Airborne Valkyrie 2002 Road Bike

Airborne Valkyrie 2002 Road Bike

Airborne Valkyrie Road Bike

[Apr 28, 2003]
fullcampy

Strength:

Flawless welding, nothing dinged or scratched.

None that I'm aware of at this time

Wanted to let you know how pleased we are with the Airborne 2003 Valkyrie frames obtained by, and built up for us, by Giotto Sports in Northbrook. They are an Airborne vendor listed on your website. Their workmanship was impeccable; your frames looked great, no scratches; everything we specified came as promised, on time, and ready to go. Delivered in person by Giotto Sports(they are nearby to us), they also provided us with a Fit session in addition to a concise explanation of how the new equipment operated. I would strongly recommend Giotto Sports to anyone in the market for your frames. They are extremely knowledgable.Feel free to have any potential customers of Giotto Sports contact me if they are interested in a reference. I would be happy to tell them how pleased we were with the service of both them and of Airborne. Airborne was also particularly helpful. Their customer service was outstanding. We couldn't be more pleased with the entire process.

Windsor Profesional (Mexican Cinelli) circa 1974 and still riding..Full Campy Record, Columbus double butted tubing; Peugot PX10E, circa 1977 and still riding; Reynolds 531 double butted tubing;52=31

[Jan 13, 2003]
BikingPilot

Strength:

Flexible in the right direction and lightweight

Can't think of any.

This bike is every thing I wanted for riding lots of miles. It was lightweight and flexible in the right direction. I purchsed it at the end of May and have rode it for 3000 miles. Three of the rides were my first three centuries and I could not imagine riding any non-titanium bike for that distance. I was concerned about the fit before purchasing it because I was not able to size it at a bike shop. I found I had made the right choice in size and stem. I needed no tune up on the bike when I received it. Everything was set up right.

Schwinn World and Cannondale Silk Tour

[Dec 27, 2002]
motherf88cker

Strength:

unbreakable, comfortable, a really nice colour, doesn't have 'US Postal Service' written on it

costs more than a steel frame, doesn't look as expensive as USPS carbon

excellent. light, stiff enough for a 54cm frame...taller riders might whinge but...very comfortable...not as light as top aluminum or carbon but is it as crashproof? this is a bulletproof mother**cker...wouldn't swap it for a Trek at a half pound lighter because you can't break it.

various steel frames, including lovely Columbus Genius, aluminium boneshakers

[Jun 28, 2002]
comedy-tragedy

Strength:

Light, stiff, VERY comfortable, looks great (especially after I had it powder coated).

None that I can find

I wasn't really planning on buying a new bike, but I also had the feeling that my old frame was holding me back a little, so when I found out about Airborne I just couldn't pass it up. There's always some concern when buying "sight unseen," but the guarantee took care of that for me. Long story short, I love this bike. Everything you read about Ti and Airborne frames is true. Light, plenty stiff (I'm 5'10" and about 180 lbs.), soak up the vibrations, very quick and responsive. I'm not real strong, but when I stomp on this thing I feel like I've been shot out of a cannon. I did the MS 150 here in Utah last weekend and in the past my lower back was just killing me by the second hour of the second day. This year, nothing at all until the last hour, and then it was no big deal at all. That's nothing but a better frame, including fit and material. If you're looking for a Ti frame you'll never go wrong with Airborne. And if money is a big concern, (well duh), you can't go wrong with a Valkyrie. I'm sure one of the reasons there are more Valkyrie reviews this year is that because of the recent price increases they are selling more of them than in the past. If you're a full-on racer a Zep is probably a better choice for you, but if you're like me, an old guy who just loves riding a bike, spend the extra 200.00 on upgraded components and enjoy a fantastic ride at a great price. I know there is a hi zoot factor to Ti and the unpainted look, but I need a little more color in my life than that, so I had mine power coated. For those who might be interested, there is no problem with powercoating Ti at all. The coater just does the typical prep work and it sticks great. Jeremy was great about sending me electronic copies of the decals so that I could modify the colors and make my own to match the color scheme on the bike. One other thing. I had a problem with the rear deralliure and tweaked the hanger a bit. No problem. My LBS just bent it back and on the way I went. There's something very comforting abut knowing that it's not going to snap in a crash.

Re-built Raleigh touring frame w/aluminum top and down tube.

[Jun 27, 2002]
Mike

Strength:

Weight, comfort, price. It's titanium Dude !!!

The only weakness is the seat post drink holder. Because of the sloping top tube you can't carry a big bottle in the back cage and it's tight with a smaller one. This is really not a problem because you only use the rear to swap out w/ the front when it is empty. This could be solved by lowering the cage holder on the rear.

Great bike ! I've been riding a 96 A1 Sportspecialized all Aluminium frame and fork. I'm too light for Aluminium this bike beat me to death. I didn't think I could afford Titanium until I found Airborne. Buy this bike you will not regret it. I ride about 100 mi or more per week. My primary concern was comfort and I've found it. I was also looking for a lifetime purchase and with Titantium I've got it. I had been looking at the Giant OCR bikes, Cannondale, Fuji, and Lemond. I actually bought mine from a dealer but the fit kit is great. This bike is just what I was looking for. How many bikes do you get to choose your components and still get it in 1 week. Airborne will change the way bikes are sold and ordered. Kudos to Airborne. Don't be concerned about purchasing this bike my order all though it's easier and just as cheap to get it from a dealer.

[Jun 19, 2002]
Amarok

Strength:

Light, comfortable ride/frame. Nice, understated satin Ti finish. Value for money 'Classic' frame geometry.

None so far

My primary riding is daily commute to work, plus longer weekend runs and Audax (Randonee) rides. I'm not a racer. I got a great deal on the frame and Look fork from sdeals.com here in the UK, and built it up myself. The frame is really nice, pictures don't do justice to the clean finish and welds. I prefer the 'classic' look of plain tubing to the shaped tubes of (say) the Zeppelin. I've now ridden about 1000 miles on it, and the bike has been really comfortable and enjoyable to ride. I've done 150K, 200K and 100K Audax rides (including 200K and 100K on back-to-back days) and been completely comfortable - it really does seem to soak up road vibration (I was sceptical). My climbing has improved no end due to the combination of lighter bike (about 3 lbs lighter than the old one !!) and triple chainset. To sum up, superb value frame, very well built, good-looking, comfortable yet responsive. I look forward to riding this bike for many years to come.

Raleigh 531C steel road bike with Shimano 600.

[Apr 23, 2002]
brettkeating

Strength:

- Lightweight - Nice geometry - Great component selection and customizability - Great fit from Airborne self-fitting procedure - Great customer service and quality product - Fast and comfortable

- More expensive than aluminum and some nice steel bikes, but I think it''s worth it... you might too.

I have been a mountain biker for about 15 years, and this is my first road bike. I went with Airborne for a great many reasons. The summary, however, is that I knew the importance of having a quality bike and the importance of having it last, and that the money is not usually wasted on more expensive frames, but I couldn''t reasonably expect to spend more than I did on my first road bike given that I do not race or compete. Airborne allowed me to buy a fantastic bike for the money, only slightly more than what I would have paid for a similarly equipped high-end aluminum Trek bike. The most important factors for me were the maximum speed at the maximum comfort. Although the Valkyrie is less expensive than the Zeppelin, I preferred the Valkyrie geometry as it is more traditional and less aggressive. No matter what material you make the frame out of, if the frame is designed for a racer it will be less relaxed and comfortable on commutes and long rides. I liked the trade-off of using the Valkyrie frame, which has a more forgiving geometry, and adding components that were light and aerodynamic... and also added comfort in many cases (i.e. the Ouzo Pro fork is sooo sweet). I tried riding Campy components on other bikes, but preferred the Shimano. It was more comfortable for me, perhaps it could be because I ride Shimano on my mountain bike (even though they are totally different components!). So far I am very happy with them, and they came perfectly tuned out of the box. I haven''t had to make any adjustments and the shifts are all perfect and smooth. The only adjustment I had to make out of the box was recentering of the front brakes. The bike is very lightweight, quite comparable to most light aluminum or high-quality steel bikes. Mine is slightly heavier than some because I added a computer, lights, a pump and an aerobar... but people are still very impressed when they lift it. I weigh 200 pounds and it supports my weight fine. I feel like I can accelerate very fast without this feeling of loss of energy some talk about with titanium bikes. I test rode other bikes such as Trek OCLV and Bianchi etc. of similar quality components, and although the OCLV might be a bit better frame it was too expensive and I was nervous about carbon... I didn''t think it could outlast titanium. Fact is I love this bike. It''s like driving a Porsche.

Trek OCLV, Bianchi, Battaglin, Cannondale, Trek Aluminum, Lightspeed

[Apr 05, 2002]
mmcirvin

Strength:

Cost-effective luxury. Lots of Bang-for-the-buck. You can''t go wrong with Airborne customer service...Lifetime warranty, crash replacement policy, free stem exchange.

If you don''t know how to fit a bike, sizing could be a bit problematic without personalized, professional help. Airborne doesn''t offer a larger than 60cm size for the Valkyrie. Larger riders will need to buy the more expensive Zepplin.

This bike is perfect for the experienced rider who struggles with the cost/need ratio. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to afford $3000-5000+ for the bike of their dreams. Then the "significant other" gives "the look" asking, "you want to spend how much for what?!?" Airborne has hit a great balance. This bike makes you feel like you are riding pro level equipment for half the price. There is really nothing like riding Titanium. The frame is stiff like alum, supple like steel, and absorbes road buzz like carbon fiber. No paint to scratch and no corrosion to worry about. The cost of this bike is still less than the cheapest Litespeed ti - the Arenberg. And there is no flex in the frame as has been reported with the Litespeed.

Trek 5200, Cannondale R500, other steel bikes I''m too embarrassed to mention.

[Mar 19, 2002]
zeke

Strength:

Lightweight, 8.8kilos (about 19.4 lbs.) with pedals. Attractive, I have recd many compliments on the look of the bike. Ultra-smooth shifting, superior braking. Comfortable ride, road buzz is minimum.

Barrel adjuster for rear derailleur seems to loosen fairly quickly.

Well worth the money compared to other Ti prices considering the grouppo. Fast, light, attractive. Expect it to last a long time.