Cervelo Soloist 2002 Road Bike

Cervelo Soloist 2002 Road Bike

[Nov 15, 2013]
Jon

Strength:

Stiff ride, aero, quick response.I bought mine from the original owner and it still rides like new.

Brakes aren't great, heavy for an aero bike 20+ on the 58, not too comfortable on 50+ miles

I have enjoyed this bike a lot and don't plan on selling it as it's a bike I want to keep for crit races, road races, training.

[Jan 11, 2004]
scottstevens1024

Strength:

Light, stiff, compact, comfortable. Excellent build quality, sexy looks

Would prefer a better quality saddle.

Well, it was time to get the second bike, you know, you have your training bike and your racing bike...its a stutus thing :) Anyway, after looking online and reading the CSC endorsements I went to the local to have a look at this bike for real. As the mechanic (not salesman) said ' this bike looks fast when standing still' and he was right. The soloist accelerates like a demon, and corners like a dream. Stable on those fast down hills, and lovely to climb with. I took it on this countries biggest cycling event with only 25 kms on the soloists clock and she performed brilliantly. (price in NZD)

Avanti Monza (www.avantibikes.com.au) Scorpio Ra300 (current training bike)

[Dec 30, 2003]
back bacon

Strength:

True aero tubing. Stiff BB. Carbon Forks and carbon seat post available. Adjustable geometry seat post head.

This bike is outstanding! With its true aero down tube,seat tube and post, it gives a good feeling of cutting through the air. I replaced the seat with a Koobi Xenon, trued the wheels at time of purchase and locked up the spokes and it has been a real pleasure to ride. The Soloist is quick and responsive and no matter if I'm spinning or mashing the big gears, I get what I want out of the bike. I use the Kenda tires for training but have been racing with Hutchinson Carbon comps Team Issue and Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige and 700x20. She's a firm ride at a good clip.

Trek 2000

[Dec 11, 2003]
Ronald Kupper

Strength:

quick handling. Aero attributes.

stock Cervelo brakes are lousy. Overall poor fit and finish (sloppy welds, decals instead of paint). heavy for a compact geometry (19 lbs for 51cm), big size gap between frames...only 51cm and then 54cm, nothing in between. Customer service from Cervelo is less than stellar.

Fun bike but overpriced for the quality.

Trek OCLV, Bridgestone RB-1, Cannondale

[Jul 01, 2003]
djdurrett

Strength:

Compact frame geometry, responsive, cool looking, light (mine weighs 18.3 with pedals), does everything well (climbing, sprinting, and hauling a$$), great value for the $$ Performance is flawless! The best bike I have ever ridden!

Wheels are a bit sketchy, especially with the trouble I had with them, the stock tires and saddle are junk, I am not too sure about the house brand brakes... but other than that, It is simply fantastic.

I have always been a rodie but was looking for a bike that would allow me to get into some multisport events. After much research, I decided on the Soloist. I can't believe I found one! The demand where I live is so high, there are waiting lists... I came from riding a Paramount Steel bike to the Soloist. WOW! It was unreal. So responsive and man, how it accelerates. My average speed for 100 miles increased by 2.3mph... and that is without aero bars. I did have the exact same issues with the ritchey wheels in regards to spoke tension and the squeeky hub as Ernie (see above). The bike is great in road and tri mode. I am amazed at the difference! I bought an extra seat post head for my tri saddle, so changing modes is a snap.

Viner SLX, Schwinn Paramount (tange), Giant CADEX.

[May 31, 2003]
Phil_Bixby

Strength:

Light enough and aerodynamic; nice ride quality, feels efficient. Plus it's unusual (in the UK anyway) - makes a change from the ubiquitous Treks!

None so far.. ..will be interesting to see how the finish lasts.

I wanted a "summer" bike to enjoy riding fast, maybe race or TT. I read the reviews, read the contents of Cervelo's website, and stuff that people at CSC had said. Plus I just decided it looked like a wonderful piece of design and engineering... ...so I bought one. I got the frame/fork/seatpost and then built it up to exactly what I wanted. Quality is lovely in a chunky kind of way; graphics are simple, but the finished thing looks great. Nice touches like internal cable routing. Only had it a few weeks so first impressions only:- It's a joy to ride, instantly upping average speeds by about 2mph. It feels responsive, light, steering is fast but just the right side of nervous (for me). It feels in touch with the road but - perhaps surprisingly given the sizeable, strong tubes - not harsh. It seems to really make efficient use of effort and encourages smooth fast pedalling where you can delight in the speed shifting upwards as you get into a rhythm. It's fun and fast; well worth the (fairly high in the UK) price.

None apart from Specialized hack bike.

[Feb 04, 2003]
Ernie

Strength:

Frame comfort stiffness looks

Wheelset - I could see going to velomax

I bought the soloist in Oct 2002 to replace a bike that I broke the frame on. I raced the bike in a triathlon with steep hills within the first week (for the hills switched to 12-27). This bike flat out rips, sprints great, stiff on the hillclimbs, and very comfortable. I am a larger rider (6'3 195) and the bike feels great in crit sprinting. I had a few issues with the bike (components, not the frame) in the first 150 miles. Firstly, the Ritchey Aero DS wheels are not anywhere near as nice as the frame, but that is what you get. The wheels came to me built without enough tension, and came out of true pretty big time. I had a friend true them up and put about 1/2 turn more tension all around and the wheels have been BULLETPROOF. Do this when the wheels are still new and you will not have the breaking spoke problem so associated with this wheelset. Second, the rear hub started making a squeaking sound like a seal had gotten dry. Went to Ritchey's website to the FAQ section and low and behold they posted instructions on how to cure. Don't be afraid to pull apart the hub and regrease, I had never done it before and the job took less than 5 mins and no special tools. Squeak is long gone. Lastly, the reversible seatpost had a tendency to come loose in the first 100 miles (came loose every 35-50 miles) but keep tightening the bolt and now I have over 700 miles and no tightening needed. Since the first 150 miles, I haven't needed to touch the bike. GREAT BIKE THOUGH, this is an excellent bike for an unbelievable price, so don't hesitate.

2000 Specialized Allez

[Jan 17, 2003]
jeffz99

Strength:

Geometry provide smooth ride and handling. Ability to change setup to ride both road and trialthon.

Gearing oriented more towards TT than general road. Some manufactures like Bianchi ship bikes to different regions with different gearing to account for geography. With Cervelo you have to adjust chain rings/casettes to suit yourself.

I race triathlons and initally opted for a full TT setup (Pinarello Prologo, 79 degrees) with ITM bullhorns and end-shifters. Although this setup is fast its not particualary comfortable especially for Ironman distances, climbing, and descents. Some pundits advise if you only can affored one bike get a tri bike but they tend to overlook the fact that most triathlete spend 99% of their time training and 1% of their time racing. So the ability to train road style was a big consideration plus the ability to setup for racing. They are a number of other bikes that make this claim but their hybrid approach to geomtry (tri front end on road back end or vice versa) compromised the cockpit fit but perhaps more importantly weight distribution. Dan Empfield provides a pretty good analysis of this on www.slowtwitch.com if you dig for it. After lots research and testing riding I finally narrowed the field down to the Soloist. Here in California mosts LBSs stock exotics like Felt and Serrotta and as an engineer I found the build quality of Cervelo fully on par with them. But the proof is not in the pudding but in the eating, so you may ask how does it ride? In a word GREAT. Even with the lower end wheels and tires spec'd on the Soloist it rides smoother than my ex-handbuilt Italian (Campy Shamal, etc etc). I have been able to easily ramp up my distances and climbs by 50-75% in great comfort. Speeds are up 1.2 mph at the same or lower BPM so I count that as greater efficiency. I suspect that swapping wheels and tires would yield further improvements but for the moment I am just having too much fun as an Age Grouper with the stock configuration to change it. You may want to research further into how Team Saturn and CSC-Tiscali configure their bikes for pro level riding. In the end my analysis it comes down to utility and comfort ratio per dollar. On that score I found the Soloist fits the bill perfectly.

Pinarello Prologo. Kestrel KM40.

[Sep 30, 2002]
jdughi

Strength:

stiff frame, yet comfortable. power transfers really well. fork is amazing. cool looking design.

the seatpost is too heavy - aero aluminum - cervelo needs to come out with a carbon one

This bike is amazing. It accelerates like a demon, flies uphill and is sooooo comfortable. I can go 20-21 in my sleep on this bike. Plus the aero tubes look sweet. Also, it is silent when pedaling. Value is fabulous. The frame is $1199 and includes a carbon fork, headset, and an aero seatpost.

[Jul 22, 2002]
KillerQuads

Strength:

Stiff for climbing, compliant carbon fiber fork, quiet, light, smooth, adjustable stem, great look (functional and attractive), a relative steal (looks like a $5,000 unobtainable machine)

Poor gearing set up, bars too low (for me), front brake cable too short (if bars raised), no aero bars included

I first saw this bike on the road in Virginia. I thought it was a $5,000 bike. I found out there was a dealer one mile from my house. This shop was open on Sunday (cool) and they had my size in stock. I took home my Soloist 1 hour later. The bike is light (54 cm weighs 18.4 lbs without pedals), stiff when out of the saddle, and smooth over bumps and ripples (carbon fork). One strange effect from the aero design is that when there is a slight tail wind (so there is not a lot of air rushing past my ears), riding the bike is dead silent and I can hear cars behind me from far away. I am a former bike mechanic and gave it a complete going over at home. The bike is very high quality and well setup with a good component selection. Only minor tweaks were needed. For example, I cut off the tabs on the brake and derailleur cable ends and apply half a drop of super glue to prevent fraying. My only major complaint is the gearing for this bike, which seems unreasonably high to me. The 53/42 front and 23/11 rear yield a top gear of 130 and a low of only 49. Regular use of the two top gears will wear out your knee cartilage in half a season. If you descend mountains fast enough to use the top gears, then the 49 low gear is not low enough for climbing back up the mountain. I am no wimp, I have big quads and calves from years of hill climbing, but the two top gears seem a waste to me. Also, three gears on the 42 ring are duplicated on the 53 ring. A better gearing combo would be a 50/39 front and 25/12 rear. This yields a more sane 113 top gear and 42 low gear. There is very little gear duplication, and you get many more mid range gears to play with. Other combos are a 50/42 front and/or 23/12 rear, all better than stock. My second problem was that the bars were too low. I was sore in the lower back, and when on the drops my quads were hitting my chest. Thankfully, the stem height can be adjusted my moving spacers above or below the stem. I ended up with two spacers above, two spacers below, and the stem inverted (angled up rather than parallel to the ground). This is like my normal road bike and MUCH more comfortable. The only limitation is the front brake cable which is a bit too short to raise the bars any higher than my setup. One last gripe: the aero bars to convert to a time trial machine are not included.