Fondriest Status Carb 2002 Road Bike

Status Carb

Mange   Recreational Rider [Jul 11, 2008]
Strength:

Geometery, ride quality, paint job.

Not many. You will be surprized how nice the bike rides.

The other reviewers are correct in their assesment of this frameset. I owned a Fondriest MegaCrome steel frame before this one. That was an all steel frameset with a Fondriest labled Time fork, steel steertube. I will admit that I liked the MegaCrome slightly better than the Status, slightly better feel, but it was heavier. It was a 56cm and I like the fit of the Status 57cm better. All in all really the same ride, just take away 100-200 grams. I would compare the ride of this frameset against any high end bike made of any material on the market today. I have a full Dura Ace Litespeed Pavia Carbon bike that does not really get ridden, because I prefer the ride of my Veloce X-Status better. The LS is great for racing the guys, but for long 50-100 mile rides, this is the bike of choice. You can pay alot more for more fashionable steel frames, but this one will hold its own. It is also relatively lite, around 1650g for the frameset. Dont let the extra pound fool you, and if it really bothers you, ride with one water bottle rather than two, and you are just as light as your $3000 carbon bike, but with a better ride quality. Really, my only complaint is the flex it has developed over the years. A little softer than when I first got it. Overall, good frameset, nice ride quality, light weight for steel, at a bargin basement price used.

Similar Products Used: Lots.
aaronbarker   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2007]
Strength:

comfortable ride, little road buzz. terrific graphics. great handling.

integrated headset was tough to set up - or maybe it was just me

I recently finished the build of a new-old-stock Status Plus. This is Fondriest's steel frame with carbon seat and chain stays. This is a great ride! I've had it out on rides ranging from 35 to 50 miles and it is superbly comfortable while remaining a fast, nimble ride. The finish is amazing with Fondriest's exclusive SAT graphic system. Mine is a pearlescent white with the profile of a '57 Ferrari Testa Rossa along the top tube. If you can find one, don't pass it up. a previous review mentioned some twitchyness - i had the same problem until i readjusted the integrated headset. after that, no problem!

Similar Products Used: Fondriest Top Level, Carb Level & Colnago VIP2000
SRLancer   Recreational Rider [Jul 29, 2006]
Strength:

lightweight steel frame
responsive handling
great looking scratch resistant paint job
Italian heritage

Some might consider the handling twitchy
No longer available

The frame is very light and responsive to the point where some might think it a bit twitchy. It didn't take long to get used to it and once I did, it handled like a dream. It transfers power well on the climb and inspires confidence on fast descents. The blend of steel and carbon fibre fork and seat stays really helps absorb the bumps in the road. It is a very comfortable ride where I can spend 6 hours in the saddle and not feel beat up like I do on some aluminum frames. The black matte paint job has what seems like a rubbery finish and in my opinion looks fantastic and is easy to maintain. I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a light fast compliant ride and is torn between old school steel and new tech carbon fibre. It's a blend of both that works. Unfortunately, this frame is no longer available from Fondriest so your only chance is to find one used.

Similar Products Used: Marin Argenta, Bianchi Talladega, Colnago Dream Plus, Trek 5500
  Road Racer [Jan 23, 2004]
Strength:

Classic steel feel Light but solid Build and finish quality awsome

Had to have frame prepped before building--minor inconvenience when you are excited to build a new frame.

Beautiful bike. I have always liked steel bikes, but have been caught up in the aluminum/carbon hype for the past couple of years. I have always admired this frame for its mix of old and new technology, so when it went on sale I snatched it up. Trust me, it is not your typical old school steel frame. It provides the wonderful spring that only steel can give, but delivers it in a modern, light-weight package. Fully built with Dura Ace and kysrium wheels it weighs in the neighborhood of 16.5 lbs. Customer service at Fondriest direct was great. They at first sent me the wrong size, but shipped out a second frame the same day I called to let them know without me having to deal with return orders or hassles.

Similar Products Used: Felt aluminum, Torelli, Trek, Bianchi, many others
dnovo   Recreational Rider [Nov 17, 2002]
Strength:

Ride, cornering, crisp response to input. Well built and finished.

None.

Dedaccai EOM 16.5 tubing, Mizuno full carbon fork and carbon seat stay translates to a sub-16 pound bike that still offers the comfort of a steel ride with the responses of an Italian aluminum road racer. The finish is excellent and the handling, while quite 'fast' if you are used to a more traditional response, rewards a deft touch on the bars. Very good responses and information from the US distributor, in contrast to many other importers of Italian bikes. The frame came well packed and my LBS had no trouble assembling the bike. The build quality and paint finish cannot be faulted. Quite a contrast to the heavier and more sedate handling of other steel frames, but very forgiving on rough roads. A 'keeper' that handles my 195 pounds without a problem.

Similar Products Used: Serotta CSi
jacjetlag   Road Racer [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight,steel feel,Totally dialed in handling,comfortable,uncommon,stealthy...ITALIANO panache!!..worth every penny.

Came with wrong seat clamp in box...big deal.Dealer fixed for me.

A friend planted a seed in my thoughts about building an Italian steel bike a couple of years ago.I built this one during the summer months and have since sold some bikes I really liked because of it.I like it that much.Really no reason to have all that money hanging on the garage ceiling when this bike does everything I want exceedingly well.The build quality is as good as any I've seen and the handling characteristics are confidence inspiring.The ride of steel/carbon together is far superior to any large tube aluminum bike and I'd say better than Ti.Just my opinion.It's a very light combination with the EOM steel. It built right at 16 no kidding lbs with a 60cm frame.Amazing.There are a lot of good bikes at the high end,but I'd match this against any I've seen.Nice thing is,you don't see that many around.Fondriest has done a lot of R and D lately and it is paying off.The black matte paint is cool too,almost impossible to scratch.Fork and headset included in frame price.

Similar Products Used: Serotta,Specialized,Cannondale,Look,litespeed.
Alex Turnbull   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2002]
Strength:

Comfort, feel, stiffness on a climb or in a sprint (I didn't feel anything move at 1300Watts).

You might have to sell your soul to buy it.

What do you get when you cross italian craftmanship with first rate technology - the status carb. This bike is incredible. I tried a lot of bikes before getting to this one and it is mindblowing: you know that feeling an old steel bike has, that pleasantly real and live sensation? This bike has it. And that shock absorbing yet stiff characteristic of a carbon bike? Its got that too. This bike is absolutely incredible, and light too. I've tried other bikes more expensive than this (including the P4) and nothing has the incredible balance of feel, comfort, stiffness in the tail and great looks. If you can, buy this bike.

Similar Products Used: Fondreist P4, Colnago C40, Trek 5500, Colnago Ovalmaster, Litespeed etc etc.