Trek 2300 2002 Road Bike

Trek 2300 2002 Road Bike

[Jun 13, 2009]
jim_alcala

Strength:

the frame with zr9000 and carnbon seatstays is a much better buy compared to a full carbon 5500

none that I can include except for the climbing feature which can be attributed to my gearing and the fact that I'm not using a triple

This bike is awesome.I own the 5500 as well but I cannot tell much difference.It's slightly heavier by about a pound but more sturdy and i feel more conmfortable with the stiffness that it gives me

trek 5500, litespeed hyperion

[Jan 05, 2004]
Eagle311

Strength:

Stiff frame on climbs/sprints Carbon fork Ultegra

Aluminum doesn't absorb road vibration Creaking

This was my first road bike and after a year, it is working very well for me. The aluminum frame is very stiff and every bump in the road is felt in the saddle. The carbon fork does a nice job of relieving some of the vibration to the handlebar. I now also own an '03 Trek 5500 and the difference between the aluminum and carbon is quite significant (as is the price). Compared to the carbon, the ride is quite harsh. Also, after about 1000 miles, I noticed a creaking noise developing from the bottom bracket, but wasn't major. A thorough drivetrain cleaning reduced it, but it came back soon enough. I am a light rider (125 lbs) and I found that the saddle works well for me, regardless of the mileage. It is quite hard, so it may be a problem for some. All in all, a great bike, but when it comes down to it, carbon is the way to go (if you have the option). I've seen other full Ultegra aluminum frames for less money, so if that is important, shop around.

'03 Trek 5500

[Aug 13, 2003]
Jimmy

Strength:

Light, competition worthy bike for if you dont want to spend a whole lot more to go carbon. Very fast. Maintainance is easy and I havent had any problems with anything.

Rock solid seat. Its OK for short rides or races but if your thinking of a long ride of 70+ miles get another saddle. The bontrager race lite tires handle and roll good but I am not so sure about the durability of them, I've got 1500 miles and they are cracking pretty bad. The tire bead is coming off too.

This bike is amazing. The ZR9000 frame is light and sturdy, and the carbon fork absorbs the road "buzz". The full Ultegra setup is great along with all the great Bontrager race and race lite gear.

Trek 1200

[Jul 30, 2003]
cbland

Strength:

Light frame Ultegra Very responsive Quick when you need it to be

Saddle - Unless you are 150lbs or less.

100 mile review: I went to my LBS to order a 2003 Trek 2200 for $1350 when the owner stated he has a left over 2002yr. 2300 in my size and for a hundred dollars more I could have it. I couldn't pass it up. This is my first quality road bike. A few years back I bought a Trek 1000 after getting sticker shock at other bikes. All bikes are not built the same. Comparing the two bikes is like night and day. Most Alum. bikes will rattle your fillings out of you teeth. Not this one, maybe because if the carbon fork and the new Alum (ZR9000). The fit is great and the bike can withstand all 225lbs. of me just fine. Quick to get up hills and great in the corners. I did get a Selle Italia gel Trans AM seat with Ti. rails and the cut out because the San Marco seat was rock hard. Also added the new Shimano Dura Ace 7750 pedals. Bontrager Tires are very stick and handle great in dry conditions but I have some question about durability. I have not had any issues with them yet but have met others that have. Overall this is a great bike for most of us if you can find any left over's.

[Jul 14, 2003]
Robby

Strength:

Light weight, fast, solid, well handling bike.

If you don't want your bike screwed up then don't take it to Village Cycle Center in Chicago. I ordered it with a double chain ring and got a triple (back to the shop). The handlebar stem was mounted wrong. On the first (and last) "free" tune up, they scratched my paint. I took my MTB in for new cables, they screwed them up leaving the cables way too long and loosened my endos (thank you, I really needed THAT!) They "forgot" to give me cleat shims that was supposed to come w/the shoes (back to the shop) I do all my own work now and will NEVER shop or recommend the Village idiots to anyone again. Go to your nearest LBS and not Village Cycle. There should be a LBSReview.com site!!

2000 mile review: I got 1800 miles out of the Bontrager tires and replaced them with the same. Good, sticky, long lasting tires after hammering them down. Replaced the seat and post after ~200 miles of bruising. Record carbon post and Selle Italia Fluid seat fixed that. The Era seat is appropriately named. I named it "The Brick" (although a brick may be softer). Ultegra components are great, minor normal adjustments only. IMO,this is a great bike at a good price. Responds fast and solid. I've had to pull a few fancy maneuvers to avoid idiots and this bike's reflexes are amazing. Has saved my life at least twice.

First road racer. My other car is a Specialized Rockhopper aluminum frame w/Ahead set stem and Rock Shock front and newly mounted brick for a saddle.

[Jul 02, 2003]
Jonas Olsson

Strength:

Stiff, light, quality

Price (but not realy a problem), handelbars, sadel.

I was looking for my first ever roadbike that I had planed to by for a long time. I have bin riding a MTB with racing sliks before. I was 99% ready to go for a Giant TCR ONCE frame but a visit to my local bike shop changed my mind after an hour. I it had everything I wanted exept that I changed the sadel to a Sele Iatalia trans AM gel titanium. And I bought Look 296 pedals. The tires is changed to Continental GP3000. The bike model is 2002 starry night color. Looks are very nice and the aluminium frame are stiff and light. handelbars not so stiff but handels great even if standing up. Price is high but the quality are even better. I was suspissious about bontrager. I have riden 1500 km and no problems has hapend yet. This is a bike thats hard to replace for the same money.

Road equipt MTB

[Sep 15, 2002]
bruce b

Strength:

light, responsive, good components, and I like thinking about the high tech zirconium alloy

none that I can tell

this is my first real road bike. I've got 300 miles on it now, and did 46 miles one day on a labor day weekend ride. No real complaints

[Jul 15, 2002]
Barry

Strength:

Everything.

Stem and Bars.

I love IT! It's my first road bike and already this year I have racked up a few top 10 finishes. They say it's the bike!! I'm 6'1, 215# and the bike climbs, descendes, and cruises without any flex. I can hammer on hills or sprint like crazy and the bike doesnt even wiggle in the least. There is a bit of flex with the Bontrager bars and stem. A new stem and bars could quickly curb that.

[Jun 21, 2002]
benja15

Strength:

acceleration, ultegra, carbon fork

the wheels, although perform well, the rear is not dished well and they are difficult to true

This bike is great. It accelerates well and glides along smoothly. The frame is stiff giving power for hamming the peddles and the bike is overall very light. It seems stable for out of the seat peddling. The bike handles quick and does well on the rough country roads. The components are great the wheels perform well besides them being difficult to true and the rear being out of dish ( and not easily fixable ) the bike may be slightly overpriced for regular retail but it still is a good value

old cannondale criterium series, bought used

[Jun 12, 2002]
hairywinston

Strength:

Frame Material, build quality, full ultegra, and it just look so darned cool.

Maybe price if you are just looking at the components alone.

This is my first road bike. I tried 10's of road bikes. I have ridden a MRB for the last 10 years or so and wanted to try the road thing. I read all the reviews that I could. Many say that steel is the most comfy, carbon is the strongest, lightest, and most forgiving on rough roads. That aluminum is the harshest and that you really need to buy a $4000.00 bike to have something that is nice. I have ridden just about everything they sell in Houston. I am a 225 pound "hammer dog" as one friend put it. The aluminum seemed to flex the least for me, and yet was comfy. The 2300 had great wheels and full ultegra. The frame is lite, not that it matters that much to me and it gives good feedback. I chose this bike based on its many merits and not price. I didn't go with the carbon trek because it felt weird to me. Like I couldn't feel the how the ground was under me. I ride on a variety of different roads, and it feels good comfy to me. It doesn't flex when I sprint and it still feels good at the end of the ride. I don't ride but 20-50 miles a day so I can't speak for the long haulers.

Kestrel, Cannondale(I own one of their MTB's), Giant, Klein, and Litespeed.