Performance Forte SL-1 Road Bike 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Forte SL-1 Road Bike

Scott   Recreational Rider [Aug 24, 2007]
Strength:

Light, fast and cheap.

Alex wheels. I broke two spokes within the first month. The in-line derailuer adjustment doesn't work very well if at all.

For a generic this bike kicks butt. I replaced the Alex wheels with some Mavics and was very pleased.

Similar Products Used: My first road bike since my Schwinn Le Tour in the 80's
Adam Martin   Road Racer [Aug 06, 2003]
Strength:

The frame and carbon fork are light and responsive. The spokes are 14/15 butted to reduce rotational weight and produce a livelier ride.

Quality assurance is a little weak. My original purchase had a ding (crack) in the fork and had to be swapped out. I'm glad I noticed that before descending. The Forte brake's poor hardware (calipers, king-pin, etc)caused squeaks and visible flex/play. Why can't they use aluminum nipples?

I wanted a light affordable bike to replace my old '91 Specialized Epic Comp. The aluminum frame has some aero dynamic tubes. The brakes are the Performance house Forte brand, the wheels are Alex rims with Performance hubs. The drive train is Shimano 105. Pedals are Forte Classic with Look Red Cleats.

Similar Products Used: 1987 Specialized Sirrus 1991 Specialized Epic Comp
dek sayeh   Recreational Rider [Jul 26, 2003]
Strength:

pretty light, great value, decent wheels

i HATE the pedals, i always slip out of them

alex 400 rims, look pedals, pretty light, carbon fork

Similar Products Used: none
Jeff   Commuter [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

A lot of road bike for the money.

Rim tape will need to be replaced before riding, else you will be repalcing the tubes also. The non-threaded stem leaves little adjustment room...some riders may want a less agressive position. A mountian bike stem extender (1 1/8 inch) will provide the desired adjustment.

Aluminum frame with carbon fiber forks. Alex 400 rims with straight pull spokes. Performance "Forte" brake calipers, seat post and LOOK sylte pedals. Shimano 105 componets else where.

Similar Products Used: None, first road bike. Used my mountian bike for commuting before.
Catfishnribs   Recreational Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Great value. Aluminum frame & carbon fork w/ 105 components for under $800. Excellent bike for first time riders.

Rim tape may need replacing if the stock rubber tape on the rims isn't aligned properly.

This is my first road bike so I can't comment on the finer details. I was all prepared to drop $$$ on one of the more popular name brand bikes when I saw this deal and couldn't pass it up. So far I've been very pleased with this bike. The bike handles pretty well and is fairly light (19lbs) relative to my old mtn bike. The only downside so far is that the stock rubber tape around the rims either shifted or wasn't aligned properly so I ended up with blowouts on both tires the same week (fortunately this happened while the bike was at home). At least I'm pretty good at changing tires now! Other than the few bucks I spent on new tubes and rim tape, I'm more than happy with this bike. Aluminum frame w/ carbon fork and Shimano 105 components for $730 w/ free tool pack--too good a deal to pass up. Eventhough I ordered this bike online, you can bring it to your local Performance Bike store to have them assemble it for free. You also get lifetime adjustments as well. NOTE: At first they wanted to charge me for assembly but it does say specifically in the assembly instructions that you can have them do it for free. This bike comes with a double crank, but the mechanic I spoke with at my local Performance Bike store said that they will let you swap out parts if they carry those parts as stock parts (i.e. not the cheapy components, Shimano 105 and above). You just have to pay the price difference and installation costs. So it is possible to switch the stem or convert to a triple crank. But you have to request this when you have the bike assembled.

Luis   Recreational Rider [May 11, 2003]
Strength:

Price, as my 1st road bike I think it is a really good deal.

None so far.

Well this is my 1st venture, into a road bike. I considered how much to spend for a while. All bikes I looked at that were "entry level" were around $450-$600 range..and to me they all seemed to come with the lowest level components available. With the Forte I spent a little bit more, but I got a bike with Shimano 105 components, aluminum frame, good wheel set, and the service and warranty offered by Performance. The warranty and lifetime service was a sell for me since I'm active duty military and when I do have to transfer at least I can count on one of their stores being near me for the service. I will write more later.

Similar Products Used: None.