Trek 5500 2002 Road Bike

Trek 5500 2002 Road Bike

[Jan 03, 2011]
Tracer X

Strength:

Light, Fast, Cool metallic blue/purple color & Comfortable.

No replaceable deraillure hanger. Must be carefull of torque pressures on carbon parts. Needs a 12-27 cassette for hilly rides.

I ride extreme mtb. This is my first road bike. I was extremely lucky to find this much bike at the price I paid. It is truly a diamond in the rough find. I got it to ride with my road friends. My first ride was 33 mi. of moderate climbs & downhill. I was able to keep up with 10 yr. experienced riders with ease. 19 mph avg. speed. I'm sure the light weight & comfortable ride of the carbon fiber helped tremendously. This bike is 8 yrs old & still looks & rides like a new one. I definately recommend this bike. 16.7 pounds as configured.

[Dec 09, 2002]
iwilson

Strength:

looks, strength, smoothness and overall feel of the bike

only the rider

i purchased the trek 5500 from the new trek concept store in lakeland fl in oct of 02. don, the owner does an unbelievable job of bike fitting. i settled on the trek 5500. i now have about 800 miles on the bike and can say so far, its magnificent. handling is crisp, smooth and predictable. acceleration is fabulous, expecially on climbs. i love the feel of the bike. i wouldnt call it a wooden or dead feel as some have said. its just a smooth road feel. the frame feels stiff, so acceleration is great. you have got to ride this bike to believe it.

colonago classic, lemond nevada city, cannondale 1000, and litespeed

[Dec 05, 2002]
jdwilkin

Strength:

Ride quality, handling, Dura-Ace group, Trek

Paint, decals

This is my first quality road bike, so, I can only compare to a few test rides of various aluminum and titanium bikes. It sure eclipses my old 24.5 lb. steel Miata in every way except character. My posterior and hands/wrists love the ride quality of the carbon frame. I'm a "climber" and enjoy seeing more of my energy converted into forward motion with this bike. The bike corners like a racer - - I'm sure the Conti GP 3000s deserve a lot of that credit for that - - but the frame is clearly well sorted. As some of the other reviewers, I noted some cheesy finish work on the paint, decals, bar taping and wheel trueness. The paint chips if you so much as fart near it. I shopped thoroughly and this was the most bike I could find for $3k. Now I just need for winter to end so I can stop staring at it and ride again! Oh yeah, 1,500 foot mtn. passes still hurt, even with 8 fewer pounds of bike on board! ;-)

[Nov 14, 2002]
jcpyun

Strength:

Perfect combination of compliance and acceleration Weight Looks Carbon mystique

Kind of expensive (But worth every penny)

Wow!! An incredible frame. Perfect combination of efficiency and compliance. I'm mostly used to aluminum racing bikes (Klein Quantum Pro, Bianchi XL EV2, Giant TCR0). Acceleration is very important to me since I'm a sprinter and race mostly crits. This bike is on par as far as acceleration is concerned (Perhaps just a tad softer than the Klein). The comfort and compliance however, is where this frame outshines all those listed above. This frame smoothes out the vibrations and the larger bumps, and really improves your long distance endurance and overall speed. I will never go back to aluminum again.

2000 Klein Quantum Pro 1999 Bianchi XL EV2 1999 Giant TCR 0

[Oct 28, 2002]
mark

Strength:

performance & weight to price ratio - nothing else can touch it Thats $159/pound! Compare

its mass produced, unexciting deep blue color and my ability to ride it 6 hours a day.

This bike rides incredibly smooth. It just wants you to keep increasing the speed and hammering. This is a bike that will not limit the performance of very many people for hihg performance road riding and racing. Just ask Lance. It is very stiff while climbing and sprinting yet very compliant on the rough roads. stability at 60 mph is no problem - it just wants more. Every time I ride it, I come home thinking "I'm not worthy". I demo'd a Moots (Ti) and a Lemond Ti and this bike wieighed much less, rides much smoother (altho the Lemond road pretty nice too), is spot-on in the handling department and costs a WHOLE lot less. If Team Postal can ride this bike and kick butt, how can anyone else go wrong. It is one sweet ride. High end-zoot bikes are great but the 5500 must be the king of the "performance to price ratio".

Aegis carbon w/ Shimano 600 components

[Oct 23, 2002]
shivasinai

Strength:

Comfortable yet light, easy to maintain, and its potential matches yours.

Looks a little boring and won't turn a good rider into a great one.

It works, basically. When you attempt to shift or brake with Dura-Ace, it does so, exactly as much as you want, every attempt. When you want to accelerate, it accelerates. When you climb, the frame refuses to hold you back. Perhaps not the best bike ever-- it's only as good as its rider.

Demo'd various Cannondales, Bianchis, and Treks (aluminum line).

[Oct 18, 2002]
Lizardman

Strength:

Weight(!), stiffness, responsiveness, long-haul comfort, bang for the buck.

It still has certain "mass-produced" qualities, and cosmetic quality control issues are evident.

Incredible bike!! Very fast, incredibly maneuverable (but not nervous), incredible climbing ability. Basically, the bike makes me perform much better than I deserve for the amount of training I do. The first impression you get when you ride it is that it just wants to GO FAST. I mean it almost feels like it is pedaling itself. I've slaughtered every PR of mine for the local loops on this beast... its incredible! It climbs like a dream and feels as solid and stable as the rock of Gibralter when cranking out of the saddle or descending (even at speeds of 40-45mph+). I have no complaints about the carbon "ride" of the bike. If anything, I like it quite a bit. The feeling is fairly unique, and a bit deceptive. The bike soaks up a lot of the high-frequency road noise, but when you hit a bump you notice right away that the frame is as stiff as a tungsten rod. I've noticed that the result is much less general body fatigue over longer distances. I get off the bike feeling fresher than I used to. I did a lot of shopping before buying this bike (over $3000 is a lot of scratch!), and found this bike to be the performance/price ratio. Sure you could buy a Colnago, Fondriest, or other high-end bike (foreign or domestic), but the marginal performance increase would be small compared to the additional money spent (almost twice the cost for the examples named). My one complaint is that the bike still has a mass-produced feel to it, and has some cosmetic quality issues as a result. You can tell that Trek was trying to cut costs as much as possible.... the drop-outs look slapped on (with very visible sanding marks and obvious finning and flash from moulds), and the decals (which is being charitable... they are really just stickers) are pretty far out of alignment (not enough to notice just looking, but the owner will notice after a ride or two). I've looked at the LBS and this seems to be prevalent on lots of them. Still, in spite of the "issues" I would highly recommend this bike to anybody. Trek obviously had to cut corners to deliver this much bike for the money, and it is such a value that I don't mind doing without the fancy paint job and ultra-polished look that more expensive bikes have.... I just want to go fast and kick other people's butts with a solid bike! BTW: I hurried up to get a 2002 when I found out that Trek will bundle heavier components i

Steel and aluminum alloy frames, both custom built (Strawberry from Portland.... a great bike!), and off the sales floor (Centurion, Diamond Back, Specialized).

[Oct 16, 2002]
oregonyankee

Strength:

OCLV frame; Dura-Ace.

My legs.

Having ridden a Trek 2200 SL Aluminum for about a year, I felt it was time for the 'big time.' What a sweet bike the 5500 is! Stiff, light (see setup) and fast. The road dampening effect of carbon is great; but most of all, this bike is quality throughout. I hear tell that the 2003 models come with slightly downgraded wheels and a couple of other components. Get yourself an '02 5500 if you can. You will not regret it.

Cannondale; Trek 2200; Trek 5200

[Aug 28, 2002]
ChefBamBam

Strength:

Its climbing ability is second to NONE! The smooth ride. In fact the WHOLE bike is one big strength. Trek hit the mark with this bike!! Way to go Trek!

ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!

This Bike is, in my opinion, the best ROAD BIKE out there! The ride is the smoothest, fastest and most enjoying ride I have ever had on a road bike. It climbs like a Mountain Goat going up the side of a steep mountain...fast and very sure of itself. The bike that I had before this 5500, also a Trek...a Trek 2100, that was almost 10 years old and still going strong, seems like now a bike that was stuck in the mud. The 5500 is like a rocket sled on rails, its just that fast. I bought this bike right off of the showroom floor and only added a couple of water bottles and Look pedals to it. With the Dura-Ace components, this bike is so easy to keep a cadence of 80rpms or higher on long rides.

Trek 2100

[Aug 27, 2002]
Joe Poteet

Strength:

Dura Ace, Climbs like crazy, It also descends well

Have not found any

I had ridden my Trek 6700 MTB most of the summer but I did not feel I could comfortably ride a century on it. I looked for a road bike for the first time since 1987 ( A Centurion ). I looked at some of the other brands almost got a Cannondale 700. However everytime I saw the 5500 I really wanted to buy it. The local bike shop got in the new 2003 models and I took one for a test ride. That is all that it took I was hooked. A little over a month ago I bought it. I am so glad that I did. I love the bike it climbs like crazy and is so quiet and fast. Sure it is expensive but I look at it this way with Dura Ace its the best. Most of the time if it weren't for the little shifter indicator on the cable I would not even realize that I shifted. I also really like the new red color for 2003 that I bought. I am a big ridder at 6-5" tall and this bike is just awesome. I rode my first century last Sunday and completed it in just over 6 hours. The frame seems to soak up much of the rode bumps. If you go into a bike shop somewhere and think that bike looks to good to be true or worth that much money buy the 5500 you won't be disappointed its an awesome bike worth every penny.

Old Centurion road bike 1987.