Specialized Sirrus A1 Sport 2002 Hybrid Bike

Specialized Sirrus A1 Sport 2002 Hybrid Bike

[Aug 12, 2008]
jerrold frank

I love the Specialized Sirrus. Only drawback, I keep breaking the frame. I've had three in the past two years and keep snapping them where the top tube meets the down tube. I'm not riding them off road, I'm just a big strong guy. So far every time I break one Specialized sends me a new one gratis but it is a pain changing components every 4 to 6 months.

[Jul 28, 2008]
vef

Strength:

Very light and fast.

The seat has never been tight, Specialized masks that fact that the seatpost has teeth on it by putting some rubber over it (kind of funny really). My gears have never, ever worked properly, even after getting them replaced and cleaned, they've always squeaked and rattled.

First bike I've ever bought that wasn't from a garage sale, got me excited into cycling and opened up another world for me! Bought the bicycle in late July and rode until almost March through the cold Canadian winter in -25C weather before finally giving it a break, and it held up pretty good. I've replaced the chain twice and rear hub once and spent a few hours installing cyclocross tires, installing full fenders and cleaning those gears! A great commuter bike, but at this point, I need something better, and am about to experience another winter and close to turning this into a single speed to save myself hassle.

[May 11, 2006]
Myles

Strength:

Lightweight, fast, great ratios, great geometry

Those damn wheels! I've replaced the front following a collision with a car :-/
Rear has been re-spoked. Maybe it's the roads in Dublin - Used it in London no probs for a year!

This is a great bike and streets ahead of my previous Ridgeback Speed. The only issues I've had were with the wheels. They're not meant for anything other than smooth tarmac - espcially if you're tipping 95Kg like me...

Original groupset was a little soft and quickly wore out - though to be fair I do a lot of 'torquey' stop/start riding round the city

[Sep 08, 2004]
motorhommer

Strength:

Comfortable, reasonable value for money, after sales service

Wheels, spokes and hubs

Nice bicycle. Big problem with wheels, all spokes kept popping. Shop redit wheels which stopped this but had a lot of problems with truing of wheels. Changed wheels and hubs 6 months ago for slightly heavier set and everything is much better. Hubs and drive shaft went after 4,000 miles

Hybrid Specialized Sirrus Sport

[Jan 13, 2004]
Joe Wheeler

Strength:

Lightweight. The gears are very precise. The tires are very strong.

In the month I have had this bicycle there has been some squeaks and some noises which concern me a bit. I think my wheels may need a bit of truing as they seem to be rubbing my break pads a bit. This is all stuff that a trip to the repair shop would easily correct.

This bike is head and shoulders above my old ride which is a GT Palomar mountain bike, which I have had tons of problems keeping the gears from slipping. I decided I needed a road bike because I never went off road and I am mostly a commuter and recreation cyclist. This bike overall fits my needs. It is fast, it is a cross bike with an up right riding position it is lightweight and very easy to ride.

[Jun 28, 2003]
patrick reardon

Strength:

clean, efficient design, light weight, stiff ride, precise handling, excellent gear ratios. easy to stand up on hills, a big plus.

it is lousy off road or on rocky dirt roads. this is mainly due to the stiff suspension and hybrid style tires which are standard.

i love this bike. at $479 it's a fantastic value. it's light and fast with a much cleaner and more efficient design than other bikes i looked at, for example the treks. i hardly ever have to think about it while riding; it's well-suited to my riding style and simply feels like an extension of my body, a compliment i've never paid to other bikes.

this is my first hybrid, other bikes used were road bikes.

[Feb 14, 2003]
trao

Strength:

Lovely ride, extremely light and comfortable.

Both Sirrus bikes I've owned had identical problems with the back wheel. It appears to be very weak and after a few visits back to the bike shop, the shop eventually admitted that Specialized was having problems with this back wheel. Essentially I needed all the spokes replaced. This problem might be more acute in Ireland due to the bad road conditions. Not 100% happy with the gears, they slip too easily in some scenarios and can be noisy. Easily fixed but can be annoying when it keeps happening.

This is my second Sirrus bicycle within the space of 12 months (unfortunatly my first Sirrus was stolen!). I think its a very comfortable bike, nice and light which makes it easier for me as a commuter to haul my gym/work gear into the city every day circa 25km daily round trip. My main complaint would be some build quality issues and Irish road usage. Irish roads can be quite bad for cyclists, and the back wheel seems very weak for "tough terrain". If you have nice smooth roads, you're on a winner.

Specialized Sirrus A1

[Aug 09, 2002]
greg360

Strength:

Light, fast, strong. It's rare to have these three qualities in the same bike, but Specialized did it, and did it well.

You cannot adjust the handlebar height, doing so requires replacement of the OEM stem with an aftermarket part. That is a real dissapointment and the only squawk I have so far...

I think that satisfaction with any product has as much to do with knowing what you want it for, as the performance of the product itself. That said, I am very happy with my Sirrus A1 Sport. I wanted a capable and comfortable hybrid bike with the effeciency and speed of a road bike, but the heads up position of a mountain machine. The Sirrus is really not a mountain bike and is most definitely a better quality road bike - perfect for riding "heads up" in the city so you can see and be seen, and well suited for a fast paced 20+ mile spin out on the backroads after getting home from work. I also use my Sirrus for Sprint Class triathlons (had to add clipless pedals) and it performs 99% as well as the dedicated road warriors. It is a pleasure to ride when running local errands and quite competent for day long touring; I would not hesitate to take it on the Seattle-to-Portland (STP) ride, competing at the enthusiast (but not hard-core) level.

It came down to a choice between the Sirrus and Trek 7500FX. Both are excellent machines. The FX is suited for road and trail, the Sirrus is suited for the road only. The Trek comes with a stouter but

[Aug 09, 2002]
Greg

[Aug 05, 2002]
Shearman

Strength:

Simplicity, strength and lightness

lets see how strong those gear shifts are.

I have had my eye on the sirrus ange for about a year now. I have a Basso Choral road bike and have always been a bit of a road-bike snob. However London roads have been taking their toll on my precious steed and it was time to get a bike that I would use everyday. I am freelance so my commute varies from month to month - usually max 14 miles a day. The Sirrus A1 is the bottom of the range but is no less of a great bike. I found it stiff, the gear ratio was fantastic and the mid-range torque just right. I'm really looking forward to getting to know the bike better.

Ridgeback