Trek 2000 5200 Older Road Bike

2000 5200

• The 2.44 lb. OCLV carbon frame, handbuilt in the USA, is the lightest production frame available.
  • The same responsive Trek Pro Geometry Lance won on.
  • The ICON Air Rail carbon fork, raced by the USPS Pro Cycling team, is ultralight and responsive.
  • The Rolf Vector Comp paired spoke wheelset is light, stiff and aerodynamic.
  • Shimano Ultegra crank and 9-speed derailleurs (double or triple).

• User Reviews (105)

Arthurl   Triathlete [Feb 10, 2007]
    Strength:

Robust/Stiff frame, Smooth Ride, Great for fast flat rider like me.

Poor paint quality - scratches easily and very fragile.
    Original San Marco seat feels like a plank.

Having decided to pick up triathlon 3 years ago, i had decided that Trek's 5200 was an ideal bike for me as it had great reviews on this website. I bought mine second hand from a website in Singapore and loved it immediately. The carbon frame was lighter than anything i had ridden then and the ride was smooth like riding on carpet! I thought the stock Rolf Vector Comp wheels were ok as training wheels but i recently upgraded to a pair of Zipps for racing. It is a fast bike on the flats and the pickup and handling is amazing. I switched the Icon seatpost to a Ritchie WCS Carbon post, and replaced the San Marco replica with Fizik's Arione Tri - best saddle i've had.

In 3 years, i have put the frame and parts through quite a bit of a test. The only rusty bits have been some bolts at the stem/water bottle area and the brake/gear cables. Small issue. But it was recently that i found a flaw with Trek's build quality, and that is its fragile paintwork/logo stickers. Having to share transportation to my training/race venues means putting the bike in a van, with other makes like Cannondale, Giant, etc... and it seems like my Trek is the only one to ALWAYS come out the worse for wear. Its quite disappointing that a bike this expensive (if bought new, which luckily i didn't) could lose its paintwork/decals so easily. It makes me very tempted to strip the paintwork and respray the bike! Apart from this complaint, i'd say this bike is a great ride for beginners with a bit more cash to spend. I won't be looking at another Trek for my upgrade unless the paint quality is improved upon.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Six 13 for a few test rides.
    boisclair   Commuter [Dec 13, 2006]
    Strength:

Very strong frame, quiet and smooth ride, very fast, comfortable enough to go for very long 100 mile rides. climbs like a goat.

can't really find any.

This 5200 is a rocket, I really purchased it for the frame. I commute every day all year, I use a mountain bike for winter. I'm a big guy 225 lbs and have had no problems with the frame, no wonder trek took this model out of the line up for 2007, was too much bike for too little money, anyone looking for a hi end road bike should be considering a 5200, get one before they sell out and re-stock with 07 models.

Similar Products Used: trek 1500, devinci, various other road bikes since 1973.
    SevenEli   Road Racer [Dec 28, 2004]
    Strength:

smooth ride good handling

paint comes off easily specially in the cable stopers due to corrosive of Al stoppers..

When I bought this bike.. WOw what a dream bike but as a started doing tri the cable stopper started to corrode which started to peel the paint. Now my bike is a mess paint is coming off here and there. Well that was still ok cause the ride is still very nice. Then one day the dropouts was bent and that was the end of my bike. the dropouts were not replacable Dealer in Singapore told me to see the Philippine dealer and the Philippine delaer told me to see the Sing dealer. so end up buying another bike and dispoing this frame.

Bam-Bam   Road Racer [Jan 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Modest price (frame only) light-weight stiff & efficient comfortable

Slight loss of road feel Slightly noisy; hollow frame tubes amplifiey shifting noises Needs frame size choices in 1cm graduations, not 2cm

I was shopping for a new frame and the Trek 5500 was on my short list. I mean how can you beat a 3-1/2# frame _AND_ fork a piddling $1500?? I planned to buy a naked frame and build it up with my own special concoction of components (Campy cogs, FSA crank, Brew brakes, Deda stems and h-bar). But the occasional reference in reviews to the Trek’s “dead” or “wooden” feeling made me want to do more than just a dealer’s short test-ride. So I borrowed a friend’s 2000 model 5200 triple and kept it a week. In brief, the frame is nearly flawless. It’s lighter than it has reason to be and so stiff I can’t detect _any_ bottom bracket flex (but I’m a miserable sprinter). Its cornering is confidence-inspiring and it panic stops without drama. Seamless and practically perfect performance. It’s certainly more capable than I am. Then there’s the ride. The carbon mutes small irregularities so well that most roads feel as if they were laid by real professionals (figure the odds). It’s a trait that spares the kidneys a ton of abuse on long rides. And, for me, that was the problem. The difference was very small but very distinct. Having spent the past 12 years on Italian steel, I have grown accustomed to high levels of road feedback. After my first real ride I had labeled the 5200 as “numb.” It muted road feel that I had grown to rely on, feel that communicated with me the condition of the road. It was a deal-breaker. I returned my friend’s bike and, the next day, called Carl Strong (www.strongframes.com) and ordered a custom all-steel frame. The Trek’s performance is virtually flawless; I just have a problem with _how_ it goes about its business. If I’d bought one of my own, I’d imagine that a year down the road I’d laugh at the idea of ever going back to steel. But for now you can pigeon-hole me with the rest of the “steel is real” retro-grouches.

Similar Products Used: Tommasini SLX Pinarello SL Trek 2300 Merlin Titespeed Ultimate
    markus williner   Recreational Rider [Sep 30, 2002]
    Strength:

light, good looking, ttrustworthy, quality. Just the feeling you are looking for if you want to have a great time on the road. And, other riders will envy you. Of course, you always have to keep an eye on it. Smoke Carbon is in my opinion much better than USPS colors. You don't look like someone who wants to be like Lance Armstrong, but who will never reach this level anyway.

the saddle is hell

After several years I decided to finally buy a really good bike. I road tested some, but when I was racing through berne on a trek 5200 2001, my choice was made after all. And indeed I was right. This baby is just gorgeous. I didn't know that racing was that comfy.

Similar Products Used: old gerber road bike. about ten years old. but still very reliable. I still use it to go to university. Hey, nobody would leave a trek 5200 carbon locked in some dark corner in town!
    pndxtr1   Recreational Rider [Aug 15, 2002]
    Strength:

Fast, sure, stiff where it needs to be, and giving where it ought to. Much more comfy and stable than my old Aluminum 1420. Looks great, and always gets those "envious" looks from other cyclists who appreciate the quality of this excellent piece of equipment. The Rolf wheels, with 18f/20r bladed spokes, are incredibly strong, and have been, over 4000 miles, almost maintenance-free.

Constantly plagued by others' "bike envy." LOL! :-)

FABULOUS! After pounding my neck and shoulders with my 1991 Trel 1420, I shot the wad on my dream bike. With 20/20 hindsight, I can honestly say that I made the right choice! I have been totally pleased with my OCLV.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1420, my old ride. Retired in 2000, with 14,000 miles, after my first ride on my 5200. LOSE the Aluminum! Go with the OCLV!
    cpt denny   Recreational Rider [Aug 08, 2002]
    Strength:

The upgraded wheels. Fast, comfortable and "Flashy" (when standing still)

Triple cranks is an over kill unless you really, really need it. Brings out the "green-eyed monster" in other brand loyalist.

I have now ridden this bike for nearly 2 yrs and have 3500 miles on it. Ridden through the streets of the NYC area to the hot surfaces of Southern FL. This is the most bang for the buck that I have experianced in a road bike. I got the Y2K Postal model and before some of you cry out "poser" next time look at your road shoes which slip and slide on your local bagel shop floor (MTB shoes are perfect), then get dropped by some one like me riding a $600 hybrid. BTW I'm 5'11" 200-225# 47 yo. Let your legs do the talking! The 5200 has gone into some deep pot holes so hard that I had to stop and check the Rolf Sestrieres wheels, never a problem, always running true. You can spend more in an overseas special but remember the extra cash you pay is mostly an export tax of some sort. I ride hard and the carbon frame still looks new, no cracks no creeks no flex that I have seen or felt. It all depends on you the individual, you can spend $2K or $10K for a great road bike. That's why they sell Rolex or Timex they both tell time, it's an individual thing. The bike is fast and smooth especially since I have installed the Easton Carbon handle bars and Carbon seat post and I no longer feel my hands getting numb. My seat which I have found to be very comfortable "for me" is the off road saddle WTB. I have the 56 cm frame and the entire bike with stock groupo with triple cranks (not needed the double is all you need)weighs in at just under 17# and at my body weight I don't worry about Grams while I carry many more Kilos then the average rider :-) My worry is durability under my weight and this bike has delivered. Either the bike or I have made many "roadies" think, "Is it the bike or the rider that dropped me"? The best quote dus far "I think that was Lance's big brother that just passed us".

Similar Products Used: Litespeed, Klein, Specialized, the list is long and distinguished.
    mountainbikemike   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2002]
    Strength:

Great ride. Beautiful bike. Light. Very stiff frame. I don''''t feel any frame flex when I''''m honking on the pedals going up a steep hill, and I can hit 37 in the flats sitting down. Backed by a great company (and a great shop). Lance rode one (frame anyway).

Headset and rear hub.

This is my first road bike. I thought after spending over a grand upgrading my MTB, I''''d get what I wanted in a road bike the first time around. I''''ve logged about 2500 miles on this bike. So far, I''''ve only had a few problems. The Cane Creek headset bearings went to pot before the year was up. Miraculously, the replacement bearings lasted only a month before they felt just as bad as the originals. Trek/Jolly Cyclist gave me a free upgrade to the Cane Creek S5 headset. I hope that fixes the problem for good. I have an FSA Orbit Extreme on my primary MTB, and I''''ve never had to do anything to it for 3 years except change it from one broken frame to another and another. I broke a spacer in the R hub. Trek replaced it quickly and got me back on the road within a week. There is an odd noise coming from the hug, again. I''''m unemployed and the warranty is expired, so I''''ll be riding it a little while longer. I can see some Chris King parts finding their way onto my bike once money is flowing again. My very first problem was with the Shimano 6501 STI shifters. My bike shop had to look all over and eventually had to get the replacement parts from Trek directly. Trek did not have any 6501 shifters, so they upgraded me to the new and improved 6510 shifters. They also gave me a new sensor package for the Flightdeck system installed on my bike since the pickups were different.

Similar Products Used: I test rode a Schwinn Peloton. Considering the current financial situation of Schwinn, or lack thereof, I''''m glad I went somewhere else. I also test rode a LeMond. Greg never rode one, neither did
    westcott   Road Racer [Feb 28, 2002]
    Strength:

Good Groupo Light weight Extremely comfortable ride Reasonably priced for what you get

Sub par components with package (excluding groupo) Rolf Vector Pro Wheels more prone to failure

I shopped around quite a bit before deciding that I would put together my own custom 5200 setup. I just was not happy with the level of components offered with a Trek 5200 or 5500 from you local bike shop. The seat, seatpost, handlebars, stem, fork, and headset are leave much to be desired for such a magnificent frame. I am an older rider at 38 and after riding a Cannondale R500 for two years +, I was determined to acquire a more comfortable ride. I will not beat a dead horse since most agree that the OCLV frame is one of the lightest and most shock absorbing frames around. I bought a used 5200 frame that a friend sold me for $300 less fork. He moves his components to a Serotta frame.

Similar Products Used: None
    lbyvik   Road Racer [Oct 19, 2001]
    Strength:

Light, comfortable, responsive, CLIMBS WELL. quality groupo for price.

Wheels, fit (longer TT and lower BB please) I use the Rolfs as spares. The kept filling with water and coming out of true.

Lets start by saying I had to compromise based on cost. I am thrilled by the decision. I was in the process of setting up a SEVEN Odanata and my wife announced her third pregnancy. It''s a boy, luke Christopher. HOORAY!! I have ridden every frame matererial known to man, resulting from sponsorships during a 13 yr Pro- Am racing career. I always came back to quality custom steel frames. I prefer the comfort and "life" they have. I am 5''11", 155 lbs and LOVE to climb and spend hours in the saddle. As I began the search for a new ride I tested everyting from Lemonds to Specialized and Cannondale. Finally I discovered seven and its Cost. (5 large when all is said and done) It was the perfect ride for my style and preferences. They are truly remarkable!!! However, with the looming third nugget to feed I began to look at stock bikes again. Eric at the BIKE STOP in culpeper VA convinced me to try out the 5200. I balked because I had experience on plastic and did not like the "deadwood" feel. BOY DID MY MIND CHANGE. I test road the first time in a business suit and knew I was close. In short it was as near to ideal as I would get. FANTASTIC OVERALL. To be fair I road the Lemond bikes and prefered the "feel". However, the geometry did not suit my physique. I have short legs and long torso and arms. I am so accustomed to the livleyness and "sway" of steel when climbing, that I had to develop a whole new rythym when climbing. this took about five hours of climbing both in and out of the saddle. I am now sure it will be IMPOSSIBLE to return to steel. The 5200 was the clear winner in comfort and cimbing ability. I would still prefer a longer TT and a lower BB for stability. Alas for another $3G''s I could have had that. I have had it one month and have about 1000 miles on it and am THRILLED wit my choice. My gipes are minor. We had to fool with the headset a few times as it kept binding. I wish the TT was a cm t=or two longer and the BB lower forbetter fit and stability. But that is personal and a 135 stem and an attitude adjustment got me through that. I got a closeout deal on the 2001 white postal and immediately took of the postal, Top Tube and fork decals. (they weren''t clear coated) It''s not as gaudy, POSER, wannabe now. I will very likely have Trek paint it this winter. I ride in all weather and unexpectedly t

Similar Products Used: Waterford, Litespeed, Paramount, Marinoni, Merlin I still have some of these.