano 105 components shift efficiently and without problems. Broke 7 spokes in 1000 miles. I am 6'4" 200lbs, so a spoke here or there is to be expected, but these are terrible. A switch to Mavic Cosmos rims took care of that. The BB clicks every so often on climbs. The addition of the blue US postal saddle and tires looks great with the Red and white(cream) paint of the frame. The black color of the Mavic rims also adds alot of flavour with the patriotic "theme". Bumps are a bit rough, but I plan on going to a carbon fork very soon. Great bike for the price. Ideal for large powerful recreational riders who want to occasionally race. Can be easily upgraded to an effective racing machine.

Similar Products Used: Vintage Eddie Merckx
RoadKIll_RN   Recreational Rider [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

Frame, geometry, drivetrain

wheels, hubs, saddle

Ride 100 miles + per week on this bike. Another 50 on the MTB. Hubs and Wheels stink, replaces with Shimano 540's.Oh Daddy! Running SpeedPlay X-1's, 110 mm Ritchey Stem, Selle Italia Octavia Saddle, Mich. Pro Race tyres, otherwise stock. I LOVE this set-up. Once hte wheel prob fixed, this bike ROCKS! Fast sprinter, reliable trouble free drivetrain and rail like cornering. Enjoy the smooth speed. A GREAT value for the enthusiest rider.

Similar Products Used: 1st serious road bike.
Aric   Road Racer [Dec 14, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is great. Stiff and fast. I still race on the stock aluminum fork. I don't mind the stiffness, and I love beating guys on bikes 3 times as expensive. 105 components do the job and are holding up pretty well after having both shifters replaced (much thanks to LBS)

The stock wheels are not even worth mentioning.

Bought this bike on a great deal from LBS. I wanted a good bike to start racing on with room to upgrade and that's exactly what I got. The frame is killer in looks and performance. It does not flex. Stand up in a sprint and it just goes. I have put 1500 miles on it, much of it pretty hard training and I love it. The seat hasn't ever bothered me. I got rid of the wheels as soon as I could. Spokes breaking etc. Now I'm riding on bladed shimanos and loving it. My LBS has been great. Fixed both shifters and relaced my rear wheel twice.

Similar Products Used: none
MarkyMark   Recreational Rider [Sep 01, 2002]
Strength:

Nice Paint

Wheels, bottom bracket, frame

I've ridden the bike for about two years, about 4000 miles. Rear wheel broke spokes continually. LBS eventually rebuilt wheel with straight 14 gauge spokes. Spokes still broke. I ended up purchasing Mavic Open Pro / Ultegra. Bottom bracket made ugly noise after about 3000 miles... had to be replaced. Latest problem. Frame sheared 3 weeks ago near where derailleur mounts. Specialized will warranty, but they only have new style compact frames. The front derailleur, fork, and headset won't fit on new frame. Specialized will only warranty frame, no shipping labor, or new parts if old are incompatible with what they now offer for frames. I'm still waiting to get it back. Need I say more? $250 for rebuild, $200 for wheels, $70 for new bottom bracket. Two years old... $520 in repairs.

Similar Products Used: 1st road bike
phil jones   Road Racer [Jul 14, 2002]
Strength:

An excellent frame and good groupset, finishing kit is good too. (apart from the saddle)

Those wheels!(changed after 3 months and 2 spoke snapping rides) The stiff forks were too stiff for the local roads (handle bar vibration),so front fork changed for carbon item.(problem solved)

I found my bike while looking for something to start ,training/racing after a 8 year break, it was last years model and discounted quite a lot,it has proved to be a good choice after >3,000 miles of riding.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1400
Christian   Recreational Rider [Jan 13, 2002]
Strength:

Best bang for the buck; Reliable all-around trainer/ocassional weekend racer; Stiff frame is great on climbs.

Wheelset is horrendous; Bottom bracket creaks ocassionally; Saddle is no good for rides greater than 20 miles; Frame is a bit too stiff for ultra-long rides.

This bike is a great buy for the money. Ride is a bit harsh, but the stiff frame makes up for it on long or stepp climbs. Tracks great on long flat stretches. Handling could be a bit more aggressive, though, but it''s great for an entry-level frame. I''ve been logging 100+ miles almost every week since I bought it. Durable and attractive paint/sticker job. As everybody else has mentioned, the wheelset is no good. I switched to a pair of Mavic Cosmos and the difference was unbelievable, as well as no more weekly trips to the local shop for wheel truing.

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Expert TG; Bennotto Triathlon.
Jason   Recreational Rider [Dec 24, 2001]
Strength:

Light. Good looking paint/decals. Neutral yet lively handling.

A bit stiff, but not really that bad.

This is actually my wife''s bike. I bought the frame off of Ebay from Ben''s Bike in Milwaukee, WI (good shop, they have a lot of nice frames on Ebay) and built it up with Ultegra. Despite my rather strong distaste for aluminum as a frame material, this bike is very nice. The paint is very pretty, and doesn''t seem to chip easily. The geometry is neutral, without anything fancy or wierd. Just regular old time tested stuff. This bike is just a little longer than square (hers is a 52 cm c-c). Nertz to all of these builders who are making 2 to 3 cm longer top tubes. As to stiffness, yeah, I wouldn''t want to ride it in Paris-Roubaix, but for average roads it is better than you think. Use a carbon post/ti saddle and you will likely be fine. Worst case, upgrade to a nice carbon fork, but honestly it was better than I expected (and I rode it right after getting off my carbon Epic.)

Similar Products Used: 1993 Specialized Carbon Epic. 853, 753 and prestige steel bikes.
Gary   Recreational Rider [Aug 23, 2001]
Strength:

Good stiff frame that accelerates and climbs very well. Great price (bought 2000 model as 2001 were being introduced). Welds are excellent. Good components for the money with exception to the wheels.

As just mentioned, the wheels- they suck. Like many other riders have complained about, the spokes break WAY too easily (I've broken 3 in 1300 miles on the rear-left side). Seat is a little hard at first, but does break in some. Ritchey rear hub is junk- has a lot of side to side slop in the freewheel (even with the bearings adjusted properly). The front skewer also broke with 2 weeks of buying the bike- it was a Ritchey skewer. It snapped when putting on the front wheel. My LBS has been absolutely EXCELLENT in regards to the front skewer and wheels, however.

Excellent bike for the money- build quality and component setup (with exception to the wheels) hard to beat in this price range. Very comfortable and fast bike. I plan on replacing the wheelset in the near future- a must-do if you purchase this bike. Otherwise an all around great bike!

Similar Products Used: None- first road bike!
Mike Rousseau   Recreational Rider [Aug 22, 2001]
Strength:

Definitely price. I got $90 in credit from performance (new M858 pedals and some shorts, basically), so it was really in the high $700s.

Wheelset bites. essentially threw the original wheels away after six months. got a great set of DuraAce/Mavic Open Pro whees from Supergo for $125. Now the bike feels like a Colnago or Klein aluminum

I am a beefy rider, 6 feet, 200lbs, massive quads. I break wheels, strip hubs, destroy chains, etc. So to only have problems with the known-to-be-weak stock wheels, this bike has proven to be durable and fun.

Liquid smooth for an aluminum frame. I will try carbon forks soon. with good wheels and tires, I can't see needing more.

2000+ miles in the last 17 months of having this bike. I could afford more, but this machine does all I ask while being fun.