Bianchi Axis 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Axis

steve_e_f   Triathlete [Dec 13, 2003]
Strength:

Great all around bike. Not super-expensive, does it all quite well. Paint, seat, wheels are all great.

Need long stems for the tubes. Brakes really sucked in the beginning. I swapped new pads and re-adjusted and they work better now, but nothing close to mtb v-brakes

I come from a mt. biking background, and wanted a road/cross bike so that I could get some rides in without driving to a trail. I looked up high rated bikes on this webiste and this one came up at the top. So I looked in the classifieds, found one for a good price, and bought it. Bottom line, this bike is everything the reviewers said it would be. I LOVE it. I put some slicks on it right away and have used it for road riding on a mix of normal roads, and some pretty run-down roads. I love everything about the bike (except the brakes!). I love how it rides, I love that it wasn't expensive, I love the gearing wich is well suited to my moutain bike background than a straight road bike. I also love how it looks hanging on my wall rack at home. Has any bike ever had a cooler paint scheme? No.

Similar Products Used: none.
xander593   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

I completed a century earlier this year drawing on each of the Axis' benefits: speed to pace and pass the "roadies;" durability to handle muddy pock-marked forest roads; and a natural inclination for climbing tall hills (all 70 miles of them!). Few activites in life give one as much satisfaction as watching a road cyclist's face as you cimb past them up a steep wall riding a slightly odd-looking road frame with off-road tires...

The stock brakes (Shorty 6s) scream like you wouldn't believe! Great for warning tourists you're coming up on them, but not so great when going down an as yet peaceful and steep mountain trail. Fortunately, I have arms like an orangutan so leaning back while going down steep trails is not as much of a problem for me. Love the frame, unimpressed by the stock components...

LOVE this bike! I also own a MTB, but reserve it for only the most serious technical off-road rides. I can't imagine buying a road bike ever again. Why, when I can pace most road cyclists and then hang a left at the dirt trail to go over the mountain while they go around?

Similar Products Used: Many road and mountain bikes
Bill   Recreational Rider [Apr 15, 2003]
Strength:

Pretty paint job, comfy, do-anything machine, good mtb trainer, great climber.

Brakes are a bit weak, cranks a bit flexy.

If I had to choose one bike, it would have to be my Bianchi. This bike is great for road, fire road, and singletrack. It's light and climbs like a mofo. I weigh about 205 and have had no problems with the wheels, even with frequent curb hopping and rocky downhills.

Similar Products Used: none
phacharawut   Recreational Rider [Jan 31, 2003]
Strength:

I love the bike

Brakes reallllllllyyyyyyy suck !!!!!

I love the bike, but I hate the damn rear brake. It just does not work !!!I will buy another Axis in the next 2 years only if they equip the bike with a good brake or a disc brake. Avid shorty sucks !!!

Similar Products Used: trek 5500
phacharawut   Recreational Rider [Oct 12, 2002]
Strength:

Stable, comfortable, no jarring ride, great value, good components, great carbon fork, stiff and efficient under hard pedaling effort.

Less-than-perfect braking system

I love this bike. The geometry is very stable and predictable. It is fairly light and the gearing ratio is great for the climb. It is good for the road and paved trail. Shimano 535 wheelset is smooth and durable. However it brakes are not the best, I will replace them pretty soon. They are not very responsive.

Similar Products Used: none
shemminger   Road Racer [Oct 04, 2002]
Strength:

Price, frame weight and geometry, 105 shifters.

Cranks, pedals, wheels, derailleurs

Good solid cyclocross bike with some annoying component choices. Some of the original equipment is odd and just doesn't work out. The stock pedals don't work well, they either don't unclip or rattle when loosened; either switch to SPD or much better Time Alium. Shimano wheels seem cool, but since they have deep dish rims you need long valve tubes or valve extenders. Since nobody makes a tube for 30+mm tires with a long valve, the only choice is extenders. Worst problem for cyclocross racing is the cranks which are Sugino's with place for a triple ring. The chain drops to the inside of the derailleur and catchs on the crank. Much better after replacing cranks with Ritchey Pro cyclocross cranks. The front derailleur has to be a mountain bike top swing which is really meant for a triple. This means the adjustment is quite right for clearance on a double crank. Specialized has a different and probably better system for top cable routing using a pulley to switch cable direction.

Similar Products Used: Specialized M4. Test rides on Diamondback, Gunnar, Redline, Jamis, Fuji.
Joe King   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2002]
Strength:

Great value, all arounder, great gearing ratio, stiff frame, stable geometry, good saddle, great carbon fork(dampen vibration very well), great strong wheel set.

Weird stock pedals. It would be perfect with full XT drive train, but it is all right.

I bought this bike, initially thinking about using it as a spare bike. Now I use it more often than my old road bike(Fuji Team issue, ultegra kits.) Its geometry is very stable and great for long hilly ride. Gearing ratio is perfect. The bike weigh around 22-23 pounds, but it does not feel very sluggish at all. Honestly I tend to use it on the road more than going off road. Its paint job is excellent. Easton Ultralite tubing is strong and stiff enough. Its stock saddle is comfortable. The only thing that I changed is shifting from stock cassette to XT cassette. Stock pedals are weird !!! I have beaten several guys on more expensive bikes and I am proud of this mid-level bike.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Team Issue, ultegra kits
Chris Schiavone   Recreational Rider [Jul 26, 2002]
Strength:

Good components: race face, titec, sdg. Inexpensive but solid wheelset (105/MA3 combo on the 2001's

stock bars are to narrow for me, stem a bit short. The front shifting is odd (2x up or down depending on which gears to avoid cross over chain rub

Great all around rider. Quickish handling due to the shorter stem (could be 1cm longer). Comfy ride for a pretty stiff frame (52cm)

Similar Products Used: Just road bikes (Lemond, motebecane, schwinn) Demo of: Trek (to $$), Cannondale (to stiff + house parts, Torelli (poor value per $
jonah   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2002]
Strength:

versatility. If you could only have one bike...this could be it.

cranks, pedals, stem length,etc.

Being a lightweight and small rider, this bike is just stiff enough for road riding and light single tracking. The components are right on, except for the crankset/bb. Sugino makes good cranks/bb, but I think for the money Bianchi should have spec'ed the bike with stiffer and lighter crank/bb. like the 105 or race face or truvativ. The mtb's cassete provides the needed gearing for the mountains. For the bigger riders out there, beware of the wheelset. The stem that comes with it is too short for me. I wish the bike shop has some sort of replacement discount, but they don't, so I ended up buying a longer stem. I also swapped the koski pedals with Times. Bottom line is, the bike is indeed race ready (like Bianchi claims it to be). It's fast and pretty (the paint job is superb) .

Similar Products Used: redline (too harsh), Le mond( too low-spec'ed), Cannondale (too stiff)
chrisjohn02   Commuter [May 10, 2002]
Strength:

Light, great components for the money!

170 RF Cranks! Why not 175''''s?

It rocks. Seriously, much smoother than the Redline Conquest Pro I rode for a little while. There must be really something different about Easton Ultra Lite tubing. Not a quick handling bike, but extremely forgiving which I like, especially when riding with a courier bag into work. Does what I want it to do, which is get me to work, train on road for MTB and perhaps race the entire Arkansas cyclocross series this year.