Bruce Gordon Cycles 1999 Gordon Rock 'n Road Tour Older Touring Bike

1999 Gordon Rock 'n Road Tour

1999 Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road Tour, touring, Shimano Deore XT components, Bruce Gordon fork

Franklin Smith   Recreational Rider [Jul 15, 2002]
Strength:

Bike, Racks and components are bomb proof. I followed Bruce's recommendations regarding racks and components and gearing. The advice was spot on. My wife and I each purchased a Rock and Road frame and fork, racks and panniers. We purchased our own Shimano XT components with Barcon shifters per Bruce's recommendation. We did the Northern tier (about 4400 miles) and the circumference of Nova Scotia in 1999. The bikes were flawless. Replaced the chains at 3000 miles to prevent excessive sprocket wear. Plan to do the Trans AM in 2003 and plan to use the bikes without any major maintenance since the 99' ride. Bike sizing, as recommended by Bruce since we couldn't visit his shop, was spot on. My 5'2 inch wife has never been happier on a bike. Durability of these bikes is unsurpassed. I thought the bikes were pricey until we were being hammered on a lot of bad road on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the middle of no where. Getting us through that without something breaking made the bikes a great value.

None noted so far after approximately 6000 loaded (60# gear) miles on the bikes.

The price paid includes panniers and rain covers, racks, shipping and handling and assembly.

Similar Products Used: None
Scotty   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent ride
Proven durability
Great versatility

Me *grin*

At 300 lbs, I am not a typical rider. Bruce recommended the R&R Tour for me and it has been wonderfu, climbs well and has the most wonderful, fully loaded ride I've ever experienced -- like a Cadillac. I rode it across the States a few years back loaded with around 70 lbs of gear and it performed like a champ! The other really nice thing about the bike is that you can throw flat bars on it and make it into a mountain bike. Its 700c wheels and that longer fork eat up small bumps quite well, and it climbs way better than a FS bike. I just tried out a Trek 520 and the BG smokes it!
BTW: the racks that Bruce makes are by far the strongest I have ever used and the they are designed to be used with Beckman Panniers (the best I've ever seen!) Can you tell how pleased I am with my current setup? I think it is the finest touring package you can buy!

Similar Products Used: Trek 520
klaus tilmes   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 1999]
Strength:

absolute superb craftsmanship. Excellent on all trails and road. Timeless: 10 years running and not a bit out-of-date.

Best bike I have ever had

Similar Products Used: None
James J. Kennedy   Recreational Rider [Dec 25, 2000]
Strength:

Superb ride, no faults that I could find. The comfort and handling are the best I have ever had. This is the bike to ride around the world.

This bike is too nice for the abuse my annual 5-week long tours through Ireland impose on a bike. So I bought a new Trek 520, completely rebuilt it, including a new heavy-duty wheelset,and use it for rough loaded touring. As sold new, the Trek 520 was unusable for touring. Now it is, but it doesn't come near my Brucie.

The Rock and Road is tops. Buy it if you can afford it and won't wince at giving it a rough ride. It can take it. Otherwise, buy it anyway just to have the best and risk a cheaper bike on tour.

Similar Products Used: Trek 520