Trek XO 1 2002 Cyclocross Bike

XO 1

Ilya   Commuter [Mar 13, 2011]
Strength:

Dropped handlebars, superb wheels and tires

Can't officially mount a rack on it. I finagled it at my local bike shop where I bought it and though the Bontrager rack tilts a bit it works with my panniers.

I use this bike to commute. This is mostly roads but occassionally the roads have glass, broken asphalt, etc. The bike takes everything thrown at it with ease and even goes off on trails comfortably.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000 (in terms of it being my only other bike and being multi-functional)
jweisser   Recreational Rider [Nov 24, 2006]
Strength:

Quick and nimble, light, versitale. At 50+ years old, the geometry of the bike is compatible to my level of flexibility.

Great all-around bike, highly reccomended. Easily switch from 26cc tires for road rides to 32cc for trails, paths, etc. On a 425 mile Erie Canal group tour, many riders were interested in the frame geometry. Benefit of a road bike without the limitations of a touring frame or hybrid.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Zebrano
CDanRun   Triathlete [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Strong frame, can be fast with road tires and clip on Bars, Replaceable rear der. hangar. Great training Bike.

Sora components are heavy,Bontrager Seat gets uncomfortable after 40 Miles. Weak Matrix Aurora Rims (Have been Trued 3 times Front and Back)

Bought the Bike because I wanted something I could do Triathlons on and use to get around the city. Worked well for that purpose. Comfortable ride even though Bike Shop sized me wrong. Good frame, can take a beating. (Hit by car once, slid on a corner once, no damage to frame)Have put 3000 miles on it.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR
camgem   Recreational Rider [Mar 26, 2003]
Strength:

Very Strong, goes off road (within reason), rugged and well built. Have gotten many complements, this is a pretty bike.

Now that Ultegra has replaced the original STI, NONE!

Really nice bike. I have put a lot of miles on mine and really like it. I bought it to train for Mountain Biking and just fell in love with the XO/1. I also upgraded to Ultegra and have ridden as much as 50 miles at a time. Comfortable and efficient frame.

Similar Products Used: Very old Cielo with a Campy Gruppo
themis   Recreational Rider [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

Versatile!! Very practical! If your not a hard core road biker, I say it's the way to go. Lighter than my mountain bike, ride my surfaces than a road bike

Shifting can be smoother.

I wanted a road bike that I could train on and build up my endurance for mountain biking. I was looking to get a road bike but heard about there poor traction on crushed/limestone surfaces. I opted for a cyclocross for it's versatility: Swap out the tires and you can ride on just about any terrain. The bike is light and forgiving. I can ride more paths, depending on the tires, than a road bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper M2
Will   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2002]
Strength:

Versatility - Great commuter and with road tires becomes a great road bike

SORA - Heavy, but works well, plan to upgrade to Ultegra w/ Barcons

Love it. Used to ahve a carbon fiber Alan back in the mid-80's with a Cr-Mo fork and this is just as smooth and yet stiff. I got this on a deal from some that got sent back from Canada that were used in a Lance commercial so it has the double chainring and bar-con's which I love. Have had the STI and like them but enjoy the simplicity and precise shifting of the bar Con's/

Similar Products Used: You name the type of bike, I've had it and still have most of them.
Leta   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2002]
Strength:

Light, nimble and sure.

Shifting could be smoother.

I have had this bike for almost a year and love it. Before purchasing I checked out the reviews of the 2000 XO 1 and decided to give the 01 a try. Its an awesome commuter. Bike came factory spec'd, and I will eventually upgrade components. Very nimble and great on climbs.

Similar Products Used: none-first Cyclocross.
Steven   Recreational Rider [May 22, 2002]
Strength:

Nice frame, good ride and handling, good tires, looks smart.

Sora components keep the price down, but aren't as light and finished as 105, and I'd prefer STI shifters.

I've turned to the dark side after being a road rider my whole life. I wanted a nimble bike to take on well-maintained trails, and found the 2001 XO1 on clearance. Compared to a mountain bike, this bike is fast, light and nimble and a joy to ride. It handles well, grips the path firmly and the wishbone seatstays give just a bit of flex to soften the ride. Last year's model was an uncompromising traditional cross bike, with double chainrings, bar-end shifters and an aggressive, nimble feel. This year sports a triple to appeal to a wider audience.