Cannondale 1999 T500 Older Touring Bike

1999 T500

1999 Cannondale T500, touring, Touring Mix components, Cannondale fork

david   Recreational Rider [Apr 17, 2010]

Took mine on a tour from Freeport, Maine to Quebec Canada, and NEVER had a single issue. Never even got a flat tire! The continental top touring 2000 tires were amazing for riding over rough terrain, even glass and nails on the road shoulders were no match for them! The aluminum frame was nice and light compared to most other chromoly bikes. The mavic rims are tough as nails and always spin true. Lots of spokes help them to stay that way! Loved my t500 for the tour. Not the fastest bike, but a real tank that keeps on trucking.

OVERALL
AlW   Recreational Rider [Apr 08, 2000]
Strength:

Comfortable responsive frame, long stretched out comfortable geometry, 38mm tires on beefy sun rims, lots braze ons, and connections for adding accesories, Beautiful Black aluminum frame with none of the noise usually atributable to Alum. frames. Reasonable good stiff acceleration.

Coda Crank: 22/32/42,doesn't offer the high end gearing needed for speed down hills.

I bought it because I do about 1/2 my riding on gravel or limestone trails, and wanted the stability of the 38mm tires, but the long range efficency of a down tube handle bar bike. I got tired of fighting the wind on my hybred. The craftsmanship is excellent. I put on about 1000 miles in 4 months of actual riding with no problems or adjustments required.While I don't use it for it's intended purpose, Touring, it's a great alternative to hybreds for those wanting more performance in a bike used in a variety of terrain. I've just picked up a Trek 1220 for straight road riding, but my T500 will remain the bike I use daily for training, and converted rail road trails.
If I had to do it over I might evaluate a cyclo cross bike as well.