Trek 1999 Y Foil 66D Older Road Bike

1999 Y Foil 66D

1999 Trek Y Foil 66D, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

Nathan Scot   Road Racer [Jul 03, 2007]
Strength:

OCLV sturdy, very aero and comfortable and minimal bounce (unlike a softride). Handles quite well, stable downhill at 50mph+, good power transfer at bottom bracket. Elegant looking despite what was cutting edge design.

Original fork heavy! Frame is not the lightest but bike can be made into a competitive 18 lbs with a little work
Rear stays are vulnerable to shoe rub.
Cross winds can be tricky if inattentive
Not legal for racing (damn UCI!)

I have 5 bikes I ride and this is still a dream bike. I have repainted it, the seams in the OCLV lugs caused the original paint to crack. New, higher quality paint does not suffer from the same problem. Many users have thought this was a terminal problem but it is just a paint blemish. Y-foil is a solid road bike, not a TT bike. Stock fork heavy and unique, bike was made to accept a rock shock for Paris-Roubaix, hence a taller fork crown. My 59 CM size accepted a standard Reynolds carbon fork and I swear it handles better now than with the stock geometry. It makes the seat tube angle just a bit steeper.
Was ridden by Mike Pigg in a triathlon before I got it. The designer of the frame said my custom paint was the best scheme he ever saw on the frame (Gustav Klimt inspired)

Similar Products Used: Not many items similar, but I have:
Austro-Daimler Superleicht (stretchy geometry)
Leader Crit alum bike
Spec Epic carbon
Ciocc Mockba 80
aejc   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2004]
Strength:

aerodynamics, looks, acceleration

water bottle boss

Overall, this was a great bike. After six years and 20K miles, I still love it and its looks still turn heads. It accelerates, climbs and handles well, and the suspension smooths the roadway. I bent the derailleur hanger switching gears on a climb, and the frame was returned to Trek for inspection. Trek found a crack in the frame and offered a 5500 frame as a replacement. I upgraded to a Madone, but missed the Y-foil enough to buy another one.

Similar Products Used: nothing really: previous bike Puegeot PFN-10, mtb: Dean Duke XC
briandavis   Triathlete [May 05, 2003]
Strength:

Great handling, Great Hill Climber. Silky Smooth Ride.

Cross wind nightmare. With deep wheels, the wind is your worst enemy.

This bike is da__ __ fast. I've had it 4 4 years now and have not had one problem. I'm 6.0' and 185 lbs, and am amazed at how well it has held up. My friends are always bugging me to get a new bike, I tell them, when they can drop, me I will

Similar Products Used: Softride
Jay   Road Racer [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Supple ride, good handling, predictable brakes.

Cross-winds are best avoided. The frame and the wheels catch a side blast, you're down! Yes, the tape unravels (eventually). So what?

After 9000 miles, several charity centuries and the rigors of daily pounding, my Y-foil continues to amaze me. I got the Spinergy Rev-X thrown into the deal. You should hear the kids at the local high school when I fly by!

Similar Products Used: Myiata Aluminum bought in Japan. Cannondale
mlivesay   Recreational Rider [Feb 23, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable ride, Very responsive, The best ride I've had.

After 3 years of riding it, I've noticed a crack in the frame around a fabrication joint just ahead of the crank. I sent it in to trek and spoke to Jeff at 920-478-4678 ext 2241. My concern was it was falling apart, Jeff assued me it wasn't and offered to replace the frame. I told him I was the second owner and he said he would still replace it, except I would have to pay for it, only $1000. If only I was the original purchaser. Honestly I'm afraid to ride it. Another rider in our group has the same crack on his Y77, but he is the original owner, so I guess they will replace his free. I wonder if General Motors will consider an original purchaser warrenty. Anyway, I feel this unsafe and not an isolated problem. Check your frames riders. If you want to know more, email me at mlivesay@midwest.net

A very good all round ride, great hill climber, downhill speedo.

steven kim   Commuter [Dec 26, 2002]
Strength:

Wind cheating aerodynemics.Exotic looks.

Handle bar bangs against frame if you're not careful.Very rare and hard to find.Poor water bottle/air pump mount.My pants occasionally get caught in the rear brake cable flash.Rolf Vector Comps are too heavy.Handlebar tape readily unravels.

Very aerodynamic bike.You can feel the difference when you hit 25-30 mph-a lot less effort needed to mash down on the pedals.In fact I thought I was 2 gears off because I was pedaling so fast but I was actually on the biggest gear.The wind wasn't a factor.

Similar Products Used: Trek USPS 5200,Specialized fsr Extreme,Nishiki Alien
Alan Schmidt   Triathlete [Jun 01, 2002]
Strength:

Looks! Ride! Strong Frame!

1) No top tube for conventional racks 2) No place for bottles 3) Aggressive seat tube angle for tri-use

I first fell in love with the looks of this bike. It looks fast standing still, especially with the Rev X spinergy wheels. The neighbor kids whoo and ahh over it. The bike is very compliant and yet stiff for climbs and acceleration. I noticed a dramatic improvement over my aluminum frame. I am a 200lb rider and really abuse the bike. I do many triathlons each year and this bike tears up the course. I love to pass those $4k to $5k bikes as I roll by on the flat.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh R700
davesnums   Recreational Rider [Nov 25, 2001]
Strength:

Weight - frame is all carbon - 2.4 lbs

None yet - accept not legal for road races - but ok for club rides, tris, etc

This is a great bike - light weight carbon frame and comfortable to ride for long distances. I got lucky and came across one used and in good shape.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000 (first road bike I owned)
Me   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

It's carbon fiber and it's a Trek. What more could you ask for?

Just a tad heavy and I'm disappointed that it's specced better this year

Great bike. Just took it in for it's first tune up after a year of ownership. Unfortunately it sat in storage for a few months though. The new Y's are so much better with the threadless setup and lighter frames. That's not to say I don't love mine anymore but I want lighter. Still comfy. Actually loaded it for a 3 day trip too and it worked great except for the fact that my panniers sat so high and I had no granny gear. I really don't have any desire for the granny though. I only did the trip because I went with a friend. Overall it's a great bike and I'm sure most riders will thoroughly enjoy the new Y's. I had to upgrade my 32 spokes to my Spinergy's though and the bike looks hot! Peace out and ride everything