Trek 1999 2500 Older Road Bike

1999 2500

1999 Trek 2500, road race & triathlon, Shimano Dura-Ace components, ICON Air Rail fork

MTM   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff, & fast; extremely reliable; Cool R/W/B color scheme.

My fork seems to pull to left a bit; I have to shift my weight to the right a bit when riding hands free to dig in jersey pockets. Probably a maintenance issue and not bike's fault.

I bought the frame/fork used off eBay, then built it up to full Ultegra drivetrain, added Bontrager Race wheels, American Classic seatpost. Done a few centuries on it and have used it a regular training bike for about 18mos. I like to sprint, and this bike is very responsive with no discernable flex. Five massive steamy turds!

This bike was an upgrade for me from a 1994 Specialized Epic. I have been extremely happy with this bike and although I'm presently in the market for a Madone, the 2500SL will remain in the livery as a spare/bad weather bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Epic (carbon/aluminum); Specialized Allez (aluminum)
Thom   Racer [Sep 08, 1999]
Strength:

Extremely Stiff and Responsive Frame
Dura-Ace gruppo is tight and light
Lightweight Climber's Bike

The color scheme is downright embarrassing
The Icon stem/handlebar combination is made for people with long fingers and strong backs

This bike is as fine a product as i have tested/ridden (in the $2k range) although I would not have purchased it had it not been marked down to $1850. I tried a number of other bikes including those listed above and did not feel as comfortable on any of them. This bike is stiff, climbs remarkably well and is very light. The alluminum frame feels better (to me) than the OCLV carbon and a bit more forgiving than the C-dale. Dura Ace is always nice although I could have been happy with Ultegra. If your LBS is feturing a '99 close-out, I would really recommend this bike (as long as you can get it in the sub-$2k range). Climbers and sprinters will appreciate the feel, even if the bumps ring a bit more than they did on the OCLV. Of course, all things being equal, I still would have wanted that C-40.

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200
Cannondale R1000
Lemond Zurich/Alpes d'Huez
David W.   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 1999]
Strength:

* FAST!!!
* light
* Good Value
* Looks Sharp

Since I've only owned the bike 3 mos. I haven't had time to really beat on it and find problems.

The first high end bike I've owned. Unless I wasn't looking hard enough I couldn't find a bike in the same value (i.e. DuraAce components, Rolf Vector Pro wheels) for around $2K. This bike seems incredibly fast compared to bikes I have previously owned. There probably are better deals to be had but I haven't been slick enough to find them. Overall, though, I am very happy with the bike (five flaming turds). I recently completed my first sub 5-hour century.

Similar Products Used: LeMond Zurich
Giant TCR1R
Russ   Road Racer [May 02, 2000]
Strength:

I bought the frame and built it up. A very nice bike. Very light, with no discerable flex. I like that it doesn't come with an aheadset so I can easily adjust the stem height.

None so far

A nice bike for not alot of money.

Similar Products Used: None
Mark   Recreational Rider [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

Stiff,(but not uncomfortable), Light, Fast. Great platform for sprinting, climbing. Did my personal best century on it without feeling like #$%^ as with other bikes

Trek discontinued this one for 2000--Dura Ace and Vector Pro are worth it, especially since you will probably get it discounted under the cost of the 2300 for year 2000 (frame is probably the same). As stated before--5 flaming turds!!