Bianchi XL Boron Centaur 2002 Road Bike

Bianchi XL Boron Centaur 2002 Road Bike

[Feb 22, 2010]
farleyandy

Strength:

Steel frame

stock componets are not the best

Simply sweet!!

cannondale r1000, trek madone, cannondale six 1

[Oct 27, 2003]
budrichard

Strength:

Fast, stable at high speed and with the ErgoBrain, your hands never leave the brake/shifters. Can shift up and down while climbing.

NONE except it is only avaialble in odd cm and no custom frames from Bianchi USA.

The best road bike I have ever ridden, my Peugeot Super Comp and Guerchiotti Campy Super Record stay in the house.

[Sep 03, 2003]
grooverhank

Strength:

Light, FAST, comfort (get a gel seat though), and just a fun bike to go fast on. It can really climb well and can be pushed hard without the worry of breaking anything. I love the paint job and the color: Celeste, a Bianchi trademark. I just think Bianchi has a ton of great mystic and I'm proud to be riding one of these.

That carbon fork. I bought my bike in June 2002, and the frame was already about a year old, so it must be a 2001-2002. When I'm speeding downhill at about 30+, and I'm taking turns, it starts to wobble up front which translates to the rest of the bike. I've had the shop look at it. My headset's fine, so I figure it's gotta be the fork. I spoke to some other riders who have later models and they said that Bianchi changed the angle/bolstered the thickness of the fork. Next year I plan on having another fork installed.

A comfortable, lightweight racing bike that gets better each time I ride it. I race Sprint Tri's so speed and quickness are important, but when I take longer rides I'm never "hurting" from the bike - just the workout! The better rider I become the better the bike becomes. I plan on upgrading the components as they wear-out and/or when I save up the money.

None.

[Mar 25, 2003]
Dan

Strength:

The XL Boron is strong, light, responsive, fast, smooth, comforable, and beautifully finished. The stock components are not top class, but close. I'd prefer Record or Chorus, but who wouldn't? Campy's Daytona (Centaur) range is comparable to Shimano's Ultegra group.

The stock Selle Italia Octavia saddle is not perineum friendly.

The Bianchi XL Boron (2001) is a great bike. And I got a great deal on E-bay, paying half the retail price for a brand-new bike. Even at full price, it is one of the very best steel bike you can buy for the money. I have had the bike for just a few weeks, but over the first 100 miles or so, it's gotten better and better. The best thing about this bike is its combination of lightness and strength. Bianchi's proprietary boron tubing is similar in weight to Foco and EOM 16.5. The XL Boron frame weighs in at 2.8 lbs. But, unlike some other super-lightweight steel frames, it is not restricted to use by lightweight riders. I am 6'2" and weigh 210 lbs, and the frame (as well as the virtually bullet-proof Bianchi Levitation wheelset) are sturdy and stable under me.

Bianchi San Remo

[Feb 04, 2003]
agswin

Strength:

* Very Smooth Ride * Very Light for a steel frame * Very Inexpensive vs. other Comparable Steel Frames * Durable and reliable * Great paint finish- no labels,painted lettering and clearcoated * Versitile frame geometry- Rides Crits to Centuries equally well. * Great Handling- uphill or downhill at 40+mph. * Quality workmanship

VERY FEW: * 1" Headtube & Full Carbon Fork- a little flex in headtube area when out of saddle sprinting. 2003 frame now 1 1/8 inch should solve * Odd sized seatpost- 26.8mm

This review is for the 2000 model Bianchi XL Boron. It was the last year for the flat horizontal tob tube frameset. I have been extremely pleased with frameset and bike setup after 8,000 miles of riding over the past 2 years. I am a 6'1" 160 lb. rider and the 59cm frame fits me well and is quite comfortable. My previous bike was a Bianchi Campione which was a lugged steel frame. I was very pleased with it but wanted something lighter and flashier. The XL Boron has exceeded all my expectations for a great all around mid to upper level road bike. I like to do many weekend rides of 50-60mi+ over sometimes rough roads. I feel little or no soreness due to the ride when finished. When I purchased my first road bike 4 years ago I test rode many bikes, all aluminum frames. I was quickly disappointed in the ride quality of all of them. To me ride quality is very important na I believe is to anyone who considers themself a serious racer or even recreational cyclist that rides 50-100 mile rides or races. If you only ride 20-40 miles an aluminum frameset might be ok. I think the high-end aluminum framesets with carbon seat-stays now ride pretty smooth, but you must be willing to spend a lot of $$$'s. I firmly believe that their is not a better well rounded performing road bike setup out their for the money spent. I bike performs well climbing 12% grades in and out of the saddle and is an extremly stable and confident decender 40+mph. I carves 90 degree criterium turns at 25+mph without hesitation and inspires confidence in your bike handling skills. You will never be suprised taking tight turns at high speed. The smoothness of ride reduces overall fatigue and soreness as well as allows for you to better focus on proper pedaling form throughout your whole ride. In summary, if you want a great quality road ride for the money you will not be dissappointed. This bike is a high-performance machine that is nearly as low weight as the lightest carbon fiber or aluminum framset with a definitively smoother and more comfortable ride. The Bianchi Italian craftsmanship, quality, design, and combined value are unsurpassed in vast array of road bike choices.

Bianchi Campione D'Italia Specialized various Raleigh R700 Cannondale

[Oct 02, 2002]
fitzpb

Strength:

* Superlight Steel Frame * Smooth Ride * Who said steel has to be heavy? * Cheap vs. other comparable steel frames * Designed for Campy components * Durable

* Paint Job (too flashy for me) * $$ (if buying new) * Handlebar will not stay put

This review is for a 2000 Bianchi XL Boron. That was the last year that they made a traditional frameset. Everything after that was semi-sloping top tube which I do not particularly care for. This bike is absolutely amazing. My former ride was a 1999 Cannondale R600 with RX100 components. I can't even begin to tell you how big a difference there is between aluminum and steel. I just finished my first century with the XL Boron this past weekend and I actually felt refreshed at the end of it. With the Cannondale, I always used to feel beat up and had a massive headache for a couple of days afterward. I felt bad for my friend who rode the same century and was hurtin' at the end since her frame was aluminum. I have actually found that I am faster with this bike because I am less concerned with the road surface and more focused on my technique. It really is that smooth. If you do purchase this bike, do yourself a favor and equip it with Campy components. Having ridden Shimano for many years, I can now appreciate how smooth Campy really is. I was surprised at the difference between the two. Granted, my bike is equipped with full Record, but I've heard similar stories from folks with the Chorus 10-speed gruppo. You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to the 20-speed drivetrain. This bike handles like a dream. I sped down the mountain at 50+ mph and realized at the end of the descent that I hadn't touched my brakes once, even with a 25 mph corner. Couldn't say that for the Cannondale. All in all, a phenomenal bike for not a lot of $$. Steel is real and there is no turning back for me.

Trek 5200 Litespeed Arenberg Cervelo Prodigy Bianchi San Remo LeMond Zurich

[Sep 13, 2002]
xallanmillerx

Strength:

Very comfortable. Handles well, very stable on cornering. Smoothe ride. Really a dream to ride.

Original Bianchi seat was uncomfortable, switched to Terry Fly (my preference).

Wonderful bike: smooth, stable ride, handles well. No regrets about purchasing this bike - I love it!

Previously rode Bianchi ChromoLite Reparto Corso frame.

[Aug 14, 2002]
jerry banks

Strength:

True european quality based upon history not american hype. supirior technological advancements in Italian metalurgy that is more than kinetic art, it's an interactive artform that can be felt in the ride qualities of this bike. Long term value.

None, besides the painfully obvious desire to ride verses the reality of available riding time.

The Bianchi Boron steel road frame is one of the truly best kept secrets in the parlances of road cycling. Bianchi does make lighter/theoretically faster frames, but for a one bike that can honestly do it all, from Crits to century and club rides the Boron Bianchi is the answer.

My road history pre-dates usable clinchers; first ride was an A&D, followed by two Guerciotti's, a discusting Paramount, and a couple of early Bianchi's. Don't get me wrong I'm sure that there are dec

[Jul 26, 2002]
Larry

Strength:

Solid steel with carbon fiber forks, handles and breaks very we'll. Very fast down hill.

Seat, to hard and not ideal shape.

Very solid "Steel" and well built. Great for long, fast rides. Absorbes road bumps very well, yet allows for fast riding. Great cruiser for those group rides in the 23 mph range.