Jamis Eclipse 2002 Road Bike

Jamis Eclipse 2002 Road Bike

[Apr 20, 2017]
Matt F

Strength:

Solid and reliable...until it wasn't.

Any part of the frame where carbon joins steel.

Bought a Jamis Quest from Performance Bike but after a year or two the frame cracked at seat tube so the shop replaced the frame with Eclipse. I thought the carbon forks and stays with remaining steel frame were a cool way to save weight. I don't think so anymore. Here's why.

1. The rear brake bridge (steel?) is presumably epoxied between the carbon seat stays. It worked fine until it didn't The brake bridge loosened from the stays and now I can't use the rear brakes.

2. The bottom left stay (the carbon tube going from bottom bracket to rear wheel) has come loose from the lug at the bottom bracket. Again, I presume it was epoxied. I can't ride the bike now.

So that is two places where a carbon to steel connection came loose presumably from failed epoxy. I spent over $1000 on this bike and expected it to last at least as long as my cheap but solid Scwhinns from childhood.

[Apr 27, 2010]
DaleG_007

Strength:

The steel frame and carbon fork combination is sensational. Fantastic ride characteristics.

Paint. Like I said, it looks great but is soft. It wasn't a deal breaker for me. I had heard this complaint before.

Top tube cables run on the underside. This is not a big deal, unless your car bike rack hangs the bike by the frame... like my hitch mounted Yakima rack. Use a cloth to protect the frame.

This is a stock 54 cm 2009 Eclipse as seen on the Jamis website. It was a floor model from a bike shop so virtually no miles when I got it through ebay. I had searched high and low to find this bike. After reading lots of reviews and comparing steel bikes, this was exactly what I was looking for.... which was (1) Steel (2) comfortable for long rides and (3) lightweight. It has met all these criteria. To top it off, I just love the classic styling and black and white paint.

I think the MSRP is waaay too steep for this bike. It is very nice, but overpriced at the shop. I was quite happy for the price I paid.

It took a while to set up, particularly the Fizik seat. I seen a lot of reviews that say "toss it", but I'm only 155 lbs and once it is adjusted correctly, it's actually not bad. I set it up on a wind trainer and moved it a few millimeters here and there to get it right.

The shifting is smooth and as expected from Ultegra. The compact 10 speed has it's ups and downs. There's a super granny gear for the big hills but when switching between the big and small ring, there needs to be a jump of about 4 cogs at the rear to make a smooth transition. This is just the drivetrain and has nothing to do with Jamis.

The steel frame is very light. Many of my friends gave me a hard time for choosing steel, but I have a 6 year old at home who bashes things so a carbon frame was out of the question. Aluminum's a bit too stiff for me and, call me cheap but I'm not paying for titanium. The Reynolds 853 is super at absorbing the road vibration and even a bit of the bigger bumps. The carbon fork probably helps soak up the buzz a lot too. If I wanted to improve anything, I might invest in a carbon seat post followed by bars to soak up the vibration a bit more. But for now, it's great.

It's an offshore welded frame. Things have a come a long way over the years. I don't doubt the strength of the welds (I'm a mechanical engineer), but I have seen prettier. The thickness of the bead varies a bit around some of the more visible welds. So, it's not Italian craftsmanship.

The paint job is classic. I like the black and white styling with the pearl lettering. Looks great, but gets dirty fast. Keep a rag handy. Also, if I have one problem with the bike, it's that the paint is very soft. It has a few nicks and chips, especially at the rear dropouts and the top tube (from leaning against things). I am very gentle about parking it for this reason.

The American Classic 420 wheels are good so far. I don't really have much to say about them. They look great and run true. Under hard acceleration I can hear the rear spokes rubbing a bit as they flex. So, if you're a heavy or torquey rider, you might want to be cautious. I suspect the rear spokes may just need a tightening if a few more miles.

The frame geometry is true and somewhere between laid back and twitchy. This is not a super relaxed geometry. I still have a bit of trouble riding without my hands. It runs straight but turns pretty fast just by leaning. I like the sloping top tube which allows for a little more length in the steerer tube. The steel flexes just enough, as it should.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it (for the price) and expect it to last me a long time.

It's been a while since I had a road bike. I've been a commuter/X-country mountain biker for too long.

[Oct 24, 2008]
Randall Ireland

Strength:

silky smooth and quiet ride
higher end components than you will find on bikes at this price
classic looks, yup it's sexy
stiff enough to get out of the saddle and hammer some hills

I had to have the rear wheel trued when I first got it (I'm really scraping here)

I'm 6'3", 180 pounds, and I have long arms, so when I look for a bike I look for a 61 frame. Those are hard to find in most bike shops so you end up doing a special order just to see if you like the bike. Some shops will do that other not so willing. I used to ride Cannondales, but the old ones beat the crap out of me to the point that I had to stop riding for almost a year to save the wrists and elbows. A friend suggested steel so I went shopping, found a Jamis Dakota that I love, then a Jamis Coda, which I love even more. But this time around I was looking for a quick road machine. I started asking around and most people said Specialized Roubaix. I had to order on and I road my Coda to the shop when it came in. They took the measurements off my Coda and matched them up with the Roubaix. Five minutes later I was flying down the road. I hated it! It was loud (Ithink the road buzz echoes in the frame), didn't track that well, and to my surprise didn't climb that much better than my Coda. Took it back to the shop, said no thank you, and went online and ordered the Eclipse. Two days later I had the bike. Here's what I know; Jamis makes great bike at a fair price, I love steel, the Eclipse puts my Coda to shame when it comes to road speed. The bike just flys, tracks great, climbs great (even out of the saddle), and the descents are a rush, so smooth and quiet. The 61 frame fits me perfect, but if you don't have to special order shirts you may want to go down one size. Get one while you can because Jamis doesn't make them anymore. My bike came with Campy drive train, which I've never had before. It's works perfectly. I like the fact I can trim the front derailer and I like the buttons on the hoods. Some reviews complained about the paint and I have chips where frame meets seat post but that's it. Not a big deal to me.

My Coda is the closest as far as smooth ride, but they are different animals

[Jul 24, 2008]
dave schank

Strength:

frame, ride, 3 ringe, ultegre

after 1500 miles, NONE. new seat, hanger, cables, regular tuneups. that's it!

i'm now 62 years old.i put in about 3000 miles a year riding in the mountians of colorado. the steele ride of a reynolds 853 frame, coupeled with carbon fiber fork, chain stay, & seat stay is beautiful for an old guy like me. i'm a p. t. & stay in shape. there is NO WAY i'd trade in this bike for another unless i won the lottery!ultegra, mavic. top of the line, great bike with more bang for the buck big time! ds

cannondale 5500

[Jan 10, 2008]
RDD

Strength:

Comfort of ride
Good value
Beautiful bike

Issue paint chipping as above
46 yo 175 lb owner/"cyclist"

Had been riding a Cannondale R-400 2002 and older schwinn Voyager ~ 1983( steel ).
The combination steel and carbon fiber was very appealing . When looking at 2008 Jamis , it appears the eclipse carbon steel was no longer to be available , so jumped at getting my hands on the great looking 2007. Preceeding comments of comfort have been right on . Did have some chipping paint at nut that tightens seat post which had been commented on prior reviews. Ultregra shifters and " compact " duel chain ring have been flawless. Have not missed the triple chain ring that is on the r-400.
Carbon fiber crank arms are very cool .
Have been very pleased .

as above

[Aug 12, 2007]
Chris

Strength:

Great components, wheelset, and fork.

A touch on the heavy side, but it's worth it for the ride.

Great bike. Smooth ride. Reliable, fast. Need I say more.

[Jul 27, 2007]
ifeeleverypedal

Strength:

- 8 out of 10 on power transfer but 10 out of 10 on momentum transfer
- gorgeous aesthetics
- comfortable

- power transfer on ascents not instant

Legnth of riding: 55 miles. Had the bike for about 2 weeks now. Ridden 27 miles via 4.5 loop around Hoboken. Also ridden around central park twice (6 mile loop). Ridden during Nautica NYC Triathlon (26 miles).

Aesthetics: If you like steel and carbon, there is no other combination worth looking at other than the Serotta Fierte that is steel with carbon in the same areas as the Eclipse look as good as the Eclipse and that's because the way the carbon is layered. The Eclipse is gorgeous, aside from one bike I have seen on the road, there is no comparison. Some bikes are more hi-tech looking but there is not a sexier bike on the planet.

Summary of Ride: I've pretty much learned just the basics of cycling through gears on this bike, pre-hand I've ridden a mountain bike with a fork (atom bomb v2.0) that soaked up nearly everything and a litespeed tuscany 2005.

This bike rides harsh, but I believe it's only due to the pressure in the tires. Aside from the tires, there is a slight buttery undertone to it, the initial impact of hitting the worst roads known to man, way beyond cobblestone seems cushioned initially as if the frame is storing and spreading the energy throughout the frame as much as possible...the hits where i live are too much for the frame to soak up alone and what ends up happening is tremendous jolts of shock traveling upwards and throughout my body...keep loose like riding a bmx bike and its smooth...i do feel comfortable going in excess of 40 mph down hills and it has the braking power to stop me just in time to raise up out of the aero bar position to float over holes in the roads..i can feel the frame load up and spring forward as opposed to instant transfer like the litespeed...the bike seems to transfer power and momentum carried by the frame through ascents with effort occurring initially...extremely long gradual hills seem to be its greatest weakness (although this could easily be me and not the bike) it's on the descents that this bike really performs well, it allows me to hit speeds over 40 mph and keeps the power well throughout rolling hills...i love this bike, it truly makes me a better rider...very comfortable over distances thus far...this is a very initial review

-litespeed tuscany

[Aug 03, 2006]
Ali Bangash

Strength:

Very Stable
Steady and responsive
Light
Fast
SEXY as hell

Dont take it out in rain, if you must spray the frame with the "Frame-saver" spray.

This is tighter than a nun...

Look I built this bike from scratch. This is the sweetest bike I have ever ridden. I bike daily, all times of the day, through the ghettos and gang-infested-streets of Baltimore at 20-25 miles/ hr on average.

The steel-carbon combination is amazingly stable especially considering the state Baltimore's roads are in. The bike has given a maximum of 47.5 m/hr on a moderate downslope.

I am planning on taking this bike on a ride across America one day.

Aluminum/ steel bikes of all sort, a few mountain bikes as well

[Aug 03, 2006]
Ali Bangash

Strength:

Very Stable
Steady and responsive
Light
Fast
SEXY as hell

This is tighter than a nun...

I am planning on taking this bike on a ride across America one day.

Aluminum/ steel bikes of all sort, a few mountain bikes as well

[Jan 15, 2006]
dsops00

Strength:

Total package. Great workmanship. Great handling. Classic styling. Crank, wheels, tires, frame, saddle, stem. Like every component. Jim at J&J was also excellent.

I'll post again next labor day after 1000 miles or so. None so far.

Road for the first time this week with the weather in the 60's in January. Sweat ride. Very smooth, very responsive. I had been riding a Bianchi Eros, all steel. The combo of the carbon and the steel seems idea. The TruVativ Carbon crank is also excellent, though I do tend to find that my left shoe rubs the crank on occaision. (Top strap of shoe.) Love the Mavic wheels also. The Fizik saddle suits me nicely also. All around great bike for the money.

Bianchi Eros.