Bianchi Volpe 2002 Touring Bike

Bianchi Volpe 2002 Touring Bike

[Oct 29, 2008]
elinora

Strength:

strong like iron. so versatile, so speedy. built like a tank and geometry that stays comfortable even when you're riding all day.

as mentioned, the paint is very easily chipped - I actually think this is kind of a good thing, because it means it's less appealing to thieves. My rear shifter bit the dust about two years in, so I replaced it with an Ultegra shifter and haven't had any problems. (It broke because I got sand in it, I think, but a note of warning about STI shifters - once they stop working, they're almost impossible to fix.)

I LOVE my volpe. love it love it love it. I bought it new in 2004, all stock parts except a Selle Italia Dolce Ti saddle. The Tiagra components were fine, and the build was rock solid. My Volpe has taken me across the country twice and about 9,000 miles all told. At this point, I've replaced all the components except the headset (which is still great) and the cranks.

[Jul 16, 2008]
aimee bishoff

Strength:

Great speed, durable tires, comfortable saddle, hardy break pads, good control. Great beginner bike for those used to the size, weight, and style of mountain bikes.

Tiagra front derailer needs constant adjustment and doesn't seem to be very compatible with the Sugino crank set. Looking into swapping the derailer out for a smoother component. Drop-outs are a little testy

I love the sturdy ride. Definitely holds up on rugged Oakland street terrain. Pretty fast for the weight and very comfortable. This is my first non-mountain bike and it was easy to adjust to a road bike set up with the Volpe's cyclocross features. I have noticed considerable adjustment issues with the front derailer, and the clunky shifting has been an issue when climbing.

[May 29, 2008]
solid_blake

Strength:

Strong, Sturdy, Unique, and perfect for both long tours and local commuting.

It's a bit heavy (especially with a Pannier/Top Bag/Rear Saddle set-up); however, I've yet to have an overloading problem. The paint does need some touching up after a few nicks/scrapes.

I found my Volpe from a seller on Craig's List and I've been in love with this bike ever since. As reviewers have already mentioned, this bike is truly unique. I've taken this bike on a few tours around the New England area and it has yet been matched by any loose gravel, dirt road, or pothole. For longer tours, I'll make sure to throw in the extra pair of nobbies I have to tackle some tough back-roads/trails. This bike is fast for a hybrid and extremely stable. I love tailing bike messengers throughout the Boston area. I could go on and on about how satisfied I am with this bike.

None, this bike is beautifully unique.

[Aug 28, 2007]
Vinh Ho

Strength:

Solid frame; no worries that it'll break down on a long road trip.

None that I know of.

The Volpe is a great touring/commuter rig, though, the Surly Cross-Check maybe a strong alternative. I've used it mainly as a commuter for those 'round the town errands as well as a grocery-go-getter.
Recently, the ride quality was phenomenal at the 400K Korea East/West Coast Ride spring 2007.
Looking forward to keeping it humming and tackling San Francisco hills on my August move there.

[Apr 22, 2004]
tvphobic

Strength:

comfortable, nice geometry, exceedingly versatile

Heavy-ish. Tiagra hub cones aren't impossible to pit, LBS's don't like carrying cones. Don't over tighted the screws on Avid Shortys, they will strip; mind you, Avid is an excellent company, they warranted the "back tension" adjustment screws. Excellent!

This is an update to the review below. The Volpe is very sturdy and comfortable, but like another reviewer points out, the paint dings very easily. Everything on the bike is fairly heavy, but the saddle is better than I first thought. The Nashbar legend saddle I bought is too soft, went back to the Celeste stock saddle, which is quite heavy but harder. The more cycling you do, the more you will dislike soft saddles.

[Nov 09, 2003]
Whitney Moyer

Strength:

A true tank. This beast has carried myself and 60lbs of groceries 15 miles home many a time.

The paint is awful. Many chips that require routine touchups. I had to replace the bottom bracket within 8 months. The wellgo pedals gave up the ghost at about 6 months of use, but I expected that. The tiagradeore shifting can be a bit clunky - but do you expect precision with a tank?

This is the bike you're looking for if you have a long commute on bad roads, like to haul pianos, or take a trip across the country. This bike, with my BOB trailer, is my car replacement. It's rock solid and has withstood thousands of miles commuting on the worst roads southeastern Virginia had to offer. The 520 steel/relaxed geometry make it extremely comfortable on long trips as well. Overall, I think this Bianchi hits a price/performance target that no other manufacturer has to offer.

This is my only touring bike. I tried my friend's Trek 520, but did not like the bar-end shifters and price.

[May 11, 2003]
tvphobic

Strength:

Ultra versatile. Surefooted steel ride. Once the wheels are true, almost immune to breakage.

Mavic T221 wheels are not the ultimate in light strength, but they do take a beating. Leave the WTBs, then put some skinnier tyres on lighter wheels like CXP23s for swappage. Tiagra is clunkier than 105, but an excellent value.

There are enough reviews of this bike so a overview should be brief. The Volpe was a hybrid bike, back from before hybrids were MTB's with 700x32C's. It's a beefy steel road bike with cantilever brakes to accomodate (if necessary) fatter tyres.

I don't think there is a similar product. As far as I know, the Volpe is the only touring bike that was designed to not wince at dirt roads.

[Jun 05, 2002]
Rinaldo

Strength:

Reynolds frame, Tiagra group, Bianchi quality.

None found yet.

Love this bike. Great crossover potential, can use for around town road riding, training, or touring. Started with a Jamis Coda, which is a nice bike, but longed for the flexibility of the many hand positions offered by drop handlebars. Didn't want a road racer-type bike since I need to haul gear on my bike. The Volpe is a workhorse as well as a nice looking and hi-performing road bike. A chameleon, if you will.

Jamis Coda (sort of similar in the "all around bike" context)

[May 16, 2002]
Chuck

Strength:

Solid. fairly light (compared to the panasonic anyway.)

Too soon to tell.

Decent ride. Took a bit of getting used to as the position is a bit more aggressive then I expected. Climbs nicely and the seat is becoming comfortable. Altogether it seems to makea nice all around road bike. I hope to start commuting on it (15 miles each way) this summer. Got the bike on sale, I actually intended to buy a brava. But the price for the Vole was about what I was planning to spend for the Brava so upgrade time.

Mostly I ride mountain bikes, the closest thing I have to the volpe is an old Panasonic Touring bike.