Moots Cycles Vamoots 2002 Road Bike

Vamoots

Redpants   Recreational Rider [Dec 17, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff in the right places, the right amount of compliance in other places. Outstanding machine.

cost? you get what you pay for

I have about 10,000 miles on this bike, bought new, so I figured it was time. It's broken in and I can comment fairly on the bike. I am a fast recreational rider, 50+, aspire to push the pace and finish at the top of the climbs of my B+ club rides by the end of the summer :)

This 2004 Vamoots is a unquestionably a great bike. I worked my way through g-school working in an LBS (and working for a rider who was on the '72 Olympic team) so I got a chance to ride some great bikes (C'dales, Paramounts, Pinarellos among others) and learned something about bikes - and I absolutely love the Vamoots. Never fails to put a smile on my face. I liken the ti to novacaine at the dentists office: costs more, hurts at first, but then you see things coming that should hurt and they don't. I spent the first 500 miles looking for holes and ruts to ride over - just amazed at how comfortable, solid and predictable the bike rides. On rides with friends I've seen other frames start to wobble and chatter on downhills. Never an issue with the Moots - fast, responsive and predictable. Fast uphill, fast down. Does what you tell it to do. Goes where you point it. I love long rides (100+ mi) and this bike has always been a joy to be on. I'm the kind of rider who just goes - if the perfect route on the map turns to dirt and sand in real life, I don't care I just keep going. Been hit by a car, jumped off the road a few times, a couple of falls - no matter.

p.s. - if you are reading this, you are thinking about spending a ridiculous amount of $ on a bike. Hey, if this amounts to a paycheck or mortgage payment :) be sure to get a great fit. If the best the shop owner can do is tell you to straddle the bike or do the forearm measure to the stem, "whaddya think??" go elsewhere with your piggy bank. You deserve a much better fitting than that. Do your homework and ask many many questions. Talk to friends who ride a lot. Scott at Evo Pro bikes gave me a great fitting that has made a huge difference in my riding.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Paramount, Trek (test ridden), others
Kevin Moon   Recreational Rider [Dec 16, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff in the right places,compliant in others. Outstanding machine.

I have about 10,000 miles on this bike, so I figured it was broken in and I could comment fairly on the bike. I am a fast recreational rider, 50+, aspire to push the pace of my B+ club rides by the end of the summer :)

This is a great bike - this is a 2004 Vamoots. I worked my way through g-school working in a lbs, (and working for an rider who was in the '72 olympics) so I got a chance to ride some great bikes (C'dales, Paramounts, Pinarellos and other) and learned something about bikes - and I absolutely love the Vamoots. Never fails to put a smile on my face. I liken the ti to novacaine at the dentists office: hurts at first, costs more, but then you see things coming that should hurt and they don't. I spent the first 500 miles looking for holes and ruts to ride over - just amazed at how solid and predictable the bike rides. On rides with friends I've seen other frames start to wobble and chatter on downhills. Never an issue with the Moots - solid, fast, responsive and predictable. Fast uphill, fast down. Does what you tell it to do. I love long rides (100+ mi) and this bike has been very comfortable.

P.s. - if you are looking to put a paycheck or two in a bike, be sure to get a great fit. If the best the shop owner can do is tell you to straddle the bike or do the forearm measure to the stem, go elsewhere with your piggy bank. Scott at Evo Pro bikes gave me a great fitting that has made a huge difference in my riding.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Prologue
Allan   Road Racer [Aug 15, 2004]
Strength:

Make no mistake about it, this frameset is BEAUTIFUL, whether just hanging on a wall or riding it, the quality oozes from this work of art. It does everything well and the performance is outstanding.

I should have bought it sooner

I bought this custom built Vamoots framset so i could combine the geometry and general dimensions of two frames i had previously owned.

Similar Products Used: no other Ti frames used previously
Jomadaka   Recreational Rider [Jan 09, 2004]
Strength:

It's drop dead gorgeous. The pure joy of riding.

Other than the (gulp) expense, I have yet to think of one. Even in light of the expense, I think it is worth it. It is a racing geometry so don't expect a relaxed Grant Peterson type of build. But it is comfortable.

I love this bike. I have been a recreational club rider for almost 20 years and was looking for a light and fast, but comfortable bike for fast club rides and pure enjoyment. I climb a lot, and this bike doesn't flex on climbs or chatter on descents. Instead, it sings. Yes, the welds are perfect and that matters, but the geometry, material, and precision of the Moots build are what make this bike work.

Similar Products Used: Bridgestone Radac, Cannondale, Giant Cadex; started with a Schwinn Prelude (nice starter bike)
Jeff   Recreational Rider [Jan 06, 2004]
Strength:

Rideable art

zip

This bike is beautiful! I never get tired of looking at it... or riding it. I love everything about this bike. It's light (about 16.9lbs as currently set up), quick, climbs, comfortable on any length of ride. I don't have much to add to the other reviews. I agree with what the other reviewers have said (best welds, uniqueness, stiff chain stays and breezer dropouts help overcome ti's tendency to otherwise be a little flexy, terrific ride quality, etc., etc.)

Similar Products Used: Calfee Tetra Pro, Giant TCRs, Fuji Professional, Merlin...
RCole   Recreational Rider [Aug 07, 2003]
Strength:

The ride. Comfortable yet stiff. The finish of this frame is awesome. To me the Litespeeds look a bit tinny. It just edges out Merlin's "copperish" finish and everyone mentions the welds. Well, I don't think their any better structurally than Litespeed or Merlin but they sure look better!

Owned a number of nice Ti frames searching for the "Holy Grail", including a LS Vortex, LS Ultimate, Merlin XL Compact, and the Vamoots. In the end the Moots offered everything I was looking for - the right combo of stiffness and comfort. On the plus side, Moots is not a very often - seen frame in So Cal. I've also come to admire the craftmanship that Moots offers compared to some very capable Ti manufacturers. I would hesitate to recommend Moots, the company - for their service, and the frame for its ride.

Similar Products Used: As mntioned above - Vortex, Ulitmate, Merlin XL Compact.
michaeldecaluwe   Recreational Rider [Jul 24, 2003]
Strength:

The frame and all components are top-shelf. VaMoots Frame: plenty stiff and cofortable, you could hang it on the wall as art. Campagnolo Chorus Group: In all honesty, I don't believe there is any better, I can't imagine what they could do to better this group, oh ya drop the price. The whhels are bomb-proof, light "enough", and stiff. Moots Ti Beam stem: Carbon shmarbon, this is the best stem made, light and STIFF.

I would only change the handlebars for one reason, the flat part of the drop is not long enough for my hands, other than that, these bars are excellent and plenty stiff. No other weaknesses!

I have over 500 miles on this bike, and thereis nothing else that I have ridden that comes close. Yes, welds are outstanding, so big deal, you can't ride the welds. O.K. the Breezer dropouts are the collest, simplest, cleanest, around; who cares (and the more you look at them, the smaller they get). The chainstays could support a M1A1, what about it? And the Bike as a whole looks like you could hang it in the Louvre, does it really matter? Campagnolo has more Industrial Designers working on crank design than Ferrari has on the payroll, nobody cares. But, if you take all these things and create one bicycle, it truely is an incredible machine. Smooth on chip-and-seal, stiff in climbs, responsive on the slight uphill sprints (you know the ones). Campagnolo will shift (up or down) under extreme load, and do it with ease.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale (used, not similar) however very nice stiff, rocksolid bike
Bisikletci   Road Racer [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Vamoots SL lighter and stiffer than Vamoots 3/5 frame. Stable and comfortable. Excellent all-round bicycle for long rides and racing. Vibration dampening at par with carbon. Excellent road feel. Incredible welds.

None.

I was looking to diversify by material (have carbon frames up to now), so decided to look into titanium frames. Initially, leaning towards Merlin, Litespeed and Seven. LBS mentioned Moots. I started researching and was intrigued by the reviews. Interviewed some friends who ride Moots and was very impressed by their comments. since all these bikes are expensive. I decided to drop the cash and get the best that I could. Not having ridden seriosuly with a ti frame before, I was expecting to switch between the Moots and my Trek as rides required, but I have yet to go back to my old frame. Maybe the novelty of the Moots has not worn off. Whatever it may be, I have yet to skip more than a day of riding. A bicycle of this calibre and quality motivates you to ride. Excellent customer service. Highly recommend this bicycle.

Similar Products Used: 2000 Trek 5200 (std set-up), Seven Axiom, Serotta Legend Ti, Calfee Tetra Pro