Specialized Sirrus A1 2002 Hybrid Bike

Sirrus A1

John   Recreational Rider [Mar 30, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth, fast, responsive, shifts well (esp considering it's a triple) brakes well

Ended up changing out flat bars for drops. I really use the bike as a road bike with some light commuting. Also I feel like for $1350 the components could have been at least one grade better.

2009 Specialized Sirrus Elite. This was my first bike since I was a kid. I ended up swapping out the flat bars for drops which increased my average speed quite a bit. I have been very happy with the bike and have not experienced any issues with it. It now has about 600 miles on it. The shifts are good, the brakes are grippy (sometimes noisy but that's 'cause I'm 230 lbs) and the wheels have stayed true. I'm truly surprised how smooth it is, no doubt the carbon fiber fork and seat stays help as do the zertz inserts. All in all a great bike that I would recommend to any casual cyclist.

Similar Products Used: Closest thing would be a Mongoose dual suspension mountain bike.
  Commuter [Oct 10, 2003]
Strength:

Relatively inexpensive, tires slightly wider then road tires so potholes are smoother, fast, upright positioning gives you easier viewing through traffic, white frame is good for night riding, comfort seat and grips.

Slight vibration because of the aluminum frame, components require a second of holding your thumb down for a smooth gear shift.

I really love this bike. I bought it to commute to work with and it's just perfect for that. It's comfortable and light enough to really notice the speed difference from a standard mountain bike. Mine weighs about 24 pounds with a seat pouch, water cage, clipless pedals and bell.

Similar Products Used: GIANT hard tail mountain bike with slicks.
max_man   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

Great shifting, great brakes, nice riding position.

As close as this bike is to a road bike, the suspension seat post is mostly an annoyance. I haven't gotten around to trading it out. The tires seem a bit susceptible to flats, but they are thin tires. Maybe I should try better tubes.

Best bike I've bought so far as an adult, however also the most money I've spend on one. Very satisfied. I have a cheaper bike I use for commuting. I use this bike for long, fun and maybe fast weekend rides. After riding hybrids that are 200 dollars cheaper with wider tires and heavier frames this bike seems to fly. Of course, I have to admit, I'm also not loading it down with my commuter panniers. I take it out for a ride 2 or 3 weekends a month. I ride between 40 and 60 miles. I weigh 220 lbs. I love the shifting. Haven't had a problem with it at all as on past bikes. Brakes are great. Well defined contact and none of the sponginess I've felt in the brakes of other bikes. Really no problems so far. I can't comment on the tire problems others have mentioned. I crashed the bike a few months after I got it. I went up a driveway cut to exit the street at the wrong angle without out recognizing the limitations of the smaller tires. I was probably going between 15-20 mph and I went over the front handle bars. I ended up bending the rear wheel. My LBS graciously fixed it for free under warranty. There was no damage to the cassete. The rear wheel is definitely not the same as before, but it works fine. I don't see any performance issues at my level of riding. I can easily cruise at 18-20 mph on flat ground. This one's a keeper. I've been riding bikes as an adult for 2 years now. As I begin to appreciate a good road bike more, this will probably become my commuter bike in the future and I will buy a true road bike. My current commuter bike will be relagated to winter snow riding or it might be traded in for a mtn bike.

Similar Products Used: I can't remember the model number, but I test rode one of Trek's hybrids in the same price range with the more roadlike tires, lighter frame setup etc.
jacobxray   Commuter [Apr 25, 2003]
Strength:

price. nice smooth ride. not too wallowy as suspension smooths out the pot holes, but it doesn't handle like a boat.

that back wheel doesn't seam to be an isolated problem. changed mine for something else when it broke.

this was my first bike in about 5 years. i love it. gears seamed slightly out of line to start with but rode in. same problem as a few people with rear wheel. buckled after 4 months. but still can't complain, i give it a lot of stick everyday. you might not look the part but i am happy enough taking out for pretty long rides. after riding mountain bikes on the road for a few years, it was a relief to ride a bike designed for the job in hand. might get a road bike if i continue to enjoy cycling, but would always keep this for commuting.

Similar Products Used: none
turp   Recreational Rider [Oct 20, 2002]
Strength:

The frame geometry. The Cool Silver and black colors.The grips. The components work and shift well considering the price.Price.

Needs a 52 tooth chain ring.

This bike seems to be more of a road bike that a hybrid. I like the riding position and handling of the flat bar road bikes. I tried true road bikes, they just didn't click with me. I ride in the city and the upright position is better for vision and the wide bar give me great control. The Sirrus has excellent geometry and I love the way this bike rides and handles. I ride about 30-50 miles a week. I also tried the Trek 7500fx(nice), 7700fx(nice), and the Cannondale Silk Adv. 400(great frame, terrible comp.) The Sirrus fit me better and the price & frame make it worth up grading components.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7500fx(nice), 7700fx(nice), and the Cannondale Silk Adv. 400(great frame & fork, smooth ride, terrible components.)
Robin   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2002]
Strength:

Nimble, quality, pretty and light. Shifting is decent.

Not sure yet. Seems my front wheel is out of true after 150 miles. But I think that is to be expected. Flat bar doesn't offer lot of hand options so you MUST add bar ends.

I like it. So much so that I couldn't longer to write a review. I hope I'm as happy with the bike six months to a year from now. I seriously debated getting this or the sport version. For the money, you definitely get more bang for your buck. I ride with folks who have "real road bikes with dropped handlebars" that cost a lot more. Sometimes they have trouble keeping up with me. I average 50 miles weekly on it.

paulgrevans   Recreational Rider [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Grest riding position for traffic, comfortable

Back wheel problems

I have enjoyed this bike which I bought as an entry level machine for commuting and some longer weekend rides. I am already planning a roadbike purchase and this will become a pure commuting bike. Like one other reviewer the back wheel went after 2 months (irretrievable buckle) and needed replacement (under warranty) and upgrading. Only blemish thus far.

Similar Products Used: None
Jana Lingo   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2002]
Strength:

Versatile frame, good ride and handling, well thought ( for the most part) componets

Rear wheel build quality!

This is an excellent quality bike for about 500 Dollars. The only gripes I have are that comes with a Marquis De Sade Edioton saddle (easily fixed) and on mine , at least, a very poor build quality on the rear wheel. I've bromen four spokes. My LBS has relaced the wheel, the wheel so we'll see if holds.I bought this a commuter and something to go on slower paced road and rail trail rides.The frame is set as almost a touring style frame (rack and third water bottle eyelets), so you could use this as a touring bike as well This would be a very good for some getting into cycling, provided my wheel problems are isolated and not endemic