Giant TCR Aero 2002 Road Bike

TCR Aero

conner   Road Racer [May 04, 2011]
Strength:

best bike

nothing

i had a giant aero i loved it so much that when i grew out of it i got another one if any oni is looking for a bike its the best you can get

JTE83   Recreational Rider [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

Aero frame, carbon stem and aero seatpost. Seat feels comfortable with no pains after 23 miles of biking. Very good looks in black and with its stock sticker set. I get a lot of comments on what a nice bike this is. Some people get the impression that this is an expensive bike. I think the looks of the 2002 model are better than the 2003 & 2004 models.

R535 wheels became slightly untrue in 325 miles. Not untrue enough to rub the brake pads. Had 5 flats in same mileage on the stock Hutchinson tires.

All around a very nice bike. In only 5 months since I started biking (to lose weight and for the exercise and the sport of road biking) I hit a max speed of 27.1 mph (on the flats). I have a small bike frame, and the overall total weight of my bike is 19.7 lbs. The 105 components are adequate for the bike, though my R535 rear wheel became slightly untrue within 325 miles. My body weight went from 206 to 191.4 lbs riding this bike.

Similar Products Used: This is my only road bike. Have a Cannondale F600 mtn bike.
Willick   Triathlete [Aug 06, 2003]
Strength:

Fast, very fast. I also love the smooth Shimano shifters and brakes...never had a problem with Shimano though. The bike is also very quiet. Great value for the price!

Haven't found any real weaknesses other than the speed issue and I have logged close to 1200 miles on it so far.

Can't really complain about this bike at all. No problems so far but a little wobble with speeds in excess of 50mph (but how often do you get the chance or care to go faster than 50?). Very fast bike though and the aerodynamics are awesome in my opinion...you can overtake most road bikes on a downhill. The only mods I have made have been getting a bigger cushy saddle because I can't stand those little racing ones which definitely aren't cool for long rides. Go out and get one of those nice big gel ergonomic saddles by Schwinn...the comfort is worth the extra weight!

Similar Products Used: Tested similarly priced Bianchi and although I love my (still rigid) mtn bike by Bianchi, the Campagnolo shifters on the Bianchi turned me off to the bike which were not very ergonomic and didn't shif
barryteshima   Triathlete [Aug 05, 2003]
Strength:

weight, look, price, fit, speed.

none really. just the pedals aren't my favorite, and I need a new wheelset for training.

I bought this after shopping for a deal for quite some time. I got a significant component upgrade and a computer for not much more than the suggest retail price. Overall the bike has worked wonderfully for me. The frame is stiff. Rides very smoothly. Good control. I also took the decals off so the all black frame looks really intimidating. Very light, and very nice for hills.

Similar Products Used: none
Jonathan Stagg   Triathlete [Jul 28, 2003]
Strength:

great on smooth road, fast & light, goodvalue for money

One very big one - the wobbles on death on blue metal descents

On smooth roads, on flat roads, and uphill this bikes is great. it accelerates, climbs and corners. But try and go downhill on anything but motorway standard road and you had better hang on because the speed wobbles kick in early and hard. Had 3 mechanics look at it and say nothing wrong with the bike. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they said my riding style was a big part of the problem ( this may have been partly true ). But the wobble has not gone away and it makes descents in a race pretty nervy.

Similar Products Used: dawes giro
Madbikee   Road Racer [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Light, fast and strong frame. Compact frame gives excellent traction for rapid & steady climbs. Very responsive and sharp handling.

Decals - but only when they start to peel off!

Looks cool and mean in black and decals. The "Megatube" (downtube) is an eye catcher, especially with Ultegra R635 deep-profile aero wheels. Very fast on the open road. Fits me very well. Excellent value for money.

Similar Products Used: None.
Dominick McKaige   Triathlete [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Very light, execellent components, when going up steeper inclines you really notice just how light it is.

Would not call the wheels a weakness, but I think a wheel suited for daily ridding would be a better choice.

The bike is extremely light and for the most part very responsive. I would have preferred a less expensive wheel set, because the standard one's are just too nice to take be ridden daily.

EMMANUEL15   Road Racer [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

rigid,and 10 years waranty

looks like craks on the welded parts, and the shim wheels535 to heavy but strong

Really good bike for the price rigid and nervous and lightweight with my kzirium 8.4 kg not to bad for shimano 105.

Similar Products Used: specialized m2,look kg 171, altec2
Alex   Triathlete [Jan 22, 2003]
Strength:

Great value for the price with the 105 group components, the 535 wheelset, the carbon fork, and the Cinelli aerobars.

Finish could be nicer.

I've been riding this book for about eight months and I love it. It is very fast, and very light. I bought it as a compromise between getting a road bike and a tri-bike. Pull-off the Cinelli clip-on aerobars and you have a very fast road bike. The wheels are almost too nice to do anything but race in.

dchk   Road Racer [Oct 14, 2002]
Strength:

Lightness. Cheap.

Not that I know off.

Light bike, but needs getting used to cause had a carbon Trek 2500 previously. All in all, the bike is very responsive, no question about it. Still wondering if the aero fork improves speed. But Giant should have packaged the fork in all carbon and not just part of it. But it looks great anyway. Might wanna upgrade to the whole carbon frame later on.