Cannondale R900 Si 2002 Road Bike

Cannondale R900 Si 2002 Road Bike

[Oct 12, 2012]
Kevin Mulligan

Strength:

I had written my first review in 2003 when I first purchased the bike. I still have it almost 10 years later, and it looks as good as it did then. I upgraded to Kryserium sl wheel set, new seat and maintained it with care. I have riden many miles on the bike including centuries, touring, and a little racing over the years. I have no desire to buy a new bike as this ride is second to none. I love it.

For an aluminum bike that is 10 years old, there really are not any bikes much better, and certaintly not worth the money. It still looks good and the blue paint always gets me compliments. It rides well and I see no weakness.

Great bike and ages like a fine wine.

[Dec 11, 2010]
joereach

Strength:

Frame is fantastic, stiff and responsive. Wheels are bomb proof. Ultegra shifters and rear mech feel slick.

The seat, the crank (Shimano 105) isn't as stiff as the bracket.

Bought it on Markplaats.nl (Dutch Ebay) as as my first proper race bike after completing some triathlons on a beater. Loved it straight away, stiff, stiff, stiff, handles great and I feel like a badass speed-machine on it.
I replaced the seat and the seat-post, the stock seat isn't very comfortable, especially for such a stiff frame. I also plan to upgrade the crank.

[Jun 06, 2004]
pininmefin

Strength:

rigidity,conering and comfortable geomtry is outstanding.It realy leaps on a bunch sprint when you lay the "hammer down"!!

sadle sucks.changed out to my terry.

Awsome bike!!The handling is superb,coners like a champ and is very comfortable.I'll have this bike for years to come!!

khs flite300,tomasso scillian

[Dec 26, 2003]
kmulligan

Strength:

Comfort for long rides durability components for the price are great never had a problem with the seat even though many others have upgraded

none so far

I purchased the Bike 3 months ago, and am extremely happy with it. Very comfortable, particulary with the hour glass stays. Components, particularly the Mavic wheel set is great and very durable.

Mountain bikes; Trek F900; cannondale lefty f900sx

[Jun 13, 2003]
jaybarbus

Strength:

Great components for the price paid. Ride seems very comfortable compared to other bikes tested; rear seat stays (hourglass shape) really seem to absorb some of the road vibrations. Very durable and reliable

A little heavy, maybe, but durable. Don't even try using the stock saddle (no kidding); numbness from a test ride is definitely not a good sign!

I am a marathon runner who recently made the leap to Ironman triathlons. Purchased the 2002 model (new) in 2003 for significant savings. Oakley Cycles (in Cincinnati) did a superb job of fitting me on the bike; takes time, but worth it. Bike is very comfortable and durable. Wheelsets have been a pleasant surprise, taking the abuse of some not-so-smoothe country roads without a problem. Moderately light weight bike (FYI, you can get the actual weight for the European models on the Cannondale website, but not the US models; strange). Glad to see Cannondale has emerged from bankruptcy as it is nice to have the option to buy a hand-made frame at a reasonable price. Some complaints I have heard about Cannondale (and noticed in their 2003 lower end models) is that they mix in too many of their own components. I have heard that a lot of other bike frames from other companies on the lower end are ALL actually manufactured at the same Giant facility in Asia at the same plant; so, take your pick. I personnaly prefer the custom frame.

N/A. First road bike.

[Mar 22, 2003]
rbruce63

Strength:

Very comfortable ride even in sloppy tarmak, very strong frame, very solid.

Wheels are too thin for costarican poorly covered tarmak.

I purchased my R900 Si a treat for my 38th birthday, for belly busting and overall physical conditioning purposes. I have found cycling happiness with this bike besides mountainbiking. This ride is very retro, conservative, no compact design, no dropping saddle post, very American plus superb workmanship in the package. The Europeans should be envious of this bike. Today I did a 3 hour climb to the fabled Alto del Indio near my home in the hills of Santa Ana, in good climate some overcast, a slow breeze and 25°Centigrade temperature riding with a group of experienced riders. All of them liked my bike even a "pro" that rode a red chromoly Bianchi and passed me away in the climb, said "nice bike", however I did perform well, felt well and returned wanting for more. I have been training every day at 5:30 A.M. since the 6th of March after many months of inactivity and my companions were riding a Colnago, Lifespeed both with Campagnolo Record components and a Cannondale R600 with Shimano 105's which I consider more expensive bikes, except for the R600 which is fairly equivalent to mine except for the frame. The Grippeme wheels on my R900 Si with sets of three radii are great, however last Sunday my front wheel caught a crevice in the break down area of the road where I train and it punctured the chamber, scratched the front rim and put it out of alignment. I sanded the scratch with #125 sanding paper and took the wheel to the shop to have it trued. Since then I ride with more concern of the road, which I didn't do with my mountain bike. This is my second Cannondale. The first one is an M400 that I still conserve as a relic, perhaps as an amulet. This was a trouble free bike and the components are still working. My R900 Si came with Shimano Tiagra in the front derralieur, however, but unless it fails, I do not plan to trade it in. The stock seat is gone and I have a lighter one with a chamois top. This bike is a safe and classy bet. The pebble and blue finish is classic and I look forward to many years of enjoyment. I hope the belly goes but I forsee long rides and chocolate ingestion abstinence also

Benotto 27" 10 speed.

[Mar 16, 2003]
Brian Moore

Strength:

In 1 year wheels are in true.

Replace the saddle! Triple chainring with 12-25 in rear cassette not needed. Better to go to 11-23 or 21.

Excellent bike all around for price. 1st road bike, but extremely comfortable for any length ride.

T2000 Cannondale Touring

[Mar 05, 2003]
rickgassko

Strength:

light, reat wheels, good componenents

the stock saddle is terrible. My entire mid-section fell asleep on the first 50 mile ride. had to replace immediately.

Fantastic bike. very strong, very light, very comfortable. The stock components are great, and you get an amazing frame and wheels

[Dec 25, 2002]
calebsk8

Strength:

Its fast and rides smooth. It seems to climb well and is very responsive in the sprint.

the chainstays are a little wide if your wearing regular tennis shoes but with clip pedals and racing shoes ive never touched the stays with my size 13's

I bought the bike off ebay in perfect condition. It came with upgraded thomson seat post and stem which i like very much and recommend. the cannondale CAAD5 frame is plenty comfortable. I came from riding aluminum mountain bikes so it might not be as pleasant to everyone else. It is equipped with mainly ultegra components and cosmos wheels. This is my first road bike and i have no complaints.

cannondale and gary fisher mountain bikes

[Jul 23, 2002]
Jay

Strength:

Overall a great bike that you can race pretty much out of the box.

Fork comes pre-cut, wire beaded tires.

I have had this bike since January and have done over 35 races on it and have no major complaints. The rear wishbone stays come as advertised, and really provide some added comfort. To accomodate the bends however the chainstays bow out slightly, and my heels rub the frame from time to time. I changed the stem to a TTT Forgie and was able to get more spacing due to it's smaller clamp design. This was an issue since I am 6'3" and need a little more stack height than most. I also changed the tires,seat,pedals,seat post, and had the shop give me a set of black Cosmos (instead of the blue). I race crit's and have had a few crashes, and it has held up great.

Five CAAD 3 frames, one steel Bianchi