Seven Cycles Axiom 2002 Road Bike

Axiom

Bicycling magazines have called the Axiom "the best bike I’ve ever ridden," and a "two-wheeled work of art." Available in custom geometry or in 24 stock sizes ranging from 44 to 67 cm, the Axiom is fabricated from our own proprietary butted 3-2.5 Argen™ titanium tube set. Artfully curved seat stays and oversized chain stays work together to impart a lively yet comfortable ride balanced by the stiffest drivetrain in the industry. The result is a thoroughbred that literally hundreds of customers have told us is the best bike they have ever ridden.

montaltoj   Recreational Rider [Nov 17, 2010]
Strength:

Bike is responsive and comfortable to ride. It is strong and has survived some falls and recently an encounter with a car.

No weaknesses to speak of. The bike is costly but if you put in a lot of road miles it is worth it.

Purchased the Axiom SL in March of 2002. Originally set up with Campy record and Rolf Sestriere wheels, Wound up fork. Currently have over 52000 miles, and ride 800+miles a month on this bike. Have ridden several 100 mile rides on it. It was custom fitted to my specifcations that, obviously, worked out very well. Have had the bike refurbished 2X and it looks factory new after that process.

Similar Products Used: Prior to Seven I had a Trek 2120. That bike pointed out the need for a custom bike.
nbtom   Recreational Rider [Feb 08, 2005]
Strength:

Gorgeous, silky smooth, comforatble and responsive. Makes me want to ride.

Expensive but well worth it.

Here's the deal: I'm an old overweight guy who discovers he is diabetic. First step lose weight and get the diabetes under control. I do this (70 pounds worth) and decide to reward myself with a new bike. Talking to my LBS about getting a real road bike to replace my aged roadified hybrid Cannodale. First words out of their mouths is "Seven. You need a Seven" I looked around, checked it out and said "It's the last bike I'll ever buy. Time to treat myself to a good one." Am I glad I did. So I bought a ti Seven Axiom. I went through the fitting process and sent the specs off. Instead of doing the interview over the phone, I paid a visit to the factory which happens to be less than an hour from me. They showed around and introduced me tp the people who would be building my bike. Very nice people who seem to care a lot about the bikes they produce. A month or so later, my bike was ready for me. Aftger riding it for about a year, my hope is that someday the rider will be good enough to make the bike approach it's limits. This hasn't happened yet. Responsiveness: It want to go. When I start to push and accelerate, it springs ahead like it waiting for this. My co-star tried it and remarked "It won't go slow". Ride: Silky smooth. I ride RAGBRAI and finish each day with a smile on my face. I find myself smiling a lot on this bike. Fit and finish: It went with me on a 10 day business trip to Orlando. There was a Harley convention at our hotel. The bike got several "beautiful bike" comments. Folks wanted to know more about it. It's gorgeous. Would I do it again? Yes. Knowing what I know now, I'd do it in a second. I find that I now make excuses to ride instead of excuses to not ride. What more can I ask of any bike? WOuld I get the same result with other high-end bikes? Don't know but that I get that result with this one is enough for me.

DomD   Recreational Rider [Nov 25, 2004]
Strength:

Fast, agile and incredibly comfortable.

None so far

This is the Bentley Continental GT of road bikes!

Similar Products Used: Condor Barrachi EM2 Klein Quantum Race
JSiart   Recreational Rider [Oct 13, 2004]
Strength:

The bike instantly accelerates, the ride is buttery smooth and the handling is quick and agile. With the custom fit I'm always comfortable. PERFECT!!!

I have 1,500 miles so far and have not found anything to be unhappy with.

I'm 6'2" 220lb, and ride in century's and fast training rides. I wanted a new bike to replace my Allez that was too small and soft. Most bikes on the market did not offer all the characteristics I was looking for, so that led me to consider a custom frame. I have always been impressed with the look of Seven frames. I talked with many Seven owners and did not find anyone who felt unhappy with their bike or that they should of gone with another bike. Roadbike review included.

Similar Products Used: 1985 Specialized Allez Steel Lugged Frame with Dura-Ace 9 Speed, Mavic Open Pro Wheels, Fizik Aliante Saddle
dctrofspin   Road Racer [Feb 16, 2004]
Strength:

Once you've gone custom, you can't go back -- the fit is amazing. Gorgeous Ti polished finish. Perfect welds. Stiff, yet highly comfortable. The Seven buying experience. The feeling that you and the bike are one.

Not the lightest bike at this price for sure, but nothing I've seen does so many things so well.

Having spent the past year on a Cannondale CAAD5 aluminum frame, I decided to start the hunt for a bike that could deliver the raw stiffness of the C'dale without the harshness that aluminum tends to have. I wanted the ability to run a crit, but yet be able to do a double-century in realtive comfort. I looked at Lemond steel/carbon, Giant TCR, Colnago C-40 and a few others. In the end, the only way was custom based on what I wanted. The process of buying the Seven was as tremendous fun -- they listen to everything you say, ask the questions you never thought of, and then deliver the recommendation. I was good to go on the first sitting on the fit cycle with the premliminary specs. From there I got to follow the progress of the frame on line, which was great. In the end, Seven delivered the frame right on the schedule they promised...about four weeks start to finish. As for the ride...it's like a marathon runner finding out he's been using two left shoes for all these years. From the first turn of the Dura-Ace 10-speed crank, I knew it was all worthwhile. The Ti frame just sucks up the bumps...SO smooth. The fit is amazing, the stiffness delightful, I never thought that it could be this good. Listen to me...no really, listen closely....GO BUT THIS FRAME! You won't go wrong. It's worth the dough...sure, with the full set-up it cost as much as a Korean car, but hey, it's worth it!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale CAAD5
SteveS   Recreational Rider [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

Smart looking, light, and built as you wish it. Classic and timeless design. After 5 years, no regrets (except that I didn't opt for Durace in the beginning). Dealer worked closely with Seven in the design process.

Poor decals at the time (1999). Need to add color with saddle, bar tape, tires. Replacing decals with new bolder Seven font. Ti tubes lose the original smooth finish over time, but gain a certain patina to compensate. Can be smoothed with fine Scotchbrite pad. Expensive inital outlay, but not bad when amortized over the rest of your life.

May 1999 purchase. Over 6,000 miles so far plus endless inside trainer rides during the long winters. Understated grace. Configure it to meet your needs for stability/agility, compliance, etc. etc. Mine was built to be stable at high speeds and for comfort for long rides. It is both. I never thought I would feel assured going down a hill at 50 mph, but I do. Have never coveted another bike since, and never will. Fine little welds, beautiful curved stays. Wound-Up fork highly recommended. I am not a lightweight @ 190 and 5'10, but this ti frame can handle me. Seven knew all the necessary parameters and customized accordingly. Every detail in this frame is functional, elegant and pleasing to the eye, from the head badge to the pump peg to the seat clamp to the brake bridge to the chain hanger to the rear drop outs. They care and it shows.

Similar Products Used: Trek 2120 (though not really "similar")
Doug Pearl   Recreational Rider [Nov 21, 2003]
Strength:

The ride, ordering and custom process, Ti won't not rust or corrode, comfortable but still damn responsive.

Price, long wait, Seven talked me into more drastic top tube slope and head tube extension that I wanted which hurts the aesthetics a little

A near perfect balance between performance and comfort. That's the bottom line. Responsive but not harsh. The ordering process is xlnt and Seven delivered what they promised. It did take some time and effort, so this is not for those in a hurry. This bike is custom in every sense of the word - geometry, fit, tube selection, decal color, degree of top tube slope, components. Corners and handles like it's connected to my brain.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Zurich (Reynolds steel), Lemond Alpe d'Huez (Columbus steel), old Cannondale Al
brian Stein   Road Racer [Sep 18, 2003]
Strength:

cormfortable, fast, great fit and finish. ti finish looks good. Other riders ask questions.

ti finish requires maintenance to look good. Graphics are kind of plain. Takes a while to get the bike once oredered. expensive.

The bike is great. That's all there is to say. fit is perfect and the ride is perfect. I asked for an increase in drivetrain rigidity and I got it w/o the bike being to harsh vertically. The bike really moves fast up the hills when I stand. Buy the bike you won't regret it. .

Similar Products Used: cannondale 3.0 with utegra sti, mavic kysirium wheels and look pedals
jdbarr   Recreational Rider [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

A great fit, and quality ride. My cadence and distance increased immediately, not to mention enjoying a much higher comfort level.

As a client said in a letter to them, at Seven Cycles "custom" was something to be embraced, not endured. This is the quintessential fit, assisted by a proprietary process for tube customization. I love my Seven Axiom Ti!

Similar Products Used: Nothing in this league.
  Road Racer [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Everything.

None. Price is not a weakness, because you don't buy these bikes for value. You buy this bike because you want one of the finest custom frames made.

This review is for the Axiom Steel. The only adjective that fits this bike is "perfect." Seven's fit process is amazingly accurate. I specified that I wanted a laterally stiff frame for racing, including occasional time trials. I also wanted vertical compliance for long rides and centuries. I wanted the handling to be a bit quicker than my previous road bike, but I still wanted stability for descending. The result was exactly the bike I specified.

Similar Products Used: Paramount, Bianchi.