Univega 2000 Modo Vivere Triple Older Road Bike

Univega 2000 Modo Vivere Triple Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage Triple components, Univega SABRE fork

[Aug 07, 2002]
Minx

Strength:

pretty fast bike, comfortable steel frame, almost effortless to pedal. Great beginner bike good combo road and tri-bike.

bike weighs a bit if stock but nothing you could fix with a couple of upgrades, wheels and fork

Great bike! good value! Been using the bike to commute to work and around marin, rides great, I agree with the other comments about the saddle being a bit hard, but that takes some getting used to.

I 've ridden the trek postal carbon fiber bike 5200 or something like that for about a month before buying this bike. I can't compare the two also the trek was almost 4times the price of the Univega,

[May 09, 2002]
georgeyew

Strength:

Steel frame, great response, comfortable, great paint.

A bit heavy, but not much, I can still comfortably carry it with one hand.

I found a 2001 model at an incredible closeout price. They actually had one that was in my size, I was amazed. For the price, the bike cannot be beat. I cannot complain about anything on the bike. I''ve been a mountain biker for 3 years and I just love the speed that this bike gives me. The components are fine, I like the fact that it can be adjusted incrementally. The seat is a bit hard, but nothing that gel padded (gummy bear)shorts can''t fix. If you can still find one for that price, get it. I have no regrets, except that I''ll be leaving my mountain bike in the garage more now :-(

GT ZR5.0

[May 07, 2002]
Pogue

Strength:

speed, gearing. Looks sharp.

The bearings grind when I apply power to the pedals. The bike shop claims that this is not adjustable. We''ll see this weekend when I take it apart. Warning! Black bicycles are not visible in city traffic. Next bike will be aluminum.

Bought the 2001 Modo Vivre after careful comparison shopping. Local bike shop ended up beating the best price by sixty bucks. Fast and tight bike. Lots of gears. It is a different ride than my 25 year old Raliegh Record. Less of a comfortable bike, but faster and more aerodynamic. Needs a new seat, I will put a Specialized Sport saddle on it. Also the pedals need to go, clip (or is it clipless?) looks easier to use.

None.

[Apr 21, 2002]
jcheyney

Strength:

Smooth ride. Great price. Well made.

Saddle is horrendous. The Mirage group isn''t particularly smooth shifting. It requires very good technique.

I was looking for my first road bike to get serious about riding with. I found this at closeout and the manager made me an offer (the bike listed at $700.00). I love it. I have 200 miles on it (including 45 miles yesterday on my first organized ride) and love it. For the money it rides well and I passed a lot of riders on much more expensive bikes. If you are looking for an entry level road bike and aren''t put off by being the off brand name it is a great deal.

[Mar 06, 2002]
tattootom

Strength:

Columbus Thron frame is on some $1200 bikes!, good components, wheels. Just a plain old great ride.

besides me, nothing.

After retirement from rugby I bought a GF Marlin for mountainbiking. Good fun, but I had more fun riding to the trails than being on them. Then I bought the Modoviviere and I love it. This is my first road bike so I didn''t want to spend a lot, turns out I didn''t have to. This thing can take me anywhere. I easily keep up with my riding buddies on $1500 Bianchis. It probably could be lighter, but then again so could I. Shifting is good, some stickage on the front derailuer, rear is crisp and clean. I don''t have a problem with the seat. It''s a little hard but it doesn''t get in my way. Buy some maxipad shorts and you''ll be fine. It''s hard for me to even get on my GF after this bike. I ride my Uni about 18 miles a day commuting and training and do about 70 miles on the weekends; gonna do some centuries in the spring. All in all, I''m very happy with this bike. If you find it, buy it. I think this is the last model for Univegas!

1st road bike. Tested Trek, Giant, Fuji, Bianchi at same price range.

[Oct 27, 2001]
SlickDaddy

Strength:

The components are smooth, and the tires grip anything you care to ride it on.

The pedals are a pain sometimes and often I have to re-tune the gears, but this is no hard task.

This bike is purely amazing, I am kinda biased however due to the fact that my previous ride was a 10-speed huffy. This bike can take alot tho, I ride at least 200 miles a week in my travels and it stands up to anything I throw at it.

nothing I''ve ever owned compares.

[Aug 21, 2001]
John

Strength:

Great Columbus Steel Frame with nice paint job!!! Terrific ride that IMHO matches Bianchi Talledega, Veloce, even LeMond Zurich at a fraction of the cost.

Mirage components, pedals, seat. But understandable at price point. Poorly applied decals that bubble. (Again, the price point issue.)

Obviously I lost my mind, but you guys should see my bike now!!! The thing has dropped substantial weight, gained some serious go, and is so personalized now that I don't think I'll ever be able to part with it. The whole bike, every component, is set up for comfort, and what started as a great looking, great riding bike has only gotten better. Like butter as they say. Univega makes sweet products that I would recommend to anyone and everyone interested in riding. Just find the right size, the right level of spec, the right look, and then go out and bond like there's no tomorrow!

Test-rode just about every reasonably priced steel bike on the market. Also Klein, Cannondale, GT, Specialized aluminum, Mongoose titanium, etc.

[Jun 13, 2000]
Greg M

Strength:

This is goin to be short and sweet. it's got campy, it's a triple, it's looks cool, the frame can take a beating, and it's affordable for a road bike! What more could you want, check this bike out. Don't be fooled and spend too much money, check out Univegas line of road bikes, they are hot hot hot!!!!

[Nov 06, 2000]
Ron L

Strength:

This is one great bike. The steel gives a great ride. You can't beat this one for the price

Mirage ergo levers, now use Veloce. The saddle just had to go, went with my favorite Ritchey Vector. Immediate change in pedals now use Look.

This is a very good bike for $650.00, the only problem is finding one.

[Nov 29, 2000]
Walter

Strength:

Great price. Very smooth ride esp. here in Fla where the "hills" are the causeways to the beach. Always great to see names like Columbus and Campy.

Saddle doesn't suit my posterior at all. Put on my old Looks immediately but was not impressed with pedals anyways.

First brand new bike in many years so things like Ergo shifters are new to me. Very smooth ride and definitely an attractive bike. Very hard to beat for price. I've never thought triples were necessary on road bikes esp. here in FL but can't complain about performance. May be just a tad heavy for a racer but for me as a reentry rider this is a nearly unbeatable choice.

Columbus and Reynolds frames of 1980s vintage. However they all had friction shifting.