Bianchi Campione 2002 Road Bike

Campione

DM.Aelis   Road Racer [Nov 17, 2007]
Strength:

Stiffness. Comfort. Geo, which makes cornering and everything so pleasant. Looks. Classic Italian hand-made wonder. Oh. It's beautiful.

Weight. That is it.

This was my first road bike, as I wanted to get into racing without breaking the bank. I was wary at first...old steel frame, blah blah blah, is it even race-worthy?

Pffft. It is. Don't let the gimmicks fool you. While this is certainly a heavy frame, it is stiff, great looking in solid-celeste, and the perfect frame for training/racing on a budget. The geo is super comfortable, the frame soaks up the road like no other, and I can't tell you how much of a pleasure it is to ride.

I lucked out with a great bike that does everything I need it to. When the time comes to upgrade, I'll stick with Bianchi and move to one of their more modern lighter frames (FC, FG Lite, or 928L) most likely. But for the time being, this bike is treating me well.

Right now I just need to work on the engine. I'm giving 4/5 overall, just because newer frames could offer this and more with lighter weight.

Similar Products Used: none
spectre   Commuter [May 28, 2004]
Strength:

Awesome frame! Mirage Ergo shifters and Veloce brakes are as good as their bigger brothers. I slowly upgraded all of the (relativley) weaker components mentioned below.

Wheelset is OK for a backup set, but I upgraded to Chorus hubs and Mavic Open Pros. Campy Mirage group is reliable and performs well, but I am very picky about crisp shifting, so I upgraded the derailleurs and cassette to Chorus. The bike is a bit heavy, so I swapped the seatpost and fork for carbon fiber. Now the bike weighs an acceptable 21 lbs. Headset is not strong enough for comuting over rough roads. I cracked the fork crown race after < 1000 mi. Bianchi offered to replace it, but I opted to replace it with the best--Chris King.

I primarily bought this bike for the traditional geometry and its hand-made Italian steel frame. I compared tons of bikes at the $1000 level, and this one had the best ride by far.

Similar Products Used: My first real road bike. Tested a myriad of others including Specialized Allez, LeMonds, Giant OCRs, Trek 1000 series, etc.
Pseudo Racer   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2003]
Strength:

Looks! - It's gorgeous in traditional Celeste! Road feel combined with responsiveness. Bianchi has come up with a perfect balance, at a bargain price! The traditional geometry is perfect for anything, from road racing, to commuting to centuries. High quality frame as used on Bianchi's higher level bikes - Well worth upgrading. This bike just seems to exude tradition & character.

True, it's not the lightest mount out there, and never could be, but that's not the reason I wanted this bike! Although the Mirage/Veloce componentry probably actually works "better" than my old Nuovo Record, it doesn't feel quite as solid or "slick" as my old Nouvo Record stuff.

Heritage & Tradition - True Italian character combined with modern functionality. This bike was my re-entry bike into road cycling after a 10 year hiatus. I wanted to replace the early '80's Bianchi Nuovo Racer, with Campy Nuovo Record grouppo, that was stolen. It had to be Bianchi, steel, Celeste, Campy, and as all-Italian as possible, but on a budget... The Campione is near-perfect. It performs in it's intended role like the Champion it is! I especially love the fluid & responsive "feel of steel" - including the absorbant quality of the steel fork. I feel like I could put a million miles on this bike; I hope I can last as long as the bike and Campagnolo parts!

Similar Products Used: 1980 Bianchi Nouvo Racer with full Campy Nouvo Record grouppo. Similar vintage Paramount with Dura Ace (borrowed from a friend for a summer). Several late '80's / early '90's Cannondale road bikes.
Avi Loewenstein   Road Racer [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth ride, Italian steel, campy parts, can't get any better for the price.

Terrible stock saddle (I bought a new Koobi PRS saddle), takes some breaking in, but that is expected.

Overall, this bike is an absolute great buy. For under $1000, there arn't many great bikes (and NONE American), but this is an exception. The ride is smooth and the steel does a good job absorbing some of the bumps in the road. The look 206 pedals are top of the line.

Brandon   Road Racer [May 02, 2003]

I like the bike overall, but have some gripes with it. I have long legs and a short torso, so I had to get a shorter stem with a bit of a rise. More importantly, I've had some mechanical issues with it - the original nut and bolt that held the seatpost had to be replaced because it didn't hold, and the chain snapped after less than a thousand road miles. The campy has been nice other than that. My biggest problem has been with the headset wobbling, I've taken it to two bike shops who haven't been able to get a permanent fix, I think it will have to be replaced. When I ride, I have to hand - tighten it every few miles!

BricLC   Recreational Rider [Mar 18, 2003]
Strength:

Steel frame for good price, sweet campy components

Saddle kinda sucks, mine came with crappy pedals, but what can you expect for the price

Overall, i could not be happier with the bike especially for the price i paid. It rides smoothe as hell. This is my first road bike and i feel completely stable on it.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi veloce triple, Cannondale R600
jtkirk15   Road Racer [Aug 05, 2002]
Strength:

Comfort and value.

As I like to say, it isn't what it isn't. No weaknesses (well the CXP21's had to go!)

My first road bike has not disappointed me. I am pleased with the ride quality and the raciness of the bike. I don't believe that in this price range you can find a bike with a better compliment of ride quality and race worthiness.

Similar Products Used: None
Tom   Recreational Rider [Jul 05, 2002]
Strength:

Italian steel with 100% Campy for just a hair over $1000.00-- what's not to like?

None worth mentioning. At this price, one can't expect professional team-issue!

The Campione is a great bicycle. It's not for those enamored of light weight and high-tech, but those who appreciate classic Italian steel will love it.

Similar Products Used: Giant Allegre
beastiegroove   Recreational Rider [Jun 15, 2002]
Strength:

shifting smoother than Ultegra tested on LeMond Buenas Aires, good all day rider, value. Offered in double chainring.

None so far.

Very rider friendly bike. Very comfortable classic riding geometry/position. Rear triangle tightens up nicely when sprinting, Campagnolo shifting is crazy smooth, stock Celeste Selle Italia saddle has broken in nicely after 100 miles. Handles great in any turn, faster the better.

Similar Products Used: 1995 Raleigh R40, EPX road bike tested, LeMond Buenas Aires tested
Todd   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2002]
Strength:

ride quality, looks, value, Campy components

not available in a triple, steel fork (not to the liking of the weight conscious)

This is for the 2001 model. There are entries for the 1999, 2000, and 2002 Campione, so I figured I should post it here. I was originally looking at the Lemond Alpe D'Huez and Buenos Aires, but came across a good deal on this 2001 Bianchi Campione. Coming from a stiff 1986 Cannondale, I can't believe how comfortable the ride of this bike is. The shifting and braking of the Veloce/Mirage group is excellent. The Mavic wheels with Campy Mirage hubs feel very sturdy and true. I'm not particularly worried about the weight of the bike so the strength and comfort are great. Glad to see the 2002 model kept the beautiful red as a secondary color at least (2001 is all red). I found myself riding less because of the jarring from my old C'dale, I won't have that excuse anymore. I'd recommend this bike even at the $1100 retail price.