Marin Mountain Bikes Mill Valley 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Mill Valley

7000 Series Full Double Butted Aluminum Edge top and down tubes • EVO 7000 Series Aluminum Rigid, 1 1/8Ó Fork • WTB Momentum Comp AL Threadless 1 1/8" Headset

Mark G   Commuter [Jan 04, 2011]

Great price-quality relation.

August   Commuter [Aug 21, 2006]
Strength:

Best bike for the money, light and quick. Amazingly stiff ride for an aluminum bike.

Front brakes tend to squeal and needs adjustment periodically. Checked by dealer a few times, still, problem persisted. No other problems.

The first review I posted was two years ago and here's the follow-up. The bike has held up well with all the punishments it has taken. I ride to work almost everyday (50 miles roundtrip) weather-permitting and I did the Seattle to Portland (200 miles-two day) ride with it.

The original tires were crappy; suffered a few flats with them; replaced them original tires with Continentals and placed better spoke/rim-protector lining and my rides have been flat-free.

The front brake tends to squeal and needed toe-in adjustments periodically.

Otherwise, rides have been most comfortable, a bit stiff but you'll get used to it. Shifting's been smooth and consistent.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1400 with Shimano 105 STI and brake calipers
Nigel Shires   Commuter [Jul 21, 2006]
Strength:

Light

poor quality componenets

Don't buy this bike and not from these people. After just over 1 year the bottom bracket has been replaced (not under guarantee), the quality of components seems to be very low for the price of the bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek Road Bikes
thbsloppy   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2006]
Strength:

Surprised at the lightness with a non carbon frame

Slower than kleins and Cannondales (but 200 - 3000 dollrs lass also. Click pedals beg for falling over at stop signs due to forgetting you are in the clips. (Flat or clickless would be better)

It's a pretty good bike. For 1 month after I get it overhauled yearly at R.E.I. it rides so smooth that I think I'm in a hovercraft. I always feel like I'm going raelly fast on the bike and it shifts really smooth. (I upgraded to the 105 shimano rear derailers). That is of course until I tried riding with some riding clubs that dusted me. I think that was my limitations, not the bikes. I ride about 16mph average with roling hills. If the geomety was closer to a rode bike, it would be faster, but it is more comfortable. Never going to win a race with this style bike, but 40 - 75 mile weekend rides are fun and better on your back on the ALP bikes. (Don't know why Marin doesn't concider them Hybrids). But overall fun bike. Faster with the $60 Michilan racing slick tires, but a t 150 - 200 miles per week, they only last about a month or so. The cheaper tires work well also.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Treck, Klein, Diamand back (MTB)
August   Recreational Rider [Jan 26, 2004]
Strength:

Well-built, solid feel. Smooth firm ride. Best bike for the money.

So far, none.

Light, quick and fast; firm but comfortable to ride. Upgraded rear derailleur with Shimano 105 but Tiagras are okay. Uphill climb is a breeze. Other road racers will be astonished with you tailing them with ease.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1400 with Ultegra 600 STI.
scott bailey   Commuter [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Aesthetically superior. Light. Fast as hell. No one wants to rise somethinf totally garish and covered with trashy adverts. I still haven't got it into top gear. There is noticeable shift when you peddle hard such that hills disappear and gears work brilliantly.

It scares me. Tires give racer style spine impact - suggest suspension seat post.

A beautiful bike that scares the hell out of me. And cost far too much. If it sells at $400 in the US, why the bloody hell does it cost £750 in the UK? - (i.e. $1,000)

Similar Products Used: lots of bikes tried in an afternoon - this was the best.
frankvg101   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

The bike looks good, and with a cro mo fork lent to me by the bike shop it handles like it one would expect - rims look great - hope they have enough spokes.

Aero-lite wheels / spokes. Unusual cross over spoke lacing on the rear wheel which bends the spokes. Aluminium front fork. Sora front chain rings / front derailier

The Marin Mill Valley was recommended to me by the bike shop as being suitable for the type of multi day supported riding I do. Unfortunately, thus far, the Marin has fallen far short of the mark - after breaking 4 spokes in 4 days the rear wheel was completly respoked by the ride mechanics [at my cost]. I had a tyre blow off the rim -inner tube was still OK ?? but the tyre could not be refitted ?? Had to purchase a new tyre. The front fork [aluminum] is really a poor choice for a "performance bike", the flex, even under moderate braking, is very disconcerting, and under more severe braking it would be considered danderous, however this is not even the worst characteristic, when travelling at speed [ie: windey down hill decent] the fork flexes lateraly to the extent of inducing noticeable understeer, not the sort of characteristic you appreciate when leaning into a corner at 40mph. Bike shop [and Marin?] are evaluating my comments [the spokes have since been replaced at N/C. but my costs are not claimable?? and I now believe that a replacement fork is being considered]. Wish I had bought Specialized -Carbon fibre / Cro.Mo fork - 105 drive train - Ritchey Pro Aero wheels.

Similar Products Used: Have since ridden Specialized sirrus Elite & pro, Giant Perrigrin - loaned to me by other riders on the Tassie ride
Patrick   Commuter [Apr 09, 2003]
Strength:

Looks! Finish! Comfort! Acceleration!

Lower end shimano Tiagra rear derailleur

Excellent Bike! Faster than my Bianchi Road Bike! A very comfortable riding position similar to a mountain bike with the speed and acceleration of a road bike! I highly recommend it for anyone!

Similar Products Used: Nothing close all competitors are closer to Mountain Bikes...This is not a mountain bike!
Dan   Commuter [Aug 07, 2002]
Strength:

Quick, light, stable.

Rip off Britain. That's £680 - about $900. It's over twice the price in the UK.

This bike makes climbing a breeze and delivers the thrill required downhill too. On the flat a good speed can be maintained and small inclines are hardly noticed. Flat handle bars make the riding position more upright which is good for the city, yet it's geared like a road bike which means you can tear up the country roads at the weekend.

Rich Stenquest   Recreational Rider [Aug 04, 2002]
Strength:

Very stable, very controllable, very comfortable.

None.

I looked for a bike for 3 months. I test rode Tek, Cannondale, Specialized, Schwinn, Lemond and Marin. To say the least the Marin Mill Valley is the best of all worlds - expecially if you demand handling

Similar Products Used: See above. I went to at least 10 diffent dealers and test drove many, many bikes before I settled on the Marin. I wanted to get the Tiburon but because of cost I went with the Mill Valley