Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra 2002 Cruiser Bike

Bad Boy Ultra

Storm Boy   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2009]
Strength:

The frame on this bike is very stiff, giving a fast ride and accurate control. I bought it with an extra 26" off-road wheelset that just slots in to make this a capable MTB. The headshock has never bottomed out and gives just enough comfort and isolation.

The stock saddle, combined with the aggressive rear end, make for a hard ride. About to put on a Brooks Flyer. The bars are extra-wide and give me some fatigue on the road: bar-ends recommended.

A very strong, versatile bike that's fun to ride anywhere

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper, rigid MTBs
jiw71   Recreational Rider [Jun 02, 2009]
Strength:

see above + gearing (front chain ring 26-36-48)

components could be better for the price.

xl frame is a good, comfortable fit for me. (6-2, 200 lbs.)
front shock with lockout makes this a very versatile ride especially when interchanging the road wheels & tires to mtb wheels & tires. I have ridden +1000 miles on both the road and xc trails and still find the bike exciting to ride. I'm no "spring chicken" but this bike allows me to pedal with riders half my age whether on the road or trail.

Similar Products Used: eclipse C4 racer (ever hear of it?????)
Will   Commuter [Dec 14, 2007]
Strength:

The headshok is everything it is made out to be. Smooth, stictionless and accurate. The bike looks really cool.

The headshok loses air pressure and a minor amount of oil at -25C. Somewhat frustrating but I have a shock pump and I pump it back up with little ill effect other than a lack of rebound damping.

I cycle commute year round in Calgary, Alberta. For those of you unfamiliar with Calgary climate it ranges from hot and dry in the summer (30C) to very cold in the winter (-30C) with relatively little precipitation year round. The beauty of the BBU as a year round commuter is the ability to swap the 700 road wheels for 26" mountain bike wheels. When I purchased the bike I had mountain bike wheels built up on identical hubs to avoid brake rotor alignment issues. This allows me in the winter to swap effortlessly and quickly between a commuter oriented studded tire and the road wheels depending on the condition of the bike paths. As a result my studded tires don't get worn out riding on dry pavement and I get super fast commutes when the weather is good. In the summer I use the bike to commute with the road wheels and then put knobs on the mountain wheels to go riding in the mountains on the weekends. Good all-round bike and very fun to ride.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain Fusion
Kona Lava Dome
Rocky Mountain Experience
Anthony Ciavarella   Commuter [Aug 28, 2007]
Strength:

Things I like:
The clean looks - all the cables are routed inside the tube.
The ability to lock out the Headshock
The awesome stopping power from the Avid Juicy 3s
Effortless acceleration

The routing of the cables inside the tube means they bang about a bit and make a bit of a noise, not a deal breaker though. And that is it. Really awesome machine.

When I was looking for reviews on the BBU I was surprised to find that there was not many about. I have now purchased the Bad Boy 8 Ultra (the model with the Alfine internal hub at the rear) and I can say that it is one of the best purchases I have made to date. I have been riding a Specialized Rockhopper Pro with slicks for the last 6 or 7 years and it has been a great bike but it feels like a 4 wheel drive now when I ride it in comparison to the BBU. The Alfine hub gives just enough range for city riding and it has the look of a fixed wheel without the limitations (for the record, I think the fixed wheel fad in London in the moment is all form over function, it is like a fashion show on wheels and people are putting coolness over the ability to stop when you need to)

The bike feels very nimble and the 700 wheels are great. I looks quite understated so hopefully will not be a bike thief's first target, though the Krypronite New York Fahgettaboudit chain should provide a healthy obstacle in any case. I would recommend Cycleguard insurance for anyone in the UK, I have had to claim from them a couple of times in the last few years and they have been great.

Robin Cundall   Commuter [Dec 07, 2004]
Strength:

The super light weight and, therefore, the acceleration. The Hayes disc brakes. The gear shifting. The ability to change the bike into an (again, dare I say it?) awesome MTB. The fizik nisene saddle - again, looks amazing, it is a must see! The seat post with handy numbering at the rear of the post. I will have to stop as my luch hour has come to an end, but did I mention the acceleration?

Please!

Big words I know, but I don't shy away from using them when I say that I am in love with this bike. I had to wait some time for the 2005 BBU to be delivered after they discontinued the BBU 2004 model. It cannot have been as painful as the wait for someone's loved one to return from battle, but it must have been close? When I was first introduced to the bike I confess I was a little awestruck. It was love at first sight. It looked great on Cannondale's website, hence the pain of waiting, but nothing prepared me for how (dare I say it?) cool the matt black finish would look. When asked if I wanted to test-ride the beast, I could not wait to get on board and attempt to harness the power that is the acceleration of the BBU. However, I did know that I would be buying the bike at any cost, no matter what the consequences. I have mentioned the look of the bike a lot, but I have yet to metion the 'cool' look of the Hayes discs, the subtle lettering, the grips, the shifters. The list goes on and on as the look is quite literally amazing. As for the performance, I would not let anyone ride the bike that wasn't cycling at least 50 miles a week as, once they had been drawn in by the bike's looks, they wouldn't be able to fully appreciate the performance of this bike. The acceleration is unlike anything I could have imagined. I often take on and beat road bikes on the return journey. It is an honour to ride.

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar
Stefan   Commuter [Jul 23, 2003]
Strength:

The bent shape of the rear tubes have some very positive effect on rough road conditions. Front suspension lock (great for road climbs) , disk brakes

Due to the frame geometry It's hard to find mud guards that offer complete protection on the many rainy days I have to use this bike. The new Race Blades by SKS - which are specifically designed for 700-23c wheels - need major adjustment to fit to the MTB frame of the Bad Boy

I knew it was dangerous for me to visit my local Cannondale bike shop. I just wanted to check out what the market currently offers in the hybrid ride range and hd been at different bike shops before. But as I entered there, I almost immediately spotted this dark wonder. Being a passionate road racing cyclist for almost ten years now, I prefer 700c wheels, which the Bad Boy has to offer on an MTB frame. The matte black finish with dark gray tribal decals perfectly matches my taste of minimalism. The only bright items on this bike are the brake discs and levers and the XT rear derailleur. The 29/44 crank set in combination with the Deore 11-34 rear cogs covers all situations that I get into when using this bike during my courier work as well as during trips through the countryside. And as its possible to change the wheels to MTB size, I can even have some fun off-track in the woods. Overall, the BBU is a real hybrid capable of handling a broad range of riding conditions without compromising anything. Finally, the Bad Boy Ultra is definately an eye catcher. Compared to my other bikes, people check out this one the most.

janneman   Recreational Rider [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

The accelaration of the bike is nearly as good as a roadbike. The weight isn't bothering at all. Steering goes realy smooth.

You realy need a pare of barends, for more comfort during long roadsessions.

I didn't bought a Bad Boy Ultra 2002, but a F700 and along with it, a set of 28" racewheels with diskbrakes. This way i saved about $400,--. The bike rides lik a real cannondale. It's like you've always had one. The suspension of the bike is working good on pavement. When you're riding a lot of people look up to see what kind of bike goes by. That's a good feeling.