Trek 1999 Y Foil 77 Older Road Bike

1999 Y Foil 77

1999 Trek Y Foil 77, road race & triathlon, Shimano Dura-Ace components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

bikebldr   Recreational Rider [Feb 07, 2006]
Strength:

Great Trek customer service, frame design slices the air better than newer lighter frames, excels on long rides, no flex sprints(monocoque molding), no numbness because the beam smooths out the road. Attention grabber from riders and non riders. Nice wall art when not riden.

Cross winds with deep V rims are felt. Frame not legal in some races. No longer in production.

OK so my fellow team riders called it the circus bike when I first built the Y-77 in 2000, but I was the one laughing when they couldn't catch me on climbs and especially on the downhills. Most of them are now riding carbon or Ti/carbon frames trying to duplicate this out of production Trek marvel. I train and race on this bike 150-200 miles a week even though it was built and set up for centuries. I have tried to stray, but can't find anything that replaces the smooth ride, fast easy sprints and attention that the Y-77 gives. If you have the chance to buy or ride this bike you'll never regret it.

Similar Products Used: Trek Madone,5500,5200 Colnago C40, CT1, Specialized Tarmac, Giant OCR and Orbea Orca(I would stray to this frame if I quit riding the Y-77)
jdlipman   Recreational Rider [Jul 23, 2004]
Strength:

Looks, ride and Trek support!

I had problems with the braking on the Rolf Vector Pros. I got the first ones off the lot. There was no machined braking surface. Trek exchanged the wheels without a question. When I still had problems, they swapped out the brake pads with the softer Durace model. This made a huge difference. Thank you Trek and Bicycle Tech (My dealer)

I previously rode a Trek 5200 which I loved and shared many a century with and every morning ride. When the Y77 was released, my friend/dealer had a Y66 in the store and told me to take it home for a week just for fun. I had no initial intention of buying this bike but fell instantly in love. I did NOT like the Ultegre groupo or the wheels so I opted for the Y77 with full Durace and Rolf Vector Pro wheels. As much as an equipment freak as I am, and I like a new bike every 2-3 years, I will never sell this bike. The ride and looks are second to none and boy it's comfy and it moves! As a creative director, I truly appreciate it's timeless design and elegance with the practical benefits of comfort. I would only like to upgrade my bars, stem and seatpost in the very near future.

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200
Ray Canuck   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2004]
Strength:

Unbelievable acceleration, stiff BB, smoothest ride on the road! Looks

unapproved design (too bad) Tricky in strong side winds. (I wouldn't recommend deep dish rims.) Looks lastly..... you can't get them anymore!

Thought I'd add my long term usage review to the list here. The other day I went out wanting to buy a new bike, just because I was a little bored and wanted the latest. Knowing the owner of the shop allowed me to take several bikes out for long rides. I tried the Trek TT...well looks cool and is fast but not an everyday bike. The Cervelo Soloist was nice but it didn't fit me quite right. Last I tried a Litespeed Ti which was my least favourite. Well here I am today with my 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77, it is by far the best ride. The only upgrades on my bike are the Spox wheelset & Syntace cow horn bars (I prefer them over drops) No arrow bars though, my Tri days are over. Probably have 20 000km on the frame, without a hint of a problem. I'm not a big fan of it's looks today but did like the look when I bought it. I'm 6ft ,180lbs and love 3-5 hour rides through hilly terrain. If you find one your size buy it, disregard what the bike shop guy & your buddy says 'cus this is a sweet ride! PS: I am interested in the Cervelo R2.5 can't wait to try one.

Similar Products Used: Trek 2300, Quintana Roo Kilo
soberollers   Road Racer [Nov 14, 2002]
Strength:

read above...

no weaknesses

The bike is set up as a time trial but I road ride with it as well. Wheelset is the Hed Jet 60 (a bit heavy but still fly’s), Vision bar (again a bit heavy but makes up in aero), with Record crank/BB, Dura Ace bar end shifters and the rest Ultegra. All together the bike is a tad heavier than my past bikes but blows them all away in comfort & performance. Climbs pretty well along with her sprinting ability. I've had Look's, Fuji Team's, Cannandale's, Avanti's, etc and the Foil is so much greater that I sold all the rest. So comfortable, very rigid, extremely aero and very fast. Lacks a tiny bit in climbs and sprints but still blows away other climbers and sprinters. If you can get a hold on a frame I strongly suggest you do so and build one up and then you will know what I'm talking about. Super product, too bad they stopped making them. Another thing is that it's not spongy like the softrides as it's a one piece carbon. Enjoy...

Similar Products Used: no similar ride except between a Look and a Zipp bike...
mapryor   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2002]
Strength:

Very cool look...I get stopped all the time by roadies wanting a closer look. And much easier on the crotch while still being rock solid accelerating and climbing.

None, only that Trek discontinued in 1999, but perhaps these reviews will cause them to bring it back!

I''ve had a Trek 5200 for a year, and I just had to have a Y-77. Chain Reaction sold their last 56cm frameset the week before, so I cruised eBay and got the frame, fork, headset, quill, and seatpost for $750. I love my 5200, but the Y-77 is one better--it''s easier on the family jewels over a long ride. I feel a nice cushioning over bumps with the "beam" suspension of the seat, while the rest of the bike is rock solid. Descending is slightly faster than my 5200, and I''m glad I went Dura Ace on the shifters because my stock Ultegra STIs just crapped out on my 5200. But now I get to ride my Y-Foil more!

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200 triple
William Ayers   Recreational Rider [Nov 02, 2001]
Strength:

everything

I am without a road bike for a few weeks, but that is it.

I love my y-foil. Every other review that is written braggs about how wonderful the bike rides, so my typing it would be reduntant. But this is where Trek shines, while other companies do not (ie Cannondale). I dropped my chain into the chainstay during a ride and it gouged the carbon. I sent it back to Trek. My LBS said it would be about 200 for Trek to put in a new stay. When they stripped the paint, they found a crack in the beam, so Trek is building me a new frame for free. I even get to pick the color. I had repainted the frame and I bought the bike second hand. Trek could have voided the warranty for either reason and stuck me with a broken frame, but being the good business that they are, they held to the warranty and are GIVING me a new bike. WAY to go TREK. When i buy a new bike, I am definitely going to buy another TREK. My first real bike was a trek, and so will my last.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale
Tom   Recreational Rider [Jan 31, 2001]
Strength:

strong good riding,light

rolf wheels must be purchased by the set only

Trek 5500 is a very good bike.Although dealers should explain to buyers that if a wheel (rolf Sestieres) is damaged from a crash or some other means then the purchaser might have to purchasa both.A set of wheels is priced around 800.00 not including taxes.This means every time you have to replace one then it will be over 800 dollars.Also I recently discovered that Trek owns Rolf wheel company.I recently crashed my 5500 trek damaging my front wheel and after a lot of long distance phone calls and several emails to trek I was offered a front wheel at two different prices.The first price was at 400.00 and the second price was at 57% of 800.00 by another employee at Trek.I found out today that one Trek store in Atl.had the front wheel at 324.00. and another would sell me one at 299.All the other stores that I called would only sell me both and not break the set up.Well I think I will put my trek 5500 up for sale and purchase another brand.I just want everyone out there that is interested in buying a bike aware of this problem that I have gone through and maybe if one is going to purchase a trek 5500 they might want to ask the dealer about the rolf wheel situation whereas if they damage one will they have to buy a set!Watch out for wild car drivers!!! Tommy

Similar Products Used: None
Paul   Road Racer [Jan 31, 2001]
Strength:

Superior design, user comfort, stability

No longer made

Qualified for RAAM on my first long ride. Smooth ride over 508 miles, climbed like a champ and descended faster than any other bike. I also rode it in Ironman races with good results. Replaced the STI's with bar ends and stock handlebars with the Profile Carbon X. I can ride all day in the aero, in comfort, and have legs left to run or bike deep into the night. Dosn't bounce like the pure beam bikes which allows me to vary rhythm during ultras. The bike stands out visually and is definatelly the most aero on the road. This bike has been no small part of my progression up the cycling food chain.

Similar Products Used: Softride, Titan Flex, traditional titanium, carbon and aluminum bikes
david g   Recreational Rider [Feb 10, 2001]
Strength:

I picked up the new bike today and I went out for a 15 mile ride. It was pretty windy so I got a good work out. I went over some bumpy roads on purpose to see if I would notice a difference from my 5200. There is definately much less road vibration. The frame is however still very stiff and accelerates quickly. My new vector pro wheels sound a bit louder when coasting then my vector comp wheels were. When I went down some pretty steep hills, reaching 43 miles per hour I was not blown around by the cross wind. The bike feels about the same weight as my 5200, I did not notice any difference. On the flats I had no problem reaching 27 miles per hour. So far I like the way it rides and I have no regrets about trading in my trek 5200. I rode into Newtown to pick up a set of allen wrench's so I could adjust my seat; I misplaced my old one. I am not sure if this is good or bad but the bike got alot of stares. I hope it doesn't get too cold tommorow so I can ride again. You are going to love riding this bike and you will not see many on the road. If you dont buy, you are missing out on a great ride.

they dont make the bike anymore and I you never seem to see many. I would love to know the real reason they stopped making this bike. water bottle holder for 54 cm frame does not accomodate standard size bottle.
difficult to find rear bike rack that works off a hitch

So far I like the bike. I am concerned about durability though. I special ordered this bike after seeing a picture in a old 99 catalog. I had just bought a 2000, trek 5200 last spring and put about 2000 miles on my 5200. I brought the 5200 in for a new chain and cluster and ended up trading in the bike adding some money and getting this. bottom line: the bike feels simillar to the 5200 on flats, more comfortable then the 5200 on bumpy roads, more aerodynamic on down hills ie less interferance with cross wind. better looking then the 5200. After I have a few hundred miles I will post another review.