Serotta Sports Inc. Legend Ti 2002 Road Bike

Serotta Sports Inc. Legend Ti 2002 Road Bike

The Legend Ti is the frame that sets the standard for high-performance, high-tech titanium bicycles. When the Legend Ti was introduced in 1993, it was the first and only titanium frameset with double-butted tubing and the tapered tube design Serotta had proven so effective in steel. In its first season on the road, the Legend Ti earned its name. It was ridden to more US victories (under the capable handling of the Coors Professional Race Team) than any other bicycle...Ever.

[Sep 01, 2011]
ahsere

Strength:

Great looking, smooooth and stiff, light for ti and just great all around. Ride quality, durability, performance, timeless elegance. For tech buffs, interesting, individually shaped tubing. The full package.

Only one I can think of is the price. If you´re not like me, you can pay a lot for a new one and never buy another bike again. If you´re like me and like to have many different bikes, it is hard to justify paying so much for one of them. Oh, and you won´t leave Cavendish in the dust in the final sprint of a TdF stage aboard one of these... but neither will you on a 9 pound carbon wonder, for that matter.

After two years, thousands of miles and a few centuries I think I can write an objective review. The bike is the most wonderful all-rounder I´ve had. The ride quality is incomparable -a friend from my bike club took a short ride in it and decided on the spot that he wanted one, literally after a few hundred meters! I bought it (2007 model) complete online like new for a song, it is incredible that these bikes go so relatively cheap second hand, probably because they´re custom and people don´t know what to expect from something that was made for a completely different rider. So it was not custom made for me, bu I took the chance because the measures were right and it fits like a glove, although a shorter head tube would have gone better with my racing fantasies, and would have been less comfortable for sure... It is stiff as a brick and incredibly compliant at the same time, great climber despite being 17.5 pounds with the Ultegra build and a better descender -I really think descending doesn´t get any better than this, I´ve gotten to 52 mph with no worries other than wetting my shorts from looking at the computer screen... The Serotta fork is so good you really forget is there, it just does everything is supposed to do perfectly. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that my only gripe is that I don´t have the cash to get one custom made for me. I have other great bikes that I love but this is my weapon of choice for 60 plus rides, centuries and the like. And for the price I paid I think it totally is the best deal ever.

Temple Colibri, Specialized Roubaix, Trek 5000, Waterford 1200, Klein Quantum

[Jun 07, 2011]
Greg Titus

Strength:

Uncompromising quality in every detail of the frame and fork. Worth the $

The carbon seat stays have a bearing inside where the stays attach to the frame. These are designed to absorb road shock (they do!), but will eventually wear out and need to be replaced (maybe every 2-3 yrs).

Got this Serotta Legend SE (titanium) w/Serotta's F3 fork & carbon seat stays. Aesthetically a very pleasing look, and rides like the dream I thought it would be. How much of that is due to the fantastic bike fit that Get a Grip Cycles in Chicago did for me, or the uncompromising quality of Serotta's work, don't know. But put them together and my forever bike has me grinning from ear to ear. The frame & fork are very nearly perfect in every way (welds, alignment, geometry, tubing, etc.). Yeah, pricey, but YES! worth it! So stable and smooth on the road, but light, responsive. Just can't say enough how pleased I am. Have ridden it for almost 6,000 mi & still love to get on it every time I roll out.

Litespeed Tuscany titanium (for 11 yrs)

[Oct 13, 2004]
cpark

Strength:

Stiffness,Ride,Comfort,Strength,Fit,Corrosion/Rust/Bullet Proof.

Might not have any excuse for buying another bike(trust me I want a Cervelo P3). Could be a bit lighter Can be expensive....

Finest bike your money can buy!! I have owned over 30 bikes since I started cycling after witnessing Greg Lemond's victory in World Champion Road Race in 1983 and NOBODY does it better. My last 3 bikes were Serotta. I'm a 180lbs sprinter and nothing bugs me more than any flex. This is stiffest bike money can buy. Sometime stiff bike can ride harsh but this one rides like a steel bike with tubular tires. Got the bike from the bike shop I raced for and got it to fit me(custom) instead of getting your body to fit the stock bike by changing stem and moving saddle around. One suggestion for anyone who is looking to buy a new bike. NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CUSTOM BIKE. Handles like a sports car and has a ride of a Luxury car. Might be the last bike I buy. After 3 crashes last 4 years this thing still rides and looks like brand new. Not the lightest bike out there but probably stiffest and strongest. Along with F1 Carbon frok and bigger tubes I added Serotta Custom painted threadless Ti stem(weigh about 120 grams) for the bike and it looks sweet!!! I don't like to go with lightest component for stem,handlebar and any parts that could put me in hazardous situation if it breaks(riding/racing is plenty hazardous enough) but I felt confident with Serotta Ti Stem.

Cannondale,LiteSpeed,Merlin,Seven,Dean...

[Mar 18, 2003]
cincy1

Strength:

Fit, geometry, innovative carbon seat stays with pivots on rear dropouts

None. Absolutely none.

This bike is the ultimate expression of the art of frame building. Road bumps melt away. The ride is smooth but has not a hint of BB flex under stress. It's stable as a limo but quick to maneuver. Last bike I'll ever own (Have you heard this before?)

Lemond Zurich Litespeed Ultimate

[Mar 02, 2003]
nerf

Strength:

Does what you want and a little more.

None, if you buy it right.

All the hype aside, this is a fine frame. Its every bit as stiff as a LS Vortex (stiffer through the BB) and fit & finish are excellent. I would not could pay retail for it sam I am, or any other high end frame for that matter. It is an all day machine and climbs very well. Its is not quite as "smooth" as my 00' C40, but it seems to put all your energy to the road. On centuries with hills, I grab the Legend, on fast flat smooth roads I'll take the Colnago. They are bery close and if I had to live with one bike (acKKKK!) i'd take the Serotta.

C40, Fondriest, Pinarello, Trek (junk) OCLV

[Oct 15, 2002]
Toerless

Strength:

Fit, BB stiffness, precise handling, smooth! Wonderful custom service from Ben, Lori, Kelly, et. al

Price, with the caveat that a true custom frame is worth a great deal. If, however, the geometry and tubing on a frame such as a LeMond suit your needs, you could save a great deal of money.

This is an absolutely phenomenal bike. The BB stiffness, responsiveness, handling, and comfort are unsurpassed. Any true review of the bike should be of a full custom frame. Ben & Co. can accomodate anyone from a relative lightweight like myself to 220+ lb. riders without compromises. I have ridden this bike over 200 miles on multiple occassions, ridden through the Black Forest and the Dolomites, and the smile gets broader with every mile (well, some of the climbs still hurt a bit). I don't really know if its the tubing as the folks at Serotta claim, but they really understand how to make a bike that fits to perfection, and has great torsional stiffness with just enough vertical give (this is a good thing). To be sure, there are lighter bikes out there, but my frame is light enough (under 3 lbs) and I have not found another bike that rides as well as my Legend.

Seven, LeMond

[Aug 31, 2002]
jacjetlag

Strength:

All day comfort.The fit.Nice welds and finish.Marketing mythology and cult following.

It's heavy and expensive.Flexiness.

Nice bike,but is it worth what most people pay(upwards of $5000)? No. Alot of people love their bikes and pay alot less for them.Fit is very important,but unless you have a very strange physique,there are quite a few bikes that can fit you quite well.Fess up Serotta fans,you are paying for a name.It's not going to do more for you than any other high end bike,and you can get more for your money elsewhere.Don't get me wrong,it's a fine machine,rides great,lasts a long time,less filling...blah,blah.Is it the best bike made?Depends on who you talk to.Is it one of many...yes.

Fondriest,Litespeed,Specialized E-5,M-4

[Aug 08, 2002]
Dave Bennett

Strength:

Light,stiff and very fast. Also a lot smoother than any other ride I tested.

None unless you consider the cost but I guess you get what you pay for. I have no complaints.

I want to thank Eric at Bicycle Link for the time he spent with me to get a perfect fit. I'm not your standard road bike rider. I'm 5'10", 205#, with a 29" inseam so you can see why the fit was so important and why I went for a custome frame.This is my first road bike.For the last two years I've been riding a Giant NRS 1 ( also a great ride) but when my distances constantly were exceeding 25 miles it was clear the a different ride was in order.I look for two months at a lot of different bikes and I just could not get a good fit. After alot of soul searching (because of the cost)and my conversations with Eric I opted for the Serrota Legend. I have nothing to compare it to. But it fits and the ride is great. My first three rides were 53,25 and 32 miles and all was great.

None except for many test rides.

[Aug 06, 2002]
Tim

Strength:

It's solid as a rock at 55mph, light as a feather and excelerates like a rocket. The butted tubes and rider specific tubeset makes all the difference. You get what you pay for here.

It doesn't climb hills by itself, I still have to pedal.

Couldn't be happier!!! It was a lot of money to part with but worth every penny. I'm a big guy at 6'5", 215lbs. I have over 2k on the bike already, and I can't wait to get on it tonight.

Lemond, Maillot Jaune; Pinarello, Prince