Univega 2000 Modo Volare Older Road Bike

2000 Modo Volare

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Daytona components, Univega SABRE fork

The Human G-Nome   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2002]
Strength:

VERY smooth. comfortable. very adequate climber. Campy gruppo for cheap. durable.

+22 lbs. (but hey, it's steel). mavic cxp21s aren't exactly boutique wheels.

Let me just say that this bike is excellent "for the money" and you'd be hardpressed to find someone who'd write a bad review. it's a classic "steel is real" ride with low-end Campy. it's not a racer, but it's a perfect bike for riding distance and for comfort. that being said, i have no problem at all keeping up with my group on the climbs and it's certainly stiff enough to keep you in the game. if you're thinking about buying one of these, go to GVHBikes.com and have Gary build you one. you'll end up with a better ride then what you could get stock and pay less money.

Similar Products Used: several american steel and aluminum.
aroundoz   Recreational Rider [Aug 25, 2002]
Strength:

Frame, Campy components.

If anyone has bad luck when buying anything, it is usually me. I bought it from the Bicycle Center in Seattle, and although the people are friendly, the set up left a lot to be desired. 1st ride out, several spokes on the rear wheel were beyond loose, they were flopping around. The headset seal was installed incorrectly and a bearing was missing from one of the retainers in the headset. The shops solution was to toss the seal thus leaving quite the gap for water/dirt to enter. The last 5 rides I broke 3 spokes on the rear and had to have it rebuilt with double butted 14/15. It comes with straight 15 guage and was told they were too light for me (I weigh in at about 215). The crank arms were over torqued so have almost bottomed out meaning that the spindle and crank are almost flush. I was told that Daytona is low end so the aluminum is softer but I don't buy it. I would appreciate any feedback on this (paschmidt40@yahoo.com). The last thing is that the sealed bottom bracket has already developed some play after only 1000 miles. Once I replace the BB, I will most likely have to replace the cranks since they are only good for one more remove/install. I ended up taking to another shop

I will first start with the positive and say that this is the most fun I have ever had bike riding. My previous bike was a Klein, which I thought I likee, but I find this steal frame much more forgiving especially on the chip seal roads in my area. I thought I was a slow rider but now find myself keeping up w/ the fast riders in my club.

Similar Products Used: I also tried Lemond and Canondale. I am 6'05" so pretty much stuck with test riding whatever I can find in my size. Didn't notice any difference in ride between the MV and the Lemond but was only on t
Vigor   Road Racer [Jun 22, 2002]
Strength:

Campy parts, columbus tubing.

The weight, mine (56cm) without water bottles or computer comes in right at 21.2 pounds. If you're chasing someone up a hill or sprinting, 3+ pounds is significant.

I've owned my bike since Oct 2001 and have logged about 2,000 miles on it since. The frame and fork absorb the bumps well (steel/carbon combo). It also feels solid and trustworthy when doing a fast desent. The oversized down tube works for heavy cranking up hills. The price tag was something I could afford without causing significant marital discord.

Similar Products Used: I have found I like the sport, a lot, and have since bought a De Rosa Merak with campy record (along with marrital discord) for racing.
Guy   Triathlete [May 14, 2002]
Strength:

Columbus Thron steel frame and Campy gruppo

Finding one. LBS where I bought mine wouldn''t stock. Said he''d bring it in if I really thought I''d buy it. I ended up buying too large of a frame. (My fault and his). But I love it.

The bike is great. My first new bike in about 18yrs so I researched pretty thoroughly. Excellent component mix at a great price.

TOMMY KUO   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

rides straight--very stable coming down-- the cxp 21 seem pretty strong The mainly Daytona groupo just simply--works the cool frame--laterally stiff but smooth and compliant over road bumps the price the price the price

the downtube "UNIVEGA" sticker looks geeky-- a little portly compared to its similarly priced competitors--but then I am no lightweight original pedals kind of suck

This is a review of the 2001 Modo Volare Love the bike--it is about 21lb without the original Wellgo pedals(which were chucked out quickly for trusty spuds--till I save for some Speedplays, Logics, or Looks)---some surprises where the tubing itself--the THRON top is oversized and the down tube is teardrop(funny that it isn''t mentioned in the web site)--it is not a complete Daytona group ---hubs are veloce--but other than that it rides straight and downhills are much more reassuring (this is compared to my 11yo STOWE SL frame--with my 185lb)---it seems pretty smooth -want a smoother ride pump the tires up a little bit less than usual--the HSD seem able to handle slightly lower pressures of 90lb without pinch flats--so far -compared to the Giant TCR2 it was a couple of hundreds $$less with a Campy groupo on it--which shifts just fine--cool carbon straight blade fork--with this frame countersteering around corners is a snap basically it is an all Italian bike(except for the welding-and maybe the fork--Taiwan) the goofy XO saddles actually feels kind of comfy-the ITM stem and bars don''t flex

Similar Products Used: STOWE SL for 11 years(too flexy)--test rode the TCR2--couldn''t get a proper fit --too cheap to try anything else
Joe   Recreational Rider [Feb 02, 2001]
Strength:

Very good handling. The front fork and steel frame seem to be well matched....translation smooth ride.

I have gotten stuck in the pedals occassionally when after I stop and put one foot down. The foot in the pedal slightly twists and gets "locked up". Decal has air bubbles in it.

Excellent bike for the price....I know I shopped!

Similar Products Used: none - first time roadie
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2000]
Strength:

Quality Campy Components, Compliant Carbon Fork, The feel of Steel. And, it happens to match my Yellow and Black 72 Buick Skylark Ragtop....Actually the only reason I bought it. Oh, and it's not my brother's Bianchi.

The paint job could be better, it's easily marred cause it's too thin. Kinda like the Buick again.
They skimped on the bar wrap. I Replaced it with cork.

Great hardware. Forgiving Ride. Easy to get used to, fast, light (my 58cm was 22.5 lbs before my add-ons)and Costs less then Celeste. Turns heads, I didnt even get out of the store before I got stopped by some chick who saw a prototype at a bike show. "Pardon me, is that a Modo Volare?" Why yes it is, and it's mine.

Really, looks were not the only reason. It was the only reasonably priced way I could keep up with the guy on the bianchi AND still brag about better components, less weight and Farbon Ciber, Ciben Farbor, er, Carbon Fiber. I better go out and ride now. I'm getting punchy.

Similar Products Used: Since I thought I could never get comfy on a road bike, I hybridized a Mt bike, and even bought a recumbent. Found out if you're fitted properly, a road bike can be comfy.
max myer   Road Racer [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

The price. For the quality of the bike and components compared to other bike with the same features it is great. I like the carbon fork and who can complain about the Flite saddle.

Definetly the bar tape and the pedals. If possible swap out the pedals at the bike store when you buy it. They suck. They are hard to get into and sometimes I am stuck in them. But overall I am satisfied with the bike and dont regret my purchase.

I wanted to get back into racing after a few years off and being a college student on a tight budget, this is the best deal I found after looking for several months. I am happy with the bike and have many climbs with it and I am able to keep up with others on higher priced bikes. It seems to be quick out of the turns. However, I have not done an actual race on it, so I dont know how it really handles under serious pressure. Everyone, remember, its the motor, not the bike. Sure a nice bike helps, but its still in the legs.

Similar Products Used: Older trek 2300 and cannondale ms1000.
Ahsan Hamid   Road Racer [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

An amazing deal for 1029.00, It comes with everything most 2000.00 bike cost and its pretty light, plus with the carbon fork and the selle flight seat who can say no. I made some changes, I went to rolfs instead of the mavics and changed the seat post and handle bars, the 3t mutant stem is also pretty pimp!!!

finding out about it and getting a hold of one

A pimp bike for a cheap thrill!!

Similar Products Used: I used to have a klein quantum II and then I wrecked it bad I didnt feel like dumping 2500 on a new ride so I saved a 1000.00 less for a great ride.
John   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2000]
Strength:

Great price, great components, surprisingly quick but stable handling and a very good base for upgrades. As is - get a lighter set of wheels and its a budget racer.

Decals crooked, uncomfortable seat IMHO.

I bought this bike as an upgrade to my old Gitane. I was going to go for a Trek 5200 but noticed this one and couldn't pass it up. I like the look and feel of the Campy components more than Shimano, especially the shifting. I was planning on upgrading to a carbon frame soon but after putting a few miles on it the steel has won me over, at least for a while. This bike is a excellent value.