Burley Design Cooperative Django 2002 Recumbent Bike

Django

Jim D   Commuter [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

Pivoting tiller allows the tiller to lay flat againg the frame for good loading. With the front seat scewer and front wheel removed, the seat will recline and the bike will fit into my compact truck/w topper.

On the standard length frame the seat track is too long and it is almost impossible to remove the seat without removing the rear scewer, the track could be about 2 inches shorter unless your legs are only 18 inches long! The seat slips back on the track and I have drilled two holes in the track and insert hairpin clips at the point where I like the seat positioned. I have also removed the two safety screws at the seat track end to allow the seat to come off the rear of the track instead of the front due to the too long seat track problem. (This is important if you load the bikes for transport.)

The fit, finish and overall quality if first rate. The seat is very comfortable and I like adjustable tiller. Most of our rides are commuting and bike trail rides of 20-50 miles.

Similar Products Used: Bike E CT, AT.
richard otoupalik   Recreational Rider [Apr 06, 2002]
Strength:

Beautifil finish, great looks, fast and comfordable.

Could have better component selection, but not bad for the price.

I''ve ben averaging about 15-25 miles a day on this very fast little beauty. No sore butt, no numb palms, I could do a century tomorrow. 30 miles on my specialized epic was about all my back would take, I feel like I''ve discovered cycling all over again. This is the best ride i''ve ever owned.

Similar Products Used: SC 1 Light, Rans Tailwind and Rocket, Cannondale Easy Rider, Bike E
Pete Ferron   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2002]
Strength:

Adjustability Ride comfort Low speed stability

Some nearly no-name componentry (easily upgraded) No way to lock the frame to stationary objects at destination

This is my first recumbent. It''s very comfortable, and easy to adjust to fit. It is also stable at all speeds, and is especially stable at low speeds--more so than the RANS V-Rex, which I test rode extensively. I found the design to be very innovative and attractive. The frame is essentially a single large diameter thin-walled tube, with a rear "fork" for the rear wheel. It has a slight natural "give" that makes it comfortable over minor road imperfections. One caution--if you like to lock your bike at your destination, be advised that there are no "holes" in the frame through which to pass a chain or cable--a direct consequence of the single-pipe frame design that I find so appealing. The Django has fairly low-grade components, except for the crank and bottom bracket. I''m upgrading the brakes (to Arch Rivals) and wheels (undecided). I will live with the 8-speed rear cassette for now until they show wear, then will step up to Shimano Mega-9 XTR. The flip-up steering pipe, which allows easy entry, led to a problem I had with shifting. Turned out that the rear derailleur cable and housing was about 3-4 inches too short, and flipping up the handlebars caused the cable end to unseat, spoiling the shift cable adjustment. Once I figured out what was happening, it was easily avoided by not flipping the bar too far. Will do so until I get a longer cable. I had a bad crash on the bike (my fault, not the bike''s) about a month after I got it--broke my tibia and fibula just above the ankle. The Django was completely unharmed. About 3 months later I still had yet to put 300 miles on it, but am back up and riding. [Warning: Do NOT put your foot down to keep a recumbent bike (of any make) from falling over in a crash. Keep your feet up and ride the bike down.]