Motobecane Record 2002 Road Bike

• Colors White Silver

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 10, 2010]
    mn.Tom

Strength:

Unbleiveable Value - Rock steady solid dependable, Smooth and comfortable ride.
    The Skye seat was a wonderful suprise, very comfortable.

AlexRims not up to the quality of the rest of the bike, very high spoke counts and still have more flex than I would like. they will be upgraded before spring. As has B.D. with the 2010 model you Vuelta rims for a little more money.
    I have replaced the headset for the same type of quality issue, just not very good, with a higher quality same brand Cane Creek.

I spent hours researching on line and visited 4 shops with spec sheets to compare with Specialized, Trek, and Felt. I found that when compared to similar products, B.D. was always the best value. My 2009 Mirage Pro with Sora, Tiagra, FSA, and Skye components has performed flawlessly! I have loged 1500 miles without any troubles. It is fast, light (about 20 lbs.) and requires less "tinkering" to keep in tune than my riding partners much more expensive rigs.

Raleigh, Univega, Trek, Fuji

[Jun 26, 2008]
    Brad

Strength:

The aluminum frame with carbon forks create a nice smooth ride, and for a bike purchased for less than $1000 it was worth every penny.

The Alexrims are junk so be prepared to upgrade your wheels almost immediatley.

I purchased this bike as an introductory road bike. It was easily assembled with a few basic tools, and the adjustments were minor from the factory. It came with carbon forks and cranks and the Shimano Sora line of shifters. The wheels were Alexrims DA22. It has performed beyond my expectations for a bike in this price point, although the Alexrims are junk. I blew the front and rear tires on the first ride, and a catastrophic failure orrured on the rear wheel. In short this is a great bike for the price but be prepared to make upgrades as you go.

[May 12, 2008]
    derwoodski

Strength:

Carbon Fork, Tiagra Rear Derailleur, newer Sora STI shifters, Aluminum frame, triple crankset, clipless pedals.

No LBS support

This review is for the 2009 Motobecane Record. I wanted a modern road bike (on a budget) to replace my very old raleigh. A friend recommended Motobecane, and i found that the bikes to be well equipped for the price. Bikes from Bikes direct come partially assembled (had to install front wheel, front brakes,and bars, and adjust derailleurs) but the assembly was easy if you are comfortable wrenching on your own. (not a bad Idea to have your work checked by your local bike shop). The fit and finish on the bike was excellent and the 2009 is a 27 speed as opposed to 24 for the earlier models, has a carbon fork, tiagra RD, and skye seat, stem and hubs with alexrims DA-22 wheels. The 09 also came with wellgo clipless pedals. Tektro brakes, Cane Creek head bearings and a truvative triple crankset round out the equipment. The bike is light, smooth, and a joy to ride. The newer sora sti shifters have a trim click for the front derailleur that is great for triple cranks (see shimano's site on 3400 shifters)that controls chain noise. It feels very solid on the road, tracks well and is not overly harsh due to the carbon fork. For the price I am extremely pleased with this bike, looking in the local shops, I couldn't find anything with a carbon fork for less than $900. The first 100 miles flew by in a week, and I am riding more than ever because it is enjoyable on this bike. This bike would be an excellant choice for an entry level to experienced road rider.

Raleigh Sport, 1986 Raleigh Record, 1976 Relaigh Record.

[Jul 26, 2007]
    Jay

Strength:

Great value

Sora shifters, clunky Kenda contender tires.

This is the first bike I have ever owned. I was looking at getting into road cycling but didn't want to invest too much money just in case I wasn't disciplined enough. After a long hard search for an entry level bike, I came to the conclusion that bikes in many ways were like PCs. A lot of the major manufacturers use the same components/frames/etc. Turns out the same applied to road bikes, especially when looking for the sub $700 entry level category. The Record is equipped with the same Sora components and even comes with a Tiagra rear derailleur. A 7005 Aluminum frame, FSA crank set. Sure it doesn't have a carbon seatpost, but does that justify the $200 mark-up??? I guess that's up to you to decide. Anyway, $2000 miles later, its the best money I have ever spent. The customer service at Cycle Spectrum is top-notch as well, they even gave me a free cyclometer.

[Aug 01, 2006]
    mojorison_75

Strength:

1.Quality at an affordable price
    2.It's a cool looking bike(I like the Mobecane headbadge)
    3.Fairly simple to assemble

1. Can be confusing to assemble due to inadequate instructions and(in my experience)vauge blanket email responses as bad as the instructions.

This is my second "real" bike, so I don't have a wealth of knowlege to draw from, but as far as I'm concerned this is a great bike. I've been using this bike for recreational riding and a 12 mile round trip commute for the past few weeks and it has solidly out performed my old 75 Schwinn.

The frame is nice, the paint is nice, the components are quality and it was very affordable.

The assembly was pretty easy, though I did get a little confused when I started putting the handle bars on and securing the fork. For anyone wondering you have to put the front wheel, front brake, handle bars and seat/seattube on yourself. It's not that bad, I just couldn't get the headset tight(fork had play in it). The manual is pretty generic and won't help you much at all when it comes to the headset and handlebars. I emailed Bikesdirect to ask what I might be doing wrong and got a very vauge answer back. Luckily I had already figured out what I was doing wrong(I just needed to add another spacer to get the headset tight), because the reply I got back would have gotten me nowhere.

The front derailleur also needed adjusted before the chain would go onto the largest front ring, but it wasn't that difficult, although I have had some trouble with the front derailleur rubbing, so I'm going to take it to a bike shop and have it properly adjusted, which will cost me under 10 bucks. I've also had a little trouble shifting between the front rings, but I think this is an adjustment issue as well.

If you're looking for a quality bike and are on a budget like me, I'd definately suggest checking out Motobecane or the other Bikesdirect products. If you can but together the gas grill you bought at Wal-Mart you can put this bike together, just don't expect any wisdom from Bikesdirect if you get stuck. Even if you pay a bikshop to put it together it's a good deal. Buy a bike that you can afford and then give your LBS all of your service and accessory business. Everybody wins.

1975 Schwinn Continental
    198? Schwinn Caliente
    2006 Motobecan Elite

[Jun 09, 2006]
    Scott

Strength:

Very Cheap and rides like a more expensive bike. There is nothing like passing people riding bikes that cost thousands of dollars more than yours.

some of the components need replacing such as seat, personal preference, and I found the handlebars to be very uncomfortable.

Love the bike. I am in college and couldnt afford to spend a lot of money on a road bike so I purchased the motobecane record. It rides very smooth and is fast. Great bike!!

[Apr 21, 2003]
    snokilla

Strength:

carbon fork, cheap, good components...

slightly heavy, the seat takes getting used to...

Needed a road bike for going to work. just graduated, mountain bike got stolen... I told the guy at the shop i wanted a low end road bike for commuting and the occasional rec ride. he showed me a trek and the record, both the same price. exact same components. exact same aluminum frame. except the motobecane had the carbon fork. i tried both, the carbon fork created an incredible difference in stopping road vibration.

trek something or other... the carbon fork is the difference.

[Apr 03, 2003]
    cjhilton

Strength:

Great bike, great price, great bike shop and best of all is the guy Mike at the buke shop who has done all the up grade work for me quickly so I can stay riding. Thanks Mike

Motobecane does not make things like shirts, hats and other accessories. Bike starts out kind of heavy at over 25 pounds.

Motobecane is the best bike you can buy for the money. If you want to start cheep and work up. Enjoyed the bike and have replaced the Sora componets with all Ultegra, new Mavic wheels and Continental tires, Gel Flight sadel, Easton EC90 carbon bars and the bike is light and fast. I have less than $1500 in the bike and have seen other bikes with the same setup going for over $2300. I an looking at getting a Motobecane Nemesis for riding in Triathelons. I have about a 1000 miles on my bike now and love it.

Looked and tested about every entry level road bike out there.

[Oct 23, 2002]
    FLORIDA SALLY

Strength:

GOOD LOOKING - GOOD WARRANTY - GREAT RIDE

CLOSEST DEALER IS OVER 25 MILES AWAY

I PURCHASED THIS BIKE FOR THE COMFORT - I RODE SEVERAL ROAD BIKES FROM $500 TO $1000 AND THE MOTOBECANE RECORD RODE THE BEST. ALSO SEEMED LIKE A GREAT DEAL

TREK RALEIGH IRON HORSE

[Oct 20, 2002]
    lucy wu

Strength:

Light Aluminum bike with very good components. Lots of gear options and a great feel.

None that I know of (except one guy at shop flirted with me and made me nervous)

I looked for months for a nice road bike - everything good was $1000 or more. Then I saw my Motobecane - I got it at once. Rides great, looks great, works great. I am very impressed with the value and quality.

Trek, Fuji, Raleigh