Cannondale 1999 T700 Older Touring Bike

Cannondale 1999 T700 Older Touring Bike

1999 Cannondale T700, touring, Touring Mix components, Cannondale fork

[Oct 07, 2011]
ian holding

Strength:

The frame- rigid and robust with plenty of brazings for bottle cages, fenders and Carriers. The plastic cable guides are rubbish though. Frame is incredibly light for its strength- 1650g on my (verified) scales. The forks are heavy (960g)and
have been replaced by carbon ones.

The fact that the only original bit still left on my frame is the rear carrier tells a story. While it was servicable straight out of the box the components were clearly of poor quality to reach a price point. There were some good/ robust components like the LX chainset and rear derailler but so much was way too heavy for my taste/needs.The unbranded alloy handlebars were 400g, the seat heavy and uncomfortable wheels were of poor quality despite the weight. Brakes squeal, fixed by replacing with Kore cantilevers. Actually I liked the brake squeal- great for politely warning others of my presence.The gear ratios were ok in my opinion.

I love the frame-its the start point for a fantastic do it all bike.

Handbuilt 531 super tourist frame by Bob Jackson of Leeds

[Mar 25, 2003]
Bob Lyons

Strength:

Sturdy frame, plenty of braze-ons for racks, three water bottles, decent paint although it has worn through where cables rub, good tires (when I switched to anything but Conti Top Tour tires I got flats constantly, only one in four years with them).

Many original Cannondale components inferior: stem broke at the bottom weld on a training ride the week before the Tahoe Century, Coda pedal came apart at mile 85 of another century and had to finish on one foot, had to upgrade wheels and spokes to put and end to constant spoke snapping, original saddle sucked, original bottom bracket creaky and grinding after only a year, just this week left crank began wobbling on BB shaft and has begun to round out (although this may have been a reassembly problem). I've almost given up trying to fix brake squeal and I do not like the V brakes at all .. too spongy and braking distance is very shaky.

This is my first bike so can't compare it to any other brands specifically. I bought it because I'm a big guy (260) and its touring design would hold me better. I commute to work on this bike, do buddy rides on weekends and have ridden an average of 6 centuries a year on this bike since I've had it and I'm guessing I've got about 10,000 miles on it by now.

[Aug 12, 2001]
Mike Januszewski

Strength:

Lots of mounting points. Stiff frame.

Plastic cable holders on top tube. Constant front brake squeal after numerous toe-in and other adjustments. Rims are just not good. Cheap no-name headset. Coda seat is a piece of junk. The stem - see below

I use this bike strictly as a work commuter, with over 5000 miles logged just doing that. It started out fine in its first year, but that brake squeal began right away. Then RSX began to show its worthlessness. But this year was the worst. The stem broke at the bottom of the weld between the extension and the quill while I was taking off from a red light. The jagged stem went into my right and left knees on my way down causing serious wounds. This was a Coda (original) stem. Now I know why they are called Crackendales. Bottom line: aluminum ain't steel. My next commuter is a Waterford for sure.

Schwinn Frontier, Schwinn CrissCross

[Jan 13, 1999]
Andrew

Strength:

I own a '95 T700, and although I can't comment on the '99 components, the frame is pretty well-made and has seen a lot of travel (and component upgrades) without noticeable wear and tear. I do everything on this bike: long-distance touring, centuries, commuting--it's great. This is definitely not a sport-touring bike. The frame geometry is very well-suited for loaded touring because of the looong wheelbase and relaxed angles, though you won't be winning any crits on it; no problems handling it with 30+ extra pounds at either low or high speeds. All the rack braze-ons and fender mounts that you could ask for. My only real criticism of the frame is the top tube is a bit on the short side; watch out if you have a long torso/short legs.
Aluminum frames have a reputation for being harsh, but IMO tire width and inflation pressure have a lot more to do with it than frame material. A bonus is that frame corrosion is less of an issue than with steel frames--this is particularly important if you ride in all conditions. Continental makes great touring tires--700x35 may seem fat, but they take 100 psi easily and really smooth the ride out. Plus they are unbelievably durable.
Finally--if you intend to do any long-distance unsupported touring, learn how to build a good set of wheels yourself and bring spare spokes. Not difficult (read Jobst Brandt's book _The Bicycle Wheel_), and you may save yourself a lot of grief.

[Apr 10, 1999]
Patrick
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Comfort; this bike has a beautiful feel and I can keep going for hours on it. The steering is nice and sedate, and the drivetrain (somewhat to my surprise given the mixing and matching done) was nicely integrated and shifts very snappily. I'm now a True Believer in the virtues of Conti Top Touring tyres; I rode a couple of hundred kms with some evil bits of glass embedded there without a problem, before realising what was happening, and they grip to anything.

The RSX shifters are not quite compatible with the shape of my hands, and the coda pedals took some getting used to - were I to do this again I'd get toe-clips fitted. I really don't see the point of having 52x11 as the top of the range, and under heavy load on nasty hills I have wished for something a little lower than 30x30.

A lot of fun, and a great bike for touring. It has a nice springy feel, but comfortable sedate steering. Good on sealed and unsealed roads.

[Aug 24, 1999]
R C
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Very comfortable ride. Steering is sedate unlike the overly responsive steering of road bikes. It's an excellent compromise between a road bike and a mountain bike. I did not want a hybrid. The triple offeres a good range of speeds but I can imagine wanting a smaller granny if I loaded the bike with paniers.

Shimano components suck. This is the first non-mountain bike I've owned and it's received a lot more mileage in a short period of time so I don't know if the comparison is fair. I've had to adjust the derailer numerous times. The V-brakes also have an annoying disc which I think is used to take out slack. My HKEK Gary Fisher does fine without this disc.

Great bike but could use some better components.

[Oct 23, 1999]
Rick Page
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Stable,plush ride.(loaded or unloaded) Paint job.

Tricky shifting until cables do their stretching thing.Needs a lower bulldog gear.

This is a good value. I thought about the headshok touring bike but didn't think the x-tra weight or price was worth it. I didn't like the shifters at first but now that the cables have seated I love them.

Giant,Ross,Fuji

[Mar 22, 2000]
David
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Solid frame and great gearing

Recommend upgrading brakes, rear derailler and tires

My fiancee and I put our T700's to a real test last summer. We cycled across Canada covering over 7,200km (in 66 days) with the assistance of a support truck (we carried approximately 20IBS of gear on the bikes). Both bikes performed very well over a wide range of terrain. Only minor adjustments to gears and brakes were required throughout the trip. At the end of the trip I had to replace the headset on my bike. The gearing was set-up well for the mountains in B.C., Northern Ontario and Maritimes. Surprisingly, we made it coast to coast without a flat tire, although I would opt for a 700 x 28c with a high pressure rating for lower rolling resistance. The XT V brakes provided superb stopping power in the mountains. Overall I give the bike a rating of 4, a great touring bike at a good price.

Tested the Trek 520

[Jan 26, 2000]
K
Please Select

Strength:

Conti tires, brakes, rims

Bottom bracket, headset

I have the 19" version. It has a steep seat tube
angle (75 deg?) and one of the shortest top tubes
around. This fit is good for me. This size has non-
traditional aesthetics (sloping top tube).

Ironically, I don't tour. I use this bike on road
and off road (light). It has a very comfortable
ride and easy handling. If you can't afford an
X bike, this may suit your needs.

The headset and bottom bracket have required
some maintenance because they make noise.
Everything else is very good.

Bianchi Volpe

[Apr 04, 2000]
Dave

Strength:

Good Components, Nice frame, Nice tires, Comfortable

The wedge for the stem was stripped but the part got recalled and they replaced it for free.

This bike is very nice. The good quality components give it a smooth ride. It comes with the Conti Top Touring 2000 kevlar-lined tires and I have never gotten a flat on them. I have talked to other people who have ridden across the US on them and never even gotten a flat. For the price this bike is definately worth it.

Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp mountain bike with a Marzocchi Z3 light