Cannondale R900 Si Triple 2002 Road Bike

R900 Si Triple

Chick rider   Triathlete [Feb 21, 2010]
Strength:

stiff, light, sharp looking, quick response

Stock saddle, tires,

First off I have to say I loved the color of this bike. This was my first road bike purchas. It was just a little to big for me. So I tweeked it around to fit me a little better. I love this bike. I did change out the stock seat and tires. What a difference! The rides are that more enjoyable. It has been 7 years now and it is hard to give it up for the newest bike out there.

Spyky   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff, great power transfer. Looks.

Terrible saddle for a $2k bike Creaking bottom bracket (although easily fixed)

This bike was my first road bike. I've been mountain biking for many years. The first thing I did when I purchased the bike was to change the stock saddle to a decent ergonomic saddle (Selle Italia Flight Trans Am) I also changed the bar and stem to better fit me. Both were lateral upgrades for better fit, rather then upgrades in quality, but the stem is much nicer looking than the stock Coda. After riding for about a month, I noticed a lot of creaking in the bottom bracket. I took the bike to my LBS and they added a layer of teflon plumbing tape to the threads on the BB. They claimed that the problem was the aluminum on aluminum interface. They seemed to be right, the creaking dissapeared and has never returned. Since I'm new to road riding, I will not comment too much on the performance or handling of the bike, since I have nothing to compare it too. I can only say that the power transfer is better than any mountain bike I've ever ridden (ie, the bottom bracket and chainstay are very stiff). I've never had any problem with harshness. Although most of my rides are less than 3 hours. A note on the Mavic Cosmos wheelset, I completely rebuilt the rear wheel after having to continually retrue it, it's been much better since. This is probably because it is a machine built wheel and quality is not terribly consistent. The flaws in this bike are very minor, In retrospect I would have purchased a 2000, because I've upgraded most of the components anyway. But I expect to be happy riding this bike for several more years.

Dan   Recreational Rider [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

very light and stiff, quick response when jumping on the pedals, sharp looking bike.

the stock saddle, adjusting the gears takes time.

This is my first real road bike, so can't compare with a lot of other bikes. I ride a 63cm R900 Triple. The bike is very light and responds well when you jump on the pedals. I got bought this bike because it was one of the largest stock bikes on the market and the Cannondale reputation. The ride is a little rough, but changing out the saddle to the Selle Italia Pro Link Gel helped absorb the shock. You might also try the new carbon seatpost by Specialized that will increase your comfort on the bike. I did have initial problems with getting the gearing set to where it wasn't rubbing the chain guard,hard to do with a triple. After making changes in the saddle and seat post the bike provides a very smooth, comfortable and fast ride.

Similar Products Used: Trek 2200
BlueDemon   Road Racer [May 13, 2003]
Strength:

The wheelset is amazing: it never needs trueing. After it is properly adjusted, the shifting is also excellent. The bike climbs great and holds the road very well at 40+ mph going downhill on very rough roads, but only with an aftermarket fork.

The stock Time fork is total garbage. It resonates horribly. Use it to tune a piano maybe, but not on a bike.

This was my first road bike. Let's not beat around the bush: this bike had an extremely rough ride. It was so rough that I thought it was unrideable. Theory dictates that ALL frames are ultra-stable triangles and that the fork makes all the difference in the ride. I swapped out the fork for a better one that didn't resonate and also added a suspension seatpost. The result: it is now a very nice machine indeed. The final comfort enhancement that I made was purchasing some proper padded bike shorts. I use this bike for 49-mile rides every weekend.

Similar Products Used: I commute on an '02 Specialized Sirrus Pro. My old '99 Specialized Hardrock Comp with 1" road tires is the backup commuter bike.
dlbopfla   Recreational Rider [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

The CAAD 7 frame smoothes out the ride. I was on a CAAD 3 and it beat the hell out of me.

I’ve noticed quite a bit of flex from the rear triangle when I really jump on it.

I’ve put about 2K on this ride and I love it. Made the jump from a hybrid to a road bike and I am not looking back. Sweet ride, light, responsive, and actually fairly comfortable after 100+ miles. The shifting has been less then smooth, but no major problems.

Similar Products Used: Road Warrior 500
BigPete   Recreational Rider [Apr 15, 2002]
Strength:

The frame! No flex at the bottom bracket, a great climber and sprinter. Good wheelset - Mavic Cosmos w/Continental tires.

The stock saddle is a medevial torture device. Thin plastic shell, too soft padding and vinyl. Stem and seatpost are ugly.

A very nice bike. The frame is stiff at the bottom bracket, yet it doesn''''t beat me up. Very well finished. The Ultegra/105 components work well together, the wheelset at the price is outstanding. The housebrand C-dale parts (except the pedals) leave a lot to be desired.